DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 597
1 members and 596 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
In One Year of riding
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

In One Year of riding - June 15, 2011, 04:28 PM

I ride a 07' 650r and had two incidents in my one year of riding....
I went down once after a car completely stopped in traffic and I applied to much rear brake, panic mode kicked in as I almost ran in to the back of the car and I laid my bike down. No damage really except one broken mirror, slighlt bent handle bars, and bent gear shifter, rash on top of previous owners rash.
2nd incident was just this past weekend (Sunday 8am) as I approached a red light on a two lane road, the only car at the light decides to swtch to my lane as i am less than 10feet away. I quickly apply brakes and swerve to avoid running into this guys rear. I clear his bumper but my new installed spiked bar ends run along side of this guys car from the rear to the side view mirror. I didnt drop it and hop of my bike to see if any damage happened. I then ride up on dude and ask why did he swtch lanes like that and did he even look. His response was "I decided I aint want to go over the bridge and I aint even see you" Well there was no damn bridge for miles around so I guess karma worked out when he pulled off and I noticed his new racing stripe going down the side.
I have learned from both experiences. Peace.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

June 15, 2011, 04:44 PM

Constantly watch others. Act like they don't see you period and always be prepared.
Unread
  (#3)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 15, 2011, 04:52 PM

Work on ur situational awareness....escape routes.....emergency braking/steering around an object..

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

June 15, 2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Constantly watch others. Act like they don't see you period and always be prepared.
THIS
Quote:
Work on ur situational awareness....escape routes.....emergency braking/steering around an object
AND THAT...already on it fellas ,thanks for tips and reminding. Much Appreciated...
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 15, 2011, 05:20 PM

Have you taken MSF? If not, I would suggest it. Always expect people to do stupid shit and you will rarely be disappointed. You have to ride like you are invisible.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 15, 2011, 05:47 PM

When riding alone I purposefully choose which side of my lane I am going to ride on depending on my chosen exit strategy and visibility to others. If the main focus is the buy behind and in front of me and traffic is smooth flowing then I stick to the middle. If my exit strategy if someone slams on their brakes is to split lanes then I am close to the next lane. If I feel people are not paying attention and the shoulder seems like the safest escape route (not too much debris) then I ride on the outside of the lane. There have been many times in traffic where my lane has basically slammed on their brakes and I slowed down fast, split lanes, and smoothly merge onto the lane next to me after the car next to me passes and the one behind had the opportunity to be aware of the situation and open up some space. If they don't open up space then I speed up and get out of the situation.
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

June 15, 2011, 08:24 PM

Don't trust nobody...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

June 16, 2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Have you taken MSF?
Before I even bought my bike I did. I had no prior riding experience before the course last year.

^nootherids - I have adapted those techniques in how I ride. Im always evolving and learning. good look and the advice though to reinforce.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 16, 2011, 11:13 AM

My suggestion is lose the spikes. They punch through rib cages really well. Problem is it's often the riders rib cage.
Unread
  (#10)
I use my turn signal

June 20, 2011, 11:35 PM

I had a friend wreck and had his bar end slider (not spiked, just regular delrin rounded) punctured into the area right around above his pubes, If it were one of those dumb spiked bar ends he would have been fakkked. The rounded slider actually broke skin.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#11)
Metal Finishing Guru

June 21, 2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Have you taken MSF? If not, I would suggest it.
i had a lot of dirt experience and signed up for one with a buddy before i started street, not thinking i would take away much, but it was well worth it. took away some great stuff i hadn't considered. i want to sign up for the advanced one. i should do that soon.

Len, Master Coater at Figure Finishing
DC's Premier Custom Powder & Ceramic Coaters
www.FigureFinishing.com
9208 Venture Ct, Unit C-9
Manassas Park VA 20111
866-500-8484

Mention you're a DCSB member AFTER I look over your parts and quote you, and receive a 10% discount.