DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
2 members and 537 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 17, 2005, 08:28 PM

http://www.komotv.com/stories/40314.htm

November 17, 2005
By KOMO Staff

SEATTLE - Rescue crews had to come to the aid of a woman who was injured after crashing her motorcycle on a 520 overpass and then fell into Lake Washington.

The incident began around 11 a.m. Thursday when the woman apparently lost control and crashed her motorcycle into the side railing of the Lake Washington Blvd. overpass near the west end of Lake Washington.

The impact sent her off the ramp and into the lake.

"So we're thinking that's weird a crashed motorcycle half in the street and nobody around," said witness Charles Hatley. "We looked around first and didn't see anybody then we looked over the rail we saw a helmet floating way out in the water so we thought 'oh gosh, the person is in the water.' It was a pretty good distance, probably about 40 feet down to the water."

Somehow, the woman managed to swim the 30 or so yards to a nearby marsh, where she waited for rescuers to reach her.

"The only thing that she did was roll over and give us a slight wave," Hatley said.

Rescuers had to get to the island, then hack a path through dense brush to reach her.

"It was amazing the recovery and the rescue was awesome," said witness Sandy Swafield.

Medics managed to get the woman onto a backboard, then carried her back along a little walkway that connected back to the mainland where she was taken by ambulance to Harborview. Due to privacy laws, the extend of her injuries are not known, but witnesses said she was conscious when being loaded into the ambulance.

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident. But the State Patrol says there were no skid marks and that excessive speed was a possible factor.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

November 17, 2005, 09:12 PM

WHHHAAAA?!?!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#3)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
November 18, 2005, 06:03 AM

DDDDAAAAYYUUUUMMMM!

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#4)
Brainwash Your Face!

November 18, 2005, 07:03 AM

Wow...that sucks.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#5)
> 6'3" need not apply!

November 18, 2005, 07:06 AM

Sounds like she had a little angel on her shoulder. Side railing accidents don't usually end with the person able to swim away. After the stories I have been reading lately, this one had a MUCH better ending. Hope she recovers quick.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#6)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

November 18, 2005, 07:09 AM

Good to hear she was ok, but if she was wearing riding gear wouldnt that weigh her down a lil. I did not see if she was wearing gear.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 21, 2005, 06:29 PM

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rcycle19m.html

Survivor of dramatic motorcycle crash said it seemed familiar

By Erik Lacitis

Accident victim Reshel Reid, right, tells her story Friday at Harborview Medical Center. Reid said that as she plummeted into Lake Washington, she thought of her daughter Aleathia Reid, left.

A 40-year-old woman who flipped over and fell three stories into Lake Washington when her motorcycle hit a curb at an offramp on the Highway 520 bridge left Harborview Medical Center Friday with injuries no greater than cuts and bruises.

Reshel Reid of Redmond, a mother of five, said that two weeks ago she had had a vivid dream in which a bike hit an offramp, and somebody was falling off a freeway exit but survived by swimming to floating driftwood.

That's why, she said, she didn't panic as she swam to Marsh Island near the University of Washington.

"I've been through it. It was déjà vu," Reid said at a news conference Friday.

But her dream didn't include getting a ticket from the State Patrol for "speed too fast for conditions."

Reid said she was going 20 miles an hour on her Suzuki DRZ 400 SuperMoto bike as she was getting off at the Lake Washington Boulevard exit shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday.

She was on her way to do a story for a Web site devoted to female motorcycle riders.

Reid said that perhaps she hit a white painted stripe on the offramp. "It was damp outside," she said, and maybe that caused her bike to skid.

But Kelly Spangler, spokeswoman for the State Patrol, said she went to the scene about half an hour after the accident. "It was bone-dry," Spangler said.

Spangler said there were no witnesses.

Nonetheless, Reid counts herself lucky. When she went into the water, she was able to slip off her backpack that contained 15 to 20 pounds of coins she had planned to cash in.

Reid, whose bike is now in storage, said she hopes to be able to retrieve the backpack, a camera, tape recorder and cellphone that went to the bottom.

She first rode motorcycles at age 15, she said, but hadn't been on a bike for 25 years until this past July.

On the wominX.net Web site, Reid wrote about taking up motorcycles again:

"Such a time is this, just knowing, and having the anticipation of venturing out, exploring, journeying, touring countrysides, be on some wild trek, is exciting, and will play out its part in my life! I know now that it was no accident, that I was reintroduced to motorcycles. It is just the right turn into the rest of my life."

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#8)
You meet the nicest

November 21, 2005, 07:23 PM

I know that road! (lived in Seattle 5 years) She is one lucky lady . . . cool too.
Turning 40 and want to get bike after all those years? A DRZ 400 Supermoto is too right.

Trippy about the dream. I had one like that prior to the minibike crash where I got the scar on my chin.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

November 21, 2005, 08:56 PM

wow. carrying a backpack full of coins she was going to turn in? that's just about the most opposite thing that you want to get caught in a lake with.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
One and Only

November 21, 2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
wow. carrying a backpack full of coins she was going to turn in? that's just about the most opposite thing that you want to get caught in a lake with.

omg..

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#11)
Addicted to farm animals

November 22, 2005, 04:47 AM

Very lucky gal.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1