DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 538
1 members and 537 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Not my day but coulda been worse
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Unhappy Not my day but coulda been worse - October 28, 2007, 05:53 PM

Summary: Hit a deer in the cage this morning. Major front end damage; undrivable. I'm ok. Rear-ended a car on the ninja. Serious front end damage; rideable enough to get it home. I'm ok.

Hit my first deer ever today. I was heading down Great Seneca Highway this morning, and a deer shot across from the right, a few cars in front of me. It narrowly missed all the cars in all the lanes and headed up into a residential area. I watched as it froggered across. Turned my gaze back to the road ahead and WHAM!!! I smash a full-grown buck and send him flying across the median and into oncoming traffic. My hood is wrecked, but the air bags did not deploy. Not much damage to the bumper, just hood and engine compartment. Had to have the car towed because the radiator was smashed. Lesson learned: Keep your eyes and mind on the road. Don't watch where the deer that is crossing the road is going. The important place to look is where it came from... so you are ready for the next one. There's almost always at least one more.

Hit my first car ever today. Was heading south on route 28 with Interceptor behind me. We were heading home after a great ride around the Frederick loop with some netters, and things were going well. We were taking it easy, just heading home. Well, I noticed a long line of cars going slow, an older white car in the back. I tapped my brakes a couple times to let Tom know we were going to be slowing down. I slowed by engine brake and a little bit of front brake as well. Still approaching the cars at this point. A funky looking BMW cycle passed going the other way, and I waved. He led a long line of cycles, and I looked for a moment to see what bikes were in the group. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can't say that enough. I turned my gaze back to the road ahead, and HOLY SHIT, STOPPED WHITE CAR. I braked hard, knowing I would not stop in time. I headed for the center line, hoping to slip past the white car in my effort to stop but avoid heading full-on into oncoming traffic. Things looked ok for just long enough for me to think I had it, when my rear tire slid right, then left, then WHAM!!! Bike hit the left rear of the car on the left front, and I hit the back of the car somehow. All I know for sure is that I hit my head somewhere on the car pretty hard, and I thought, "Fack, not the helmet too."

I have a pretty good bump on my right elbow, and I have a headache. Otherwise, I'm ok. I was in full leather, and the right elbow armor definitely did its job. So did the helmet. The bike was rideable, and Tom helped by bending brackets and smashed intrument clusters around enough so I could steer. I limped it home, got a lot of looks. A good dose of humiliation does the job. The right clipon is bent back, and the right side is rashed. The front left is smashed up pretty good. Damage to the car was minimal, although I forgot to take a close look. Tom took a look though so I have my witness if needed.

LESSON REINFORCED: Keep your eyes and mind on the road. I should have kept watching those slow cars and thought about why they were going so slow. Man, I'm glad I had my gear on and a fellow rider with me. Thanks so much, Tom. You're a true friend.

Anyway, I'll post up some photos in the next day or so of my smashed car and my instant winter project bike.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
singin sweet home alabama

October 28, 2007, 06:13 PM

Wow man, that sucks. Your number was just up today it seems.

Really glad you didn't get hurt.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#3)
Resident Rodent

October 28, 2007, 06:26 PM

Bummer.

Expensive day.

I ain't sayin nuthin tho. Had one like that myself once.

It happens.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#4)
Do you need an eDUCATIon?

October 28, 2007, 06:34 PM

I guess you learned O'Toole's law today: Murphy was an optimist. So sorry to hear.

http://www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
1999 Ducati Monster 900s
2003 Suzuki SV650

Nubbs: You can play with my underwear, but don't f*** with my beer.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

October 28, 2007, 07:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Glad you're okay with minimal injuries.

At least you were able to baby your bike back home. After my, um, incident, I had to do the ride of shame on the back of my buddy's bike...2 hours away from home.

Hope the repairs aren't too painful in both cases.
Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 28, 2007, 07:25 PM

1. Glad to hear that you are ok. The rest is just stuff.

2. Hell if yer ever driving my stuff!!!

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#7)
I wanna Ride !

October 28, 2007, 07:33 PM

Glad to hear you are OK
Sorry for the bad luck today
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

October 28, 2007, 07:41 PM

I needed to work in the lab for a little while this evening and would have had to chance the crash trifecta had it not been for a friend who drove me in. Gotta keep my bandit safe from the roads (and me) today--it's the only motorized wheels I have right now!

Thanks everyone!
Unread
  (#9)
It is what it is!

October 28, 2007, 08:39 PM

Hey man!

Glad your OK first off!

The rest of it, what can you do?

Shit happens...NO ONE is perfect!

Everything else can be repaired or replaced....PERIOD!

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

October 28, 2007, 08:53 PM

Hey John
Sorry to hear about your luck man. Stay safe..glad your not hurt...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to java927  
Unread
  (#11)
Where to????

October 28, 2007, 08:58 PM

Glad Your ok!

Deer Suck!! There's not much you can do about them. Even if your aware, that can come out of the woods fast!

Chris
08 FJR1300

aka. Sherpa

MARRC Cornerworker
Unread
  (#12)
Owner & Creator

October 28, 2007, 09:19 PM

did you at least kill the deer so you can sue him and take him to court?<---mind twister
Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 28, 2007, 09:22 PM

Dam glad your ok. I can help with the zx7 rebuild this winter!!!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

October 28, 2007, 09:24 PM

Damn John, glad you came out relatively ok. Sucks to hear about your bad luck. I hope you can get things worked out quickly.
Unread
  (#15)
Contributor

October 28, 2007, 11:31 PM

yeah .. i can tell you doing a low wave at riders on the other side of the road can be a stupid risk just to say "hey". Lady walked across middle of Lee Highway and rocked backward as she hit the median causing the truck in front of me to stop dead at 40mph.. I swerved and got around but it was a blind risk of swerving to the right lane..

Sorry your bike is jacked but at least your alive to talk about it.. learn from it and hopefully the rest of will as well.

good luck on the rebuild.

Lucky

Last edited by Lucky; October 28, 2007 at 11:34 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky