DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
3 members and 553 guests
davidcycle, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 23, 2004, 03:13 PM

This thread is about my experience on Joplin Rd out behind the Marine base in Lorton VA. I was three weeks into ever owning and riding and I thought I knew it all.

It started out as ride to 55 West to 211 up the Mountain but instead the point man made a left to Joplin. Joplin is a road chop full of quick turns and changes in elevation, real fun if you keep your balls in your pants. Well I got a case of big balls and when the more experienced riders took off, so did I. I was doing fine until we came up on a 15 MPH blind turn at 75 MPH. I was all busy tunneling on the rider in front of me that I totally did not see the turn coming. I kept my cool and slowed down with my rear brake, missed the apex and ended up on the grass shoulder. It had rained earlier in the week and I had hit a sink hole. The front end dropped and I flipped over the bike. Real fun. Ego in tow, the group stopped to help me with the bike. We ended up going to Rt 1 to clean it up before the ride home. I was real gentle on the throttle on the trip home, didn't even break 5 grand.

Lessons for new riders:

-Always pay attention to the road in front of you and down the road.
-Never get locked on an object, ie tunnel-vision. Always scan.
-Don't bring your balls out, unless you are willing to pay with them.

Things that could have gone wrong:

-I could have panicked and squeezed my front brake to death, and caused me to endo or highside.
-The grass shoulder could have been dry and I would have continued into the forest.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 23, 2004, 03:29 PM

Yeah that left/right hander has gotten a few people. Definately be on the watchout for Deer. That area is heavily wooded this time of year and I had a small deer dart out in front of me last weekend. I had plenty of time to react and was just chilling on my way through there so I made it through fine. Also remember since it is covered by alot of over hanging trees, when it has been raining like this but is sunny and clear the next day, that road is still very damp and there are many puddles. Also I noticed they are doing construction on the right side right before the Cemetary so there is alot of sand/dirt and gravel in that area. That road is a lot of fun though when taken at speed. It can be quite boring when you get behind traffic though. Glad you made it out ok.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

June 23, 2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet
Things that could have gone wrong:

-I could have panicked and squeezed my front brake to death, and caused me to endo or highside.
WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!
You could have used your front brake, slowed down MUCH faster, and made the corner.
Kudo's to you about the rest of the story.
You are right-on about riding your own ride.
It takes balls to post up about how you made a mistake...thanks.
I'd just advice some braking practice with the front brake.
HARD braking practice...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

June 23, 2004, 11:07 PM

Kudo's to ya babe..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#5)
Knee Draggin!

June 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

Not to be an ass since you went down but there's a major misconception in here. Plus Steve already did it.

Quote:
I kept my cool and slowed down with my rear brake
Bikes have two big rotors in the front and one tiny one in the rear for a reason. You will stop a helluva lot quicker using the front brakes than the rear. Being afraid of going over the bars or endo-ing is a common new rider fear but it's not going to happen. (Well, it's not if you do it right) What might happen is you bruising your balls from sliding into the tank if you're not ready or out of position. I am quite familiar with this sensation. Treat it like a car that doesn't have ABS. You don't slam on the pedal because you'll lock the front and skid. You start slow and increase pressure while keeping it above the threshold where it will skid. (Slow being relative to slamming on the brakes) Same with a bike in a panic stop. Apply the brakes till the weight transfers to the front and then hit em hard. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can haul a bike down using only the front brakes.

Also, either learn to not use the rear brake or use it very, very lightly. When braking there will be very little weight on the rear and it will be easy to lock up with too much pressure. And locking up the rear will give a greater chance of highsiding while braking than using the front will. (If you release the rear after it locks) So if you do lock it up, keep it locked until the bike stops. The only time I use my rear brake is to lock up my rear on purpose. It reminds me of being a kid and skidding my bicycle. That and goosing the throttle on a gravel road to break the rear loose makes me think I need a dirt bike...

Props to posting though, and admitting the mistakes. But with only 3 weeks of experience please learn more about riding before trying to keep up with anybody. There are a lot more nuances to riding other than twisting the wrist.

-Mod
Unread
  (#6)
www.got-one.com

June 24, 2004, 05:38 AM

definently use the front brakes

How fast doest everyone take this corner? I can't imaging doing it at 75. is that possible?

That corner always seams different every time I pass it. Taking it as a right feels easier about 45mph is all I dare. but as a left you have to watch out for the rough pavement on the side at the exit and I only do about 35.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gotone  
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

June 24, 2004, 12:48 PM

I've been working on hard braking and so far I've locked the rear a few times and even had the bike go a little sideways...not a big deal because I held the brake in until the bike was straight and left off.
But, when you are applying the front brakes hard, is it just feel for how much is too much? I guess my question is, is there any type of characteristics when applying the front brake too hard?
My best guess at this point is practice...more practice and getting a feel.
I am amazed though at how quickly you can stop on a bike, my goal is to be able to slow down enough to react by avoiding rather than trying to completely stop in some cases.
Glad to hear you are ok...be safe!
Unread
  (#8)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 24, 2004, 01:20 PM

kinda off topic, but AgBullet, like Ag as in elemental abbreviation for silver? that's cool! took me a while.

