DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 472
3 members and 469 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
My life changing story w/photos
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

My life changing story w/photos - June 27, 2013, 12:09 AM

My story can now be seen at
Truth behind a Motorcycle Accident | Life changes in the blink of an eye !
Thank you for all the support!!

Last edited by GunSurgeon; August 18, 2013 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Add photo link
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 27, 2013, 12:45 AM

When the OP feels that his written story is finished, could someone please post it to otb's blog site so that it can be easily linked to from FB and the like.

Must read for all riders. And that quote at the end summarizes motorcycle riding to a T.

Thank you for sharing. Stay strong. God bless your girl, your kids, and you.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#3)
easyrider

June 27, 2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSurgeon View Post
I started writing a story of my whole ordeal this is a rough draft. It is far from complete but is readable. When it is done there will be pictures from the accident until now. I am not a writer and I am sure it will show. I just want to get an idea of what people think if there are any ideas to help I would love to hear them. If my story helps someone else then it helps me feel like it was all for nothing. Anyway enjoy !

I am writing this story to hopefully give everyone better awareness about motorcycle accidents how they effect your life and how important it is to wear your gear all the time even on short trips. Also to provide people some info about brachial plexus injuries ( I never heard of brachial plexus until my accident). I have been riding street bikes for 18 years I got my license at 16years old. I have owned all sorts of bikes I started on a Suzuki TW200 Enduro. Then I moved up to a Suzuki TL1000R and from there I have owned and rode dozens of bikes. From an 08 Busa to a 98 Harley Fatboy and everything in between. I did track days on my 2008 CBR1000RR for 3 years and have logged well over a hundred thousand miles on the street. Needless to say I am an experienced rider and have avoided quite a few accidents over the years. The fact I didn't minimize or avoid this accident haunts me to this day. This was written as I started to recover and has been updated a couple times. It is also far from finished I add a little to it every couple of days. So here is the story so far...

My name is Raymond Bailey I am the father of 2 daughters 7 and 11 years old. I have a wonderful Girlfriend named Marcella. We have been together 13 years and she is the mother of both my daughters. I worked as a Property Manager for Oculus Realty and ran a Motorcycle Repair shop on the side out of my garage. So some of you might know me or have received a business card from me. Some of you I might of rode with at bike nights. On the morning of August 19, 2012 I had to run to an apartment complex I manage in NE Washington DC to do a quick emergency lock out call. My work truck was in the shop getting decals installed so I decided to take my motorcycle to work. I always wear my gear when I go riding ! My gear consist of an Arai Corsair helmet, Alpinestar GP-M leather race jacket with , Alpinestar GP-Tech leather gloves, Alpinestar S-MX Plus boots. Anyone that knows me will tell you I preach how important it is to wear gear every time you ride. Since this was gonna be a quick short ride about 8 miles from Greenbelt to NE DC on New Hampshire Ave to the apartment complex that was about a 1/2 mile into the city. I decided to go with just my Alpinestar boots, my light weight gloves, T-shirt, jeans and HJC helmet something I would never normally do and I will pay for it later.

So I grabbed my keys and went out to my garage. As I was opening the door I thought to myself "damn those are some dark clouds coming I really should wait for my girlfriend to get home take my car". My girlfriend had took the kids to the farmers market, so I ignored my instinct (something you should never do) and my urge to ride won. I jumped on my bike (2012 ZX14R) and headed to work. The ride there was nice and uneventful. I got there handled my business and got on my bike to leave. As I started to head down New Hampshire Ave it started to rain. I turned my TRC to C mode and the last thing I remember is passing the McDonald's at the Maryland DC line.

This recount comes from what I was told happened and the information I received from the police report. As I approached Tacoma shopping center an 84 year old man in a 1998 Dodge Caravan on the way to get coffee with his wife made a left turn with out yielding directly in front of my motorcycle. The police said that I was not speeding, I never hit the brakes and there were no skid marks visible. I hit his passenger front fender right on the wheel well at 35-45mph. When I hit the van as my body flew forward my neck hit my carbon fiber windscreen slicing it open, my legs hit the handle bars breaking both legs. I flew off the bike my body hit the side of the mini van forcing my neck one way and my shoulder the other way shattering the face shield on my helmet. I suffered a contusion to the right side of my neck severing an artery to my brain. I broke 11 bones in my face (both eye sockets, both sinus cavities, jaw in 3 places, nose in 2 places and a couple others), 4 ribs ( top 2 on each side), broken left knee cap, broken right femur, and a traumatic Brachial Plexus injury to my right arm. No road rash at all figures... I was rushed by ambulance to Washington Hospital Center.

I got to the ER I was not breathing on my own so they did a tracheotomy and put me on a ventilator. They took me right to surgery and installed a platinum coil in the artery to my brain to reattach it and glued the contusion shut. My right femur was broke so they installed a titanium rod and 2 screws in it and stapled the surgical cuts. My left knee cap had a chunk of bone removed from it it was stitched shut. On August 23rd I had facial reconstruction surgery they installed 5 metal plates and 12 screws in my face and wired my mouth shut. I had a traumatic brachial plexus injury ( basically I ripped nerves out of my spine) I have no feeling in my right arm at all from the shoulder down. I have no feeling in my right collar bone and limited feeling from my right ear to my right shoulder. I can shrug my shoulder, but there is no movement in anything below the shoulder. I spent 2 weeks in the ICU there I had chest tubes in both lungs and a feeding tube. I couldn't talk and had to point at letters on a sheet of paper to communicate. After that I spent 3 weeks on their trauma unit under heavy pain medication. On the fourth week the cut the wire that held my mouth shut, but left in the wire holding my teeth together kinda like braces. They put a cap on my tracheotomy so I could finally talk and start a liquid diet.

After that I spent 3 weeks at the National Rehabilitation Hospital (that place is horrible but thats another story) learning to do stuff like walking, bathing and learning to live with one arm. I was discharged on Sept 29th 2012. I spent the next few weeks in debilitating pain while they got my medications right. I ended up on 60mg of OxyContin 3 times a day 1200mg of Neurontin 3 times a day .5 mg Xanax once a day and a few other stool softeners and stuff. On Nov 30th 2012 I was accepted into John Hopkins with Dr Alan Beltzberg one of the best neuro surgeons in the world. Along with Dr Beltzberg I was given a PMR doctor and a pain management team which added 150mg of Nortriptilyn . I had multiple mri's that showed root nerve avulsion from the C4-T1 vertebrae. That means my arm is paralyzed from the shoulder down and has no sensation. My right phrenic nerve is paralyzed causing right diaphragm not to function (right lung doesn't function) and my right pectoral muscle is paralyzed. I had medial pectoral nerve transfer surgery for elbow flexation on Feb 28th 2013 at John Hopkins. Surgery went as good as can be expected. I was on the operating table for 13 hours. They transferred 3 nerves from my chest to my arm for elbow movement. They took the nerve I use to shrug my shoulder split it in 2 and ran the other half to another shoulder muscle. Hopefully I will now be able to keep my arm in socket. Doctor Beltzberg said he did everything there was to do and that my brachial plexus injury is as bad as it comes. He said it will be 8-10 months before I will notice if the surgery worked and even then it is a 50-50 chance of success. He also said that with the injuries I had sustained I was a walking miracle.

I was in the hospital for 3 days in all and it was a great experience at John Hopkins. Dr Allan Belzberg was amazing and I can't speak highly enough for him. I got accepted into Kennedy Krieger (one of the best rehabilitation centers in the country) for PT and OT on May 2nd 2013 I started my 1st session. So here we are now at the beginning of June 2013. Most of my injuries have recovered and the broken bones have healed. My legs are still weak but they are recovering good and I can almost walk normal. They just don't bend as far as before and I need to build some more muscle back. My face has recovered and I look the same as before. I have 2 smalls scars on my eye brows from the facial surgery. I am having some dental issues from my jaw being broken in so many places but its getting fixed slowly. The right arm still has no movement or sensation. The neuropathic pain in my right hand is still extremely painful. It's a constant burning sensation and is considered one of the most intense types of pain you can have. I take 20mg OxyContin 3 x day, 2400mg Gabapentin and 125mg of Nortriptyline and if things get bad I got 10mg Oxycodone for break through pain. Which is way lower than what I started out at 240mg of OxyContin a day. The doctors were actually surprised how low I have gotten my pain meds. I have been dealing with horrible depression and I have a case of PTSD that I am going to go see a psychiatrist for.

Everything is being covered by Workers Compensation who hasn't started fighting me about anything yet. It has taken it's toll on my family my girlfriend has been amazing she slept with me at the hospital every night for 6 weeks and I would never have gotten this far with out her. She was in college for nursing and she was almost done the nursing program, but she missed 2 tests at the beginning of the semester while I was in the hospital. She explained what was going on, but they didn't care and kicked her out of the program. Now when she goes back she has to start over which really sucks. My kids took this the best they could, but once I got home the rebounded really fast. They never missed a beat in school. My 11 year old just graduated elementary school and received the Presidential Academic Award signed by Barrack Obama. Financially we got screwed we blew through are savings. Workers Compensation sends me a check each week, but I am getting $1800 less each month than what I was making at work. I had to voluntarily repo our new Honda Odyssey. We were also hoping to buy a house which is impossible now. We have moved into a 1 bedroom apartment which sucks. If things don't get better we will probably be filing bankruptcy. Another problem I am having is getting health insurance no insurance company is willing to cover me due to pre existing conditions.

I hope this helps people understand that at the blink of an eye you whole life can change. I encourage every rider out there to read about brachial plexus injuries. It is a very common injury in motorcycle accidents. Please always wear your protective gear ALWAYS ! I just want everyone to be careful out there and understand no matter how good you can ride your life can change in a split second ! If reading my story can even can help one person then my injury has purpose. Please be careful out there !!

"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity "
Unread
  (#4)
easyrider

June 27, 2013, 01:15 AM

Couldn't read it in one big paragraph. Thanks for sharing. The longer I ride the more stuff like this crosses my mind. You try to be attentive and scan ahead, but some things are unavoidable.

