DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
2 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

October 30, 2005, 07:34 PM

Ok all. There has been a lot of accidents on 211. A lot of people have come to me and asked me about 211. They hear the same thing - Its awesome but a lot of people crash on it. they dont know EXACTLY WHY people are crashing. So, here is your chance to talk about 211. Everone knows about it so we dont have to hide names or whatever. Lets talk about it turn by turn. Where it starts, ends, elevations, put pictures, whatever it takes to TEACH people this mountain and show the DANGERS of it. Any pics/vids/maps/points where acidents usually happen and where they have happened, whatever would be appreciated.

I havent ridden 211 in a couple of years - and I really don't plan to go back anytime soon. I think there are a lot better roads out there than 211. BUT LETS KEEP THIS ON TRACK! NO HIJACKING PLEASE!!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 30, 2005, 08:09 PM

There are two turns where most crashes happen. They are both on the east side of the mountain heading west. The first is the left hander where the ascent really begins. I think the problem here is people getting in the rhythm of all the sweepers leading into it. They panic focus on the guardrail, hit the brakes and run street into it.

The next turn is just around the bend. This is a deceptive right hander that sucks you in, encouraging you to get on the gas. But just as you getting comfortable is when it tightens up really quick, seemingly 90 degrees sharp. If you don't know this, you're in for some trouble. Screwing up in this turn puts you into oncoming traffic. Consider yourself lucky if you make it to the guardrail on the other side of the road.

I first rode 211 about 9 years ago. I didn't know anyone else that rode and I found it by myself. There was very little traffic out there at that time. I had no cautions about this road. I got caught out by the right hander I mentioned above. I kept it on my side of the road, but barely.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

October 30, 2005, 08:12 PM

I went riding up there last weekend and there is construction with gravel on the road after you exit Skyline Drive. I could see how someone who isn't familar with the road could be caught off guard on one of those gravel corners. It just depends on hard you are pushing it and the amount of traffic in front of you. Ride smart!
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 30, 2005, 09:56 PM

It actually is hard to say stay away from the road, because in all honesty, it is a fun road.

I'm really just tired of stupid people riding with no common sense.

The thing is people go up there thinking that if they ride it enough, they'll learn all the turns and ride it faster and faster.

I don't even do that with the road I grew up on. Idiots.

Peace!

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#5)
Super Moderator

October 30, 2005, 10:16 PM

Does anyone have an arial map of 211?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#6)
Dressed for Success

October 30, 2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
How about a drawing?

Full size image here: http://www.dcsportbikes.net/coppermi.../11854/211.JPG
Unread
  (#7)
Resident Rodent

October 30, 2005, 11:26 PM

I have a lot I can say ... and post about 211.

Several years of videos and pix. Good times, near misses, screw-ups, my fault, somebody else's fault, crashes, injuries, memorials, police, ambulances .... many things.

It's a very dangerous place.

I'll summarize with this single picture. The message ... "45 MPH is fast enough" ...

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

October 30, 2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
How about a drawing?

Full size image here: http://www.dcsportbikes.net/coppermi.../11854/211.JPG
Cool..Maybe we should have each turn numbered so it would give people a reference..

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#9)
Owner & Creator

October 31, 2005, 06:02 AM

I don't ride like this anymore lol. This is 3 yrs old
last left sweeper before the top.
Unread
  (#10)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 31, 2005, 06:18 AM

You know, I know 211 is a through road, and is one of the only ones out there that crosses the mountain, but it would be interesting to talk to the LEOs out there about closing down the road for 1 or 2 weekends a year, so that bikers could get 211 out of thier systems.
Seems that a lot of people just view 211 as a free track day. Keep in mind, though, the next time you're pushing the limits on 211, it takes about 45 mins for an ambulance to get to you, let alone get you to a hospital.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

October 31, 2005, 06:52 AM

its an awsome road,
i think one of the most dangerous things is rider focus or what ever you call it.
that is when you focus on the guy ahead of you instead of the twist and if he looses control you go right behind him becuase there is nowhere to go on the tight road.
the other thing is prepare your bike you really get to lean your bike, last time i saw it there was a susuki scraping the hell out of his muffler and he had to bike the bullet since he could not stop cuase there where to many bikers behing him coming at high speed.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 31, 2005, 07:05 AM

James, is that area near woostock , luray? can you tell me the town next to it.
i always follow so i never know where the heck i am!
thanks

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#13)
opossum puncher

October 31, 2005, 07:56 AM

One turn that always got to me was on the east side of the mountain going west, its about 4 or 5 turns in, its a right hander, if you are in the left lane the elevation change mid-turn will push you wide in to oncomming traffic, trying to lean hard can cause you to run out of lean angle, best aproach is to be in the right lane for that turn, or if possible turn in early from the left lane in to the right lane.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#14)
Owner & Creator

October 31, 2005, 08:19 AM

The problem with 211 if you wreck going up the moutain on any right sweeper you are bound to go into incoming traffic, hit a car, get dragged under a car, hit a guardrail, etc... I've seen someone on the board wreck by hitting a reflector on a tiny small right sweeper and went across traffic. I've seen someone get hit by a car head on.
Unread
  (#15)
One and Only

October 31, 2005, 08:26 AM

It's just another fucking road. C'mon people, go get lost sometime. You find stuff even more fun.

Talking about it like it's something important certainly isn't going to help the situation. You're taking a place that every moron and his brother wants to hide, and mystifying it. Smart.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca