DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
2 members and 575 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Low side on 211
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Low side on 211 - June 3, 2012, 08:21 PM

My first wreck. Low sided on 211. We were headed back up the mountain on the abandoned hotel side. It was a right hand turn that tightened up on the last part of it. I looked, leaned, and accelerated smoothly. Apparently I leaned a little too low, and my peg hit, causing the rear to kick up, and I didnt regain traction after that. The bike slid across all three lanes and into the drainage ditch. I slid to a stop in the oncoming lane. Thank God there were not any cars coming.

Wallet saved my ass. Literally.

Slider did its job. No damage to the frame. Bummed about the crank case, but I'm thinking about taking off both sides and getting them powder coated black to match the rest of the bike. Thoughts?

I also will need to get a replacent rear brake lever.

The only damage to the tank. Very hard to notice unless your looking for it. Fixable? Touch up paint?

Passenger seat cover is messed up. Hoping I can get that painted. The 796 and italian flag are just decals so I'm assuming I can get that somewhere online. The paint is a satin finish, could I paint it myself? Exhaust is scratched up and bent. I'm planning on getting slip ons eventually anyways. The cover is flat black, I've already sanded it down and can paint that myself. I'm not sure if the right slip-on is bent, or if both of them are. I'm going to stop by the dealership tomorrow and take measurments of a stock 796 to see exactly where they are supposed to go,and determine where exactly mine is bent.

Need new levers, mirrors, and the end cap to the handlebar. Any advice? I've heard good things about some of the chinese knock-offs.

Overall I'm pretty lucky. Minimal damage to the bike and I'm not hurt at all. Thanks to the guys who stopped and helped.

Will be picking up a set of leathers on Friday.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk

Last edited by TTViper; June 3, 2012 at 08:27 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

June 3, 2012, 08:32 PM

You lucked out dude.

You have no idea how many cars barrel down the opposite side of that road and tractor trailers are the worst offenders.

You could have been a splat and nobody would have faulted the drivers in the other lane.

Be careful.
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

June 3, 2012, 08:38 PM

Very true. I was taking it slow all day too. Just trying to learn the mountain. Unfortunately I came into that corner a little too fast for my abilities.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 3, 2012, 08:39 PM

Good fortune certainly was on your side about the oncoming traffic. Whenever I unintentionally get left of a roads center I mentally tell myself I just crashed for that exact reason because whether you're up on two or sliding - once you cross that center line you better pray nothing is coming your way.

Looks like that jacket absorbed some serious damage! Glad you came out all right. Bike looks good for having slide across three lanes! A bit of tender loving care and she'll be better than new!

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
On vacation

June 3, 2012, 08:39 PM

Glad you're OK. Not to argue with you, but I doubt your footpeg leveraged your rear tire off the ground. With the weight of you and the bike and the fact that it's a stock, spring-loaded footpeg, it would have folded up before making you crash. I'm gonna guess that you might have carried too much lean angle and lost one of the tires. I'm saying that so you take something away from this and hopefully prevent it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#6)
No more 1050 :(

June 3, 2012, 08:40 PM

Tank damage might buff out.... for the seat cowl, hit up Fast Eddie in Manassas Park. Dude does good work for a very reasonable price...

For mirrors, I love the bar end ones... I find visibility to be much better than stockers, and like the lower profile look. They also hold up well in crashes... mine is all scratched up, but fine otherwise.
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 3, 2012, 08:44 PM

First off, glad you're okay, that you were wearing proper gear, and that the bike didn't get too banged up.

You lucked out in terms of damage and I'd definitely recommend sticking with the same sliders you had considering how well they held up.

When it comes to replacement parts you should only use quality known parts from reputable manufacturers. You won't save a lot more (when you think about it) going with knock offs and the added benefit is others not thinking you're cheap when they notice the parts are knock offs.

CRG and ASV made amazing levers, even though they aren't the only quality brands out there they are brands that many of us have a positive history with.

I would definitely look in to having the case covers coated to both 'cover' the scratches and enhance the look. You might be able to simply buff out the scratches on the tank.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)
Stand Collector

June 3, 2012, 08:49 PM

Paul, hope u heal up quick man, you were very lucky that you bounced right up and the bike was rideable plus no oncoming traffic between your wreck, Ryan's wreck and the domino games at the rest stop, today was no good glad your okay man

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 3, 2012, 09:08 PM

Whoah man that bike was beuatiful! I'm sure you will bring it back to its pristine condition, if not better, as discussed.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#10)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 4, 2012, 07:32 AM

Paul

Get into Monkey suite. Plenty of knowledge here to help with bike. Throwing some random conclusions: You might have touched rear brake as reflex or you leaned too much for the slow speed. I was familiar with both

Last edited by goa360; June 4, 2012 at 07:45 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Snow Whore

June 4, 2012, 08:00 AM

I have that same bike. The torque on the 796 is tricky in tight turns, it bumps when you dont want it to and at serious angles you can find the back end moving easily. The key I found was to be back onthe power before the corner so that I can keep the throttle smooth through the turn. The stock Rossos hold up very well but you may have too much air pressure in them to give you the grip on the steep lean. I found myself running them a few pounds under the recommended pressure for better grip. (kills the life but you get much better performance)

There are obviously a lot of factors that could have played but its very possible with the tight turn and your lean angle that the front washed out first. I have noticed on my monster that the front tire takes a beating and the wear line is way closer to the edge than I expected. I assume its due to the wheelbase and riding angle of the bike.

The tank and back section are plastic. I think Ducati sells new 'skins' for under a Grand. You might buff out the scratches but the black will become glossy and not the flat sheen you are used to. You will only get that batman back with a new set of skins.

All in all I think you are a lucky dood for walking away with some bumps and scratches on that road. Also is that a textile jacket? Looks like the elbow section didnt hold up too well. Maybe some leather is in your future.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 4, 2012, 08:04 AM

Satin clear coat over the buffed black would likely be a must more cost effective solution over replacing a $1k tank skin, especially when the damage is a few small scratches.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 4, 2012, 08:45 AM

Paul, glad you walked away with minimal damage. I remember checking my mirrors and seeing the bike sliding two times your speed into the ditch. At least you wisely spent some cash on some gear and frame sliders. Now time to upgrade to leather & boots. See you out there soon.

#1 Machine: Open Class Suzuki GS500K2 / Bridgestone package
#2 Machine: Factory Suzuki GSXR600K6 / Bridgestone package - Garage queen
Unread
  (#14)
Snow Whore

June 4, 2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Satin clear coat over the buffed black would likely be a must more cost effective solution over replacing a $1k tank skin, especially when the damage is a few small scratches.
Agreed. The skins come with front fender, tank, tail, etc. Im sure he can order independent pieces also, but I dunno dunno what I would personally do. My tank has shiny spots from my knees, scratches from my gloves, ugh. The black looks great new but they paint they used is very hard to maintain.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#15)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 4, 2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrr900 View Post
Agreed. The skins come with front fender, tank, tail, etc. Im sure he can order independent pieces also, but I dunno dunno what I would personally do. My tank has shiny spots from my knees, scratches from my gloves, ugh. The black looks great new but they paint they used is very hard to maintain.
well that's that hurts a bit less knowing you get the front and rear plastics at that cost.

-Ryan