DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
4 members and 558 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Heist, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
My crash report
Unread
  (#1)
NW DC Rider

My crash report - May 28, 2008, 09:05 PM

This was last weekend was supposed to be my inaugural race weekend. I spent friday and saturday up at summit point, dropping several seconds and trying to get my new elka setup. Sunday and monday I was signed up for 6 races and i was excited as hell!

Since the track is prob an hour 20 or so from DC I was just heading home each night. I was home by six on sat and took the gf up to a parking lot to have her practice on her monster along with a couple friends. Then we all went to get mexican food then headed home. I had driven her car to the track and left her monster in my garage. I was going to stay at her place and she wanted the bike for tomorrow so we stopped by my place to get her car. It is maybe a 5 min ride to her place from mine depending on the lights (<1 miles). It was nearly 11 at this point.

For those familiar with DC I live just south of where Mass and Wisc intersect. I pulled out onto Wisconsin and started heading south in the inside lane (there are four, two each direction. There is also metered parking on each side. So I am putting along, have gone a few blocks and almost halfway there. I am coming up to a red light but then it turns green. I see on the right just ahead a car leaving a parking place. The front of her pokes out just slightly. I was alread in the left of the two southbound lanes but I slide all the way to the centerline in case she swings wide at all and also drag my brakes slightly.

Then the unthinkable happens: instead pulling out and going south, she suddenly whips an illegal uturn across the road when I am less than 25 feet away. I clamp down hard on the brake but it is no use. She has also come across so far that I have no way to even swerve. I smash into her fender almost to the drivers side door. I go flying over the car and feel myself tumbling. I land and try to to roll over but I can feel my right leg is badly broken. People start running up and I ask them to straighten it slightly since it is tucked up under me.

All the witnesses were very nice. They all confirm that the stupid bitch was doing an illegal uturn. They also tell the cops there was nothing I could do. And the lady driving? Stupid cunt doesn't care. She refuses to accept blame, doesn't come see if I am ok and is only worried about the damage to her fender... At least the police cited her as being fully at fault but still just amazing to me that someone could cause such severe injury and not care about anything except a few hundred dollars worth of damage to their 20 year old car I'd gladly cut her a check if it would fix my injuries....

I got an ambulance ride to GW hospital and get tons of xrays. I had full gear except jeans at least. My smx plus, exo700, a* jacket. I have minor rash on my hip and knees but the big damage is a fractured left hip and a demolished right femur. Got three screws in the hip to hopefuly keep my hip from dying and needing replacement, and then I got a titanium rod holding my right femur together.

I'm still in the hospital as I cannot walk with two broken legs Started physical therapy nearly immediately so hoping to be back up and active asap.

This track/race/riding season had been off too such a great start and so disappointing to have it cut short by such a bogus accident Oh well, hopefully I'll be back out there with everyone again soon.

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#2)
DAS BOOT

May 28, 2008, 09:19 PM

Holy crap- we were told of what happened on Sunday, when we came back to the track. Glad you are able to type this message, mister. Sorry this happened to you
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Races will always be around...get better soon!

BTW- it was nice meeting you, last Friday!

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Owner of the Site Owner

May 28, 2008, 09:19 PM

damn man, speedy recovery.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

May 28, 2008, 09:20 PM

Ryan,
I was shocked to hear about this, especially only a few hours after giving you a lift to the Metro. How quickly things can happen. I certainly hope you recover quickly and that the hip and femur mend properly and quickly. I'm not knocking the OEM stuff, but if the hip needs replacing, its really not that bad. My left one is titanium, thanks to falling off an airplane about 20 years ago, and I don't even notice or remember unless someone mentions it. If there is anything we can do to help, give us a shout. Get well soon, and we'll see you back at the track!!
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

May 28, 2008, 09:23 PM

Hey bud...sorry to hear what happened...it was not the way any of us wanted a weekend to start.

PM coming your way!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

May 28, 2008, 09:31 PM

Sux man .. hope you recover soon ..

DC has some of the worst drivers .. Yesterday I saw a Benz doing like 70 and swerving in a 20 mph zone and barely missing a turning car ... I got away with a similar crash with minor rashes last year just turning in front of me ..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Agitator

May 28, 2008, 09:35 PM

feel better bro!

if she needs a replacement monster...I got an S4R that needs a home

as for hip...if they need to, they can rebuild it...better...stronger

oh, and titanium is cool, its worth at least 2-3 seconds off your laptimes

we shall see you in the pits again with us soon, so heal up!

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#8)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 28, 2008, 09:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Y7GlSmi3Q

2:30 of the video about sums it up

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

May 28, 2008, 09:46 PM

We missed you in the pits on Sunday.

Hope you heal up soon! Let me know if you need anything.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#10)
Lurking

May 28, 2008, 09:54 PM

Damn man, sorry to hear, hope you heal up and make a full recovery.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#11)
Track Ho

May 28, 2008, 10:00 PM

heal up mister

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

May 28, 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
...And the lady driving? Stupid cunt doesn't care. She refuses to accept blame, doesn't come see if I am ok and is only worried about the damage to her fender... At least the police cited her as being fully at fault ...
Wow, major ! In that case, go after her and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. Got yourself a good lawyer? Take her down.

Sorry to hear this happened, Ryan. I hope you get the most compensation for your injuries and hardship as possible.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#13)
where the good spotz at ?

May 28, 2008, 10:42 PM

heal up .... ride another day

DBR 4 Life
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kidcycle Send a message via AIM to kidcycle  
Unread
  (#14)
Posting Nothing Relevant

May 28, 2008, 10:58 PM

DAMN! that is horrible man, heal up quick and get PAID!

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

May 28, 2008, 11:48 PM

Heal up well, mang! I am still working on my broken ankle, but it does get better in time!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!