DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
2 members and 517 guests
2blueyam, GETFURIOUS
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Man Down!!! Laid my bike down going 50MPH into a curb
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Unhappy Man Down!!! Laid my bike down going 50MPH into a curb - July 7, 2008, 05:00 PM

I laid my brand new GSX-R 600 down getting off of 295 onto rt. 50 and walked away from it. Basically I didn't realize I was going to get off on 50 until I was right on top of it, I tried to make the turn so I tried to slow down before the turn using both brake and thats when the rear tire locked up. So I let off the brakes and leaned the bike but it wasn't enough, i jumped the first part of the curb and I was still holding on then it hit the big part and I don't know what happened but I went flying over the handlebars. I hit head first into the concrete curb with my hands up and then flying I think like 10 feet in the air landed in the grass (thank god). My bike went rolling front end first into the grass and landed on the right side. When I landed it knocked all the wind out of me, i was trying to stand up but I could only kick my feet that *** was crazy. I was riding with like 4 other people and they couldn’t find me at first because I was like 50ft away from my bike in some high grass but when they got over to me the first think I mouthed out was “hows....my..........biiikkkeee” still trying to breath. Anyway a couple of minutes went by and I stood up, checked my body out but I really couldn’t feel anything because of the adrenaline. I was lucky because my gear SAVED MY *** LIFE!!! My only injuries was a compressed vertebrae, some rash on my knee, a jammed finger, and a bruised forearm. I had an olympia leather jacket, joe rocket gloves and a shoei helmet. Honestly I learned the difference between a $100 helmet and a $500 helmet, get a $100 helmet and you may just live through a motorcycle helmet but get a Shoei or an Arai you walk away from the accident talking about “man that was some crazy ***”. I put some pictures below.

My bike is in the shop right now so I’m waiting to see what the damage but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be to bad. There is a broken right handlebar, broken front/right/ and rear right fairing, slider was bent back but I think it did it’s job and prevented the frame from being bent, dented tank but I’m not going to replace that, and possible busted radiator because there was coolant all over the place, I hope its just a hose coming loose though here is some pictures of that.
Before
After.... sniff.....sniff...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

July 7, 2008, 05:13 PM

Glad you didnt hurt urself too badly .. Dont agree with ur helmet comment though... I have had Arai and then Hawk helmet .. both are crash tested .. as long as it is DOT approved ur going to survive..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
BIG SACK RYDAHZ PRESIDENT

Angry July 7, 2008, 05:15 PM

I GOT $3K ON THE BIKE

ACT FFFFFFFFFFFFFAST BEFORE I SPEND IT ON BOOZ AND HOEZ
Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 7, 2008, 05:15 PM

WOW!!! Glad to hear your ok. The bike can be fixed. I hope you were able to come out of this learning something and are able to apply it when you get your bike fixed.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

Cool July 7, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP
Glad you didnt hurt urself too badly .. Dont agree with ur helmet comment though... I have had Arai and then Hawk helmet .. both are crash tested .. as long as it is DOT approved ur going to survive..
I'm just saying there is meeting the standard and then there is exceeding the standard. Every car on the road has to meet dot standards to be able to drive on the highway in the US but there is A ratings for safety down to D. I would much rather get in an accident in a Audi A6 than a chevy cobalt and the same applies to safety gear on a motorcycle.
Unread
  (#6)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 7, 2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs
WOW!!! Glad to hear your ok. The bike can be fixed. I hope you were able to come out of this learning something and are able to apply it when you get your bike fixed.
+1 to what Nubbs said

Hope you heal quick!

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#7)
Triple Secks

July 7, 2008, 05:26 PM

Heal up quick - get your bike fixed, and get back to riding.

Glad to see that you are for the most part ok, and that the bike is repairable.

What's weird, is a co-worker did something similar with rt 270 3 weeks ago. Sounds almost identical except his description sounded like he target fixated on the curb and went smack into it.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#8)
Spike

July 7, 2008, 05:29 PM

Get that knee cleaned and put some neosporin w/ pain relief on it! We all go down, glad you aren't no worse! That pipe prolly saved your swingarm from damage! Insurance can take care of the rest!
Tell them a cat ran out in front of you!
Be careful, ashpalt is unforgiving!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#9)
Largely Unsupervised....

July 7, 2008, 05:31 PM

295 North and Route 50 East right? If I remember correctly..a REAL abrupt turn anyway, off camber, and always in crappy condition between the multiple mini-potholes and debris. Glad you made out relatively okay.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#10)
Got my Permit

July 7, 2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett
295 North and Route 50 East right? If I remember correctly..a REAL abrupt turn anyway, off camber, and always in crappy condition between the multiple mini-potholes and debris. Glad you made out relatively okay.
yep thats the exact spot
Unread
  (#11)
Contributes nothing

July 7, 2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2ao
I'm just saying there is meeting the standard and then there is exceeding the standard. Every car on the road has to meet dot standards to be able to drive on the highway in the US but there is A ratings for safety down to D. I would much rather get in an accident in a Audi A6 than a chevy cobalt and the same applies to safety gear on a motorcycle.
except that motorcyclist magazine ran a test several years ago which proved that wrong, relating to helmets at least anyway, many budget helmets performed better than the Arai tested

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#12)
2up is better then no ups

July 7, 2008, 05:46 PM

+1 to you being ok.

Once the rear tire locks... best to keep the rear locked and go low side then to let the rear kick back out and throw you into and endo.

---- Obviously there may be some times when this isnt the case, but this is 99% true for sure. Plus you might not end up putting it down anyhow.

Thanks for the photos of your equipment.. Looks like the olympia held up pretty well. How far did you skid (concrete/road) and on what side of your body?

Hope all goes well at the shop and that you heal up good and well.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

July 7, 2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2ao
So I let off the brakes and leaned the bike but it wasn't enough,
Good on you for wearing quality gear, and I am glad you made it through what seems to be a pretty bad crash. Looking at the wear pattern of your tires, it seems you could have leaned the bike over quite a bit more. Once you are back up and running, hook up with some of the many experienced riders here on the board and learn from them. There are many great people here who are more than willing to help!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
Unread
  (#14)
singin sweet home alabama

July 7, 2008, 05:49 PM

The only difference between crashing in an Arai and crashing in a budget helmet, for the most part, is one feels more justified having spent so much money on a helmet after it saves your skull and your neck wasn't as tired when you crashed (cheaper helmets typically heavier).

Glad you're ok!!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

July 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

Damn glad you walked away. at least it will help us all in knowing what to expect on that exit.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to remixed3