So, Steve, when was that braking practice make-up date?

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

June 24, 2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian
Not to be an ass since you went down but there's a major misconception in here. Plus Steve already did it.

Quote:
I kept my cool and slowed down with my rear brake
Bikes have two big rotors in the front and one tiny one in the rear for a reason. You will stop a helluva lot quicker using the front brakes than the rear. Being afraid of going over the bars or endo-ing is a common new rider fear but it's not going to happen. (Well, it's not if you do it right) What might happen is you bruising your balls from sliding into the tank if you're not ready or out of position. I am quite familiar with this sensation. Treat it like a car that doesn't have ABS. You don't slam on the pedal because you'll lock the front and skid. You start slow and increase pressure while keeping it above the threshold where it will skid. (Slow being relative to slamming on the brakes) Same with a bike in a panic stop. Apply the brakes till the weight transfers to the front and then hit em hard. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can haul a bike down using only the front brakes.

Also, either learn to not use the rear brake or use it very, very lightly. When braking there will be very little weight on the rear and it will be easy to lock up with too much pressure. And locking up the rear will give a greater chance of highsiding while braking than using the front will. (If you release the rear after it locks) So if you do lock it up, keep it locked until the bike stops. The only time I use my rear brake is to lock up my rear on purpose. It reminds me of being a kid and skidding my bicycle. That and goosing the throttle on a gravel road to break the rear loose makes me think I need a dirt bike...

Props to posting though, and admitting the mistakes. But with only 3 weeks of experience please learn more about riding before trying to keep up with anybody. There are a lot more nuances to riding other than twisting the wrist.

-Mod
Damn as always Mr. Ao. sir great advice!

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

June 26, 2004, 03:05 AM

I've learned to use and trust my front breaks more then anything. Skills will develop as you ride longer. Always try to ride your limits. But I've had my wreck also last year. But you learn from your mistakes.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

June 29, 2004, 01:35 AM

I think Modian put it best in a post from some time ago!!
"My bike has a rear brake?"

Words to live by on a motorcycle. Remember even in your car the brake bias is something like 70% front 30% rear its just that the braking system does this split for you!!

Congrats on not completely wadding your bike or yourself!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YUSOSLO Send a message via MSN to YUSOSLO  
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 29, 2004, 09:42 AM

the thing is getting that right hand to maintain some throttle and slow the bike also. There is "blipping" also. Do you have frame sliders? I have issues on curves and leaning sometimes. The main thing is to do most of the braking while straight and up right. Do most of that before the curve and then lean that son of a gun. Great post and i'll also keep my ego in check. I went down in 02 and haven't been the same since.
Like Clint said "A man's got to know his limitations"

G-Dog

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#13)
www.got-one.com

June 29, 2004, 12:00 PM

<A href="http://www.got-one.com/vids/joplin%20.wmv" >Link works now... 8Meg mwv clip of the corner.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gotone  
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

June 29, 2004, 12:22 PM

There are only 3 scenarios in which I would use the rear brake:

1.- When the front brakes are gone
2.- When on one wheel
3.- When I am going way too hot for a turn during a rain track day or race.

For those who use the rear brake on the track when dry, It would be an interesting experiment to have them go for a few laps w/o using the rear brakes at all and see if the lap times increase or decrease.

What do you think???

Someone told me that when at the California Superbike School, Keith Code himself got into an argument with one of his instructors on this same topic. Keith advovated not to use it at all.

Why do I think it works in the rain?, well on dry, the fron tire has so much grip that your rear tire will have almost no traction whatsoever before you lock up the fron if the lever preasure is applied correctly. In the rain this is not true, you can loose your front end while still having a lot of the weight on the rear tire even if you applied the front correctly, thus allowing you to have "some" stopping power with the rear wheel.

That is for very experienced riders, as to the rest of us -- it takes so much concentration to apply the fron brakes correctly, maintain correct vision span, veer off, flick, dance, etc in an emergency situation that the last thing you want is to add another variable to the equation when it is helping very little or non at all and takes certain percentage of your attention.
Unread
  (#15)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 6, 2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies....As for braking, what is the best practice?

For example Sumitt's Point:

Turn 1

Power braking then powering out of it? Or anticipating it, getting off the throttle, and engine brake to maximize entry and exit speed?

The Chicane (SP?)

I have NO idea how to set up for this, I try to follow the lines as best I can but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any responses...

PS: Yes Ag is for the element Silver.