DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
2 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 4, 2005, 08:46 AM

I think it would be a good idea if we talked about crashes so perhaps some of the newer riders (and more seasoned too) can get some ideas and possibly learn from then. When you are new you often hear the terms Lowside, Highside, Tankslapper, etc.

Please post up about a crash you have been in and/ or avoided and what you learned from it. Post what kind of bike you were riding. What time of year it was. Where it was, etc.

Let's set some basic ground rules:

No bashing people for what they have to say.
No making fun of people or bashing them about their crash.
Stay on topic and don't thread hijack.

Let's see if we can make this a positive and constructive thread with good information

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
One and Only

November 4, 2005, 08:50 AM

Tankslappers are bad, trust me.

Once you start going backwards with the rear wheel still spinning, it's ok to let off the gas and grab a handful of brake. Trust me.

That is all.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#3)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 4, 2005, 09:16 AM

Do not grab a handful of front brake in a turn.
Do not suddenly release a handful of front brake midturn.
Be careful when using the rear brake in a turn (hi Rob!)

In general just don't do any "sudden movements" when it comes to your brakes or throttle when you're in a turn.

And try not to panic, chances are your bike can make that turn no matter what you think.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

November 4, 2005, 09:21 AM

race track speed in a turn never hit the front brakes not even a tiny bit trust me.
Unread
  (#5)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 4, 2005, 09:22 AM

This is as great info, but I am looking for some crash examples. Your story. What happened. What was learned. Real life experience. Not stuff that can be found in a book.

I am hoping to give examples of Highside, Lowsides, TankSlappers, etc.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 4, 2005, 09:25 AM

Crash: Swung wide turning onto a small bridge and both wheels spun out in a circle through some gravel, turning me 180 degrees on my ass.

Lesson: Stay in tire lanes on a bridges that cross at 90 degrees from the road.

like that?

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#7)
Nothing here

November 4, 2005, 10:05 AM

I posted my tank slapper wreck in the other thread about 211. I still don't know what happened, but I did learn a valuable lesson that no matter your time in seat something can happen. Always ride with respect for the power even smaller bikes have. Tank slappers are very bad indeed.
Unread
  (#8)
Resident Rodent

November 4, 2005, 10:08 AM

Don't use wet ramps when loading bike into truck that has bald tires. (LOL)

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#9)
Dont remember how to ride

November 4, 2005, 10:09 AM

June 21st - VIR North - heading into the rollercoaser (Turn 14) - I had been chasing this guy that had passed me going into turn 1 - he kept parking it in the corners... so he'd go from being waaaay in front, to stopping so short his back tire being all I could see. (this should have bben a hint)

Heading into the downhill right hander, he did it again (DUH!) and I pulled the classic - aww sh^t! Grabbed an handful of front break - I was already leaned over - and next thing I knew my brand new double bubble screen had broken in half, hit me in the middle of the visor, I was draggin knee, elbow, hip and butt and then asphault-surfing at about 50+ mph.

Lessons learned - DO NOT GRAB A HANDFUL OF FRONT BRAKE IN A TURN (duh!!) ... and expecting the guy in front of you to behave any other way than how he has been behaving for the previous 17 turns on a track is just retarded.

- also ... that the gator strips will change your surfing attitude (body position) rather rapidly. And - I learned that I bounce AND roll kinda like a super ball on crack after I crash.

05 GSXR 600 "Dusty" ... sigh.
00 VFR Interceptor 800Fi

Yellow makes everything faster....

and 's make everything faaabulous.

Don't just show up every day... BRING IT.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kimmyT244  
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

November 4, 2005, 10:19 AM

this happened in the summer of 1989.i was rideing my 86 yamaha fazer with a friend who was
on his new cbr 600.another friend was following in a car.we stoped at the friends girlfriends
house.the friend in the car was mad because i let a HONDA beat me there.then the guy on the
cbr starts to brag how fast his bike is.now ime pissed.so off we go for lunch.2 bikes and a car.
we take a rout through some twisties i have never been through before.we get on a long strait,
rideing side by side at 100 mph.cbr guy starts to give his bike a few shots.as if to chalange me.
i look over and say lets go.i twist her as far as it would go.i am amazed he dosen't follow.while
looking in the mirror i missed seeing a sign.SHARP TURN TO THE RIGHT.i went over a little rolling hill,and there it was. i got it scrubed down to 100 mph befor i hit the ditch.of corse there was a big
rock waiting for me.i go flying,fourtanely my bike cartwheels off to the side of me.i walked away from that crash,with the wind nocked out of me and one sore back.the bike cost $3000.00 to fix.
to many mistakes to list.ONE SCARY LESSON LEARNED.
Unread
  (#11)
Typical Stripper

November 4, 2005, 10:44 AM

Pre-ride... You never know whats around that next turn... it could be a bunch of things, but enough gravel to be shoveled will sure fuck up your day.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

November 4, 2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
Didn't use the rear brake until I was off the track in a vain attempt to slow down.

To keep on topic, grabbing front brake mid-turn is an automatic highside, which is arguably worse than a lowside. If you feel yourself drifting in the turn, the only way to change that is to lean over a bit more and just ride the turn out. Unfortunately that isn't always an option.

Crashes happen in a split second and honestly your instincts will react faster than you will.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

November 4, 2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
Didn't use the rear brake until I was off the track in a vain attempt to slow down.
You killed my joke.

(even if it was apparently horribly inaccurate)

I've had a few crashes.. only two really have a story -

Going through the mountains in WV I turned in harder than necesary... as I was going through the turn I got cautious as to how close to the ground I was so I looked down. Well you go where you look and the bike just dove in harder.. I hit the yellow line and lost all of my traction... went asphalt surfing after that. Lesson learned : look where you want to go, not where you are or where you were.

Other one is a classic. So I was ON MY WAY TO TECH INSPECTION at VIR North. As I was leaving my pit row I put on the front brakes because I couldn't see around a trailer to see if there was traffic. Cold tires + sand = lost front end. I almost stayed upright but the bike just fell over. Lesson learned : I'm a tardass, and you can crash anytime at any speed (I was doing like 10mph tops).
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

November 4, 2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Crashes happen in a split second and honestly your instincts will react faster than you will.
This is the best comment thus far.

These are the reasons behind rider education, and seat time... because when this stuff happens, you reactions are going to effect your total outcome, regardless.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

November 4, 2005, 11:50 AM

when you get on your first bike after the MSF, do not roll the throttle .
ease into it or the bike will leave you standing.
125cc very different to 500cc bike. respect the power of the bike. its not a toy anymore. you could seriosly Puck yourself up.
wear protective gear "always"

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."