When I was 16 I was in a car accident, same scenario but in a car. Driving along doing about 45-50, on coming car makes sudden left hand turn with no signal or warning. I didn't have time to react or hit the brakes. Totalled my car, her car, and when my car hit hers she spun and hit two other cars on a perpendicular road. One happened to be an off duty police officer who I proceeded to cuss out as I was dazed from the air bags and thought he was the one who turned in front of me. He quickly straightened that out haha.

Luckily no one was seriously hurt and she was found as the cause of the accident. Those unavoidable accidents scare me the most. My wife is terrified of it but knows what motorcycles mean to me. This is one of the reasons I have started riding the track more. If something happens there is run off, no oncoming vehicles and medical personnel right there (and it's just fun as hell).

Anyway, always gear up and always wear the best you can because you never know whats down the road. I'm sorry for your situation and understand somewhat the hardships of medical situations and how hard it can be on a family. I've been going through something non-moto related for 7 years now. A strong woman makes a big difference, I know my wife has. I know I try not to take things for granted anymore and try to take advantage of every good day I have. Nothing in this life is guaranteed. Stay strong and don't let the really bad days dictate life. Thanks for sharing again.
Unread
  (#5)
Flying tiger

June 27, 2013, 01:16 AM

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Very old people driving... Their driving abilities should be evaluated every year.

Gear... Without my gear (full face helmet, leather jacket etc) I would have died on 08/10/12.

Stay strong man, you are alive!

09 Yamaha Fazer 600 "Black Mamba" *** Totaled ***
07 Yamaha TT-R 230 ***Sold***
03 Honda CRF 150 F ***Sold***
06 Yamaha R6 (50th Anniversary Edition) ***Stolen***
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Range Rover Owner

June 27, 2013, 06:36 AM

sorry for what you had to go through. how are you not getting huge settlement check to cover your expences?

in short:
  1. always wear proper gear
  2. watch for moving traffic
  3. ppl over 70 should have driving exams yearly
  4. get AFLAC
  5. marry the gf of 13 years who will stand by you through thick and thin. set good example for the kids.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 27, 2013, 06:43 AM

As traumatic as your injuries were and still are, I am not sure what gear would have prevented that? Good knee protection might have mitigated the patella injury. No gear designed today will prevent internal avulsion of nerves.

The crash you describe is the overwhelming majority of crashes involving a car and a motorcycle. While I am in no way saying don't wear gear, it seems the moral of the story is more about being seen, having adequate insurance coverage for catastrophes, re-testing senior citizen drivers, etc.

Glad your WC is not making you fight for coverage. I have fought that battle before. How is the van drivers insurance treating you?

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

June 27, 2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw84u View Post
sorry for what you had to go through. how are you not getting huge settlement check to cover your expences?

in short:
[*]always wear proper gear[*]watch for moving traffic[*]ppl over 70 should have driving exams yearly[*]get AFLAC[*]marry the gf of 13 years who will stand by you through thick and thin. set good example for the kids.
On that note, good point. If you marry your basically married girlfriend. Wouldn't you be able to be part of her family group insurance?

Forum Runner FTW!!!
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

June 27, 2013, 06:50 AM

What happened to the person driving the van who in a moment of vacuous thought, almost killed you?
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

June 27, 2013, 07:29 AM

I'm at a loss for words. You hear about the left turners @ intersections all the time. I'm sorry it happened.

-Nate
'15 R1200GS
'13 HP4
'08 YZF-R6
Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

June 27, 2013, 07:56 AM

Step 1. Lawyer
Step 2. Sue the old man's insurance company and the old man
Step 3. Marry the girl
Step 4. Buy the house and raise the kids

Thanks for posting the story. You really need to get a huge settlement out of this, friend.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#12)
turn or crash....

June 27, 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Step 1. Lawyer
Step 2. Sue the old man's insurance company and the old man
Step 3. Marry the girl
Step 4. Buy the house and raise the kids

Thanks for posting the story. You really need to get a huge settlement out of this, friend.
Pretty much my thoughts. I hope that Steps 1-3 are in process already and before the years end you can reach step 4.

It really sucks, especially when your just putting along not breaking any laws. I can't imagine how you feel emotionally about this, but wishing you the best in recovery and getting you and your families lives back on the track you were on before the incident.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#13)
Stand Collector

June 27, 2013, 09:05 AM

Jesus...wish you the best in recovery and for sharing your story.

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

June 27, 2013, 09:08 AM

What others have said. You need to sue. The old man's insurance company needs to pay a lot of money for this. The old man needs to pay the expenses if they exceed his coverage limits

Suing has become a vanity in this country, but for your case, it's the reason why it exists in the first place

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
On vacation

June 27, 2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
When the OP feels that his written story is finished, could someone please post it to otb's blog site so that it can be easily linked to from FB and the like.

Must read for all riders. And that quote at the end summarizes motorcycle riding to a T.

Thank you for sharing. Stay strong. God bless your girl, your kids, and you.

Forum Runner FTW!!!
My thoughts exactly. Thanks for sharing and wishing you the best with the recovery and accompanying situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.