DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 517
3 members and 514 guests
davidcycle, Heist, maverickfhs
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
My flipper in DC (mid last year)
Unread
  (#1)
Railin????

My flipper in DC (mid last year) - May 23, 2007, 05:01 PM

After leaving Georgetown and Adams Morgan with 2 fellow riders, we make our way down Rolling Rock Rd (IIRC) to catch 395 back to the house. It was at night, and I was still very in-experienced. I had developed this tendency early on to stand the bike up and brake if there was a hazard (as the MSF course teaches). Well, me being the most in-experienced rider, I always got put in the back, and always had to yell at the guys to put me in the middle so I could be critiqued and learn.

We hit the road and both guys take off. I felt the pressure to keep up because I still didn't know my way around DC and these weren't exactly the type of guys to apex a turn and check 6 to make sure I was still with them. I ended up hitting a downhill twisty with no brights on, froze up, and stood the bike up. How stupid is that? Everything I've been taught says "lean more", but I go and somehow instictively hammer down on the brakes. I go right over the beveled curb at about 60mph, get about 30 ft. of air, and come down. The bike flips and I get rocked with a mild concussion.

A DC cop had followed us and was already out of his car walking toward me when I came to. The conversation went like this:
Cop: You in the military?
Me: Yea, I'm a jackass.
Cop: Do you need any medical assistance?
Me: I could use a fuckin cigarette!
Cop: By all means, smoke it up!

He was the coolest cop evar. I didn't get written up for anything. One of my buddies came back shortly there after and helped me pick up what I wanted of the bike, and the cops took the rest of the trash plastics away. The whole front end was smashed in due to the face plant. A group of guys ride by (one with the fila bike that was at adams morgan earlier). The radiator is all kinds of bent sideways, front stay was donezo, but the bike started right back up.

With no signs of liquids leaking, I ride home. I had so much adrenaline still while on 395 I nearly topped the bike out. Everything is fixed now except some scratches here and there. Needless to say I don't ride with those guys anymore. I only ride with people that ride for others and not themselves.

Moral of the story:
I was always told that most riders will eventually get complacent with their riding, and get over confident. That was definitely my call. From that point on, I rarely ride at night, and NEVER push it through blind turns or when I outride my headlights. I've since learned quite a bit, but still need some work.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Apple  
Unread
  (#2)
subUrban Warrior

May 23, 2007, 05:42 PM

I've been riding a long time and blind turns still worry me. You never know what is just beyond your line-of-sight. I always take them slow. My days of trying to impress myself are over. I leave the steep lean-angles to turns I can see through.

Driving at night is more hazardous but should not be avoided for that reason.

Get your highbeams on sooner than you do in a car. If another car is approaching from the opposite direction while you are entering a section of road where you NEED the extra light -- leave it on high beam. No sense putting yourself in danger just to momentarily reduce a bit of light on the drivers eyes -- you're not going to blind them and cause them to wreck (at least I hope not).

Slow down and pay attention to the road surface - around here it changes due to contruction/repairs/weather.

Assume there is a dear waiting to ambush you.
(groundhogs play dead so steer clear of them - ask Tanya)

Don't make quick lane changes -- the car drivers don't see you in daylight and see you even less at night. Also, if it's late at night assume the car driver has had a bit to drink.

Your crash would have happened day or night. We've ALL gotten into a turn too fast and done something stupid. Anyone who tells you they have not -- is not being honest.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Fair Weather Fan

May 23, 2007, 05:50 PM

Kinda scary, becareful out there man. As for riding at night, I usually take it a lot slower and keep it chill since you're just out pimpin' it; no need for flying especially in DC.

Senatus PopolusQue Romanus
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbait Send a message via AIM to Sharkbait  
Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge

May 23, 2007, 06:42 PM

Line of sight is what sets the limit of how fast I ride on street. My speed stops increasing when I no longer have the time or space to react to something unforeseen. This will vary depending on the rider's skill level. For me it also varies with the bike I am riding.

The better your braking skills, the more room you have to react. Yet nobody ever wants to do braking drills when someone tries to get something together. <sigh>

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

May 23, 2007, 08:01 PM

Travis - what kind of braking drills? If someone were want to do it, what would you set up and where would you do it?

-just curious-

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
Railin????

May 24, 2007, 07:58 AM

I've pretty much been a defensive rider ever since, and always go into a blind turn slow, and upon apexing, roll it back. A few of the people I ride with say I'm not all that great because I don't ball through turns, but those are the same guys that have nearly totalled their bikes due to gravel and rocks they couldn't see around the turn (thanks backwood residents).

I've been a safe rider ever since, and haven't had a very close call since. A car jumped out in front of me on Rt. 1 a few months ago, so I applied both brakes (I was over the speed limit), rolled the throttle back a tad, and darted over to the right lane. I would have been flying if I would have pulled another freeze move.

On Ft. Belvoir, we have an MSF course painted in a parking lot and I do all kinds of drills out there. I've pretty much got the braking down, it's the VERY slow riding that kills me.

I'd still like to be adopted tho because I'm sure I'm still a noob that needs technique work, so if anyone is up for it lemme know.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

May 24, 2007, 08:57 AM

Braking drills sound like a good idea. Maybe some senior riders would be willing to do some sort of informal clinic on braking and low-speed maneuvers this summer. I'll start a new thread on this to see what feedback is like.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

May 24, 2007, 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear ya wrecked, but lessoned learned.

I will ride with anyone, remember ride your ride. Your statement you will not ride with people like that makes me think you did not learn that. Most important lesson is YOU ride your own Ride, you went down going above your means. Trust me I ride with Yahoos all the time that will bite it eventually, does not mean I will, they wanna go balls out into a blind turn, feel free, I'll help em pick up the pieces.

Be safe

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

May 24, 2007, 10:37 AM

Sorry you rwrecked, glad you learned a lesson.

Where you at on Ft B? Im with PEO off Hall Rd.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Spike

May 24, 2007, 10:42 AM

That stinks and shame on the guys that left you!!! I'm glad you aren't hurt bad and props to that cop, not many are that way. You can ride with me til your skill level comes up, i'm really slow and won't do any 'take off's' either.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#11)
I'm not mad

May 24, 2007, 11:24 AM

Not a big fan of the night ride.
The only thing worse than a night ride is a ride in the rain.
The only thing worse than a ride in the rain is a ride in the rain at night.

Hot tea in the parlor makes the ladies holla
Unread
  (#12)
Spike

May 24, 2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter
Not a big fan of the night ride.
The only thing worse than a night ride is a ride in the rain.
The only thing worse than a ride in the rain is a ride in the rain at night.
+1 x infinity!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#13)
Railin????

May 25, 2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
Sorry you rwrecked, glad you learned a lesson.

Where you at on Ft B? Im with PEO off Hall Rd.
I'm not on main post, I'm over at the woodlawn housing district off of sacramento drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowngt
I will ride with anyone, remember ride your ride. Your statement you will not ride with people like that makes me think you did not learn that. Most important lesson is YOU ride your own Ride, you went down going above your means. Trust me I ride with Yahoos all the time that will bite it eventually, does not mean I will, they wanna go balls out into a blind turn, feel free, I'll help em pick up the pieces.

Be safe
I do ride my ride, and don't exaggerate my abilities anymore. I just won't ride with people that are out for themselves like these 2 were. They are known for leaving the group behind, darting all over traffic, and generally being stupid on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz
You can ride with me til your skill level comes up, i'm really slow and won't do any 'take off's' either.
Deal! I'll add you to my AIM and PM you when I see you online.

On another note, thanks for all the advice everyone! I've learned quite a bit from that accident and have used a lot of those learned lessons to my advantage since. I just figured maybe someone can learn from my mistakes.