DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
4 members and 559 guests
Bunky, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Priceless
Unread
  (#1)
Too Lazy to Post

Priceless - April 24, 2011, 05:11 PM

Reevu MSX-1 Helmet: $400

Joe Rocket Radar Jacket: $300

Scorpion DS Gloves: $100

Being able to pop back up like a damn jack-in-the-box after a 35mph lowside? Priceless

The particulars:

Who: Just me. Got called in to 911 as a motorcycle vs. car but the reality was it was just me.

When: Approx 6:45pm on 4/23/2011

Where: West of Leesburg on Dry Mill Road probably a mile before you get to the nasty 90 degree turn.

What/Why/How: Heading west on Dry Mill, silver vehicle behind me. I'm doing about 35 heading into a gentle turn to the left. I see another car coming in the opposite direction and panic a little because I think I'm going into the turn too fast. Instead of leaning further into the turn I straighten the bike up and grab brake. Huge mistake. Low side it and immediately pop back up to my feet. I'm slightly injured but don't feel it just yet. Thank you adrenalin. I look at the bike and see the windshield and left mirror are toast and the fairings have taken a beating. FML.

I have several good Samaritans stop to make sure I'm fine which I am. One of them helped me right the bike and push it off the side. I begin to call my sister to have her grab my truck and come pick me up but the gentleman whose driveway I'm in is able to get it started again. He takes it down his driveway for a short test and it checks out fine.

I'm just about to leave when the Rescue Squad from Hamilton arrives on scene. Engine 5 and an ambulance as well as 2 Loudoun Sheriff's deputies.

All my stuff is in order and I haven't had a drop of alcohol in months so no ticket for me. I have to say the officers were very nice and the medical and fire folks were great.

As a side note, the woman on Engine 5 in the turnout gear was hawt!

They leave and I continue on my merry way. The reason I had chosen that route was because I was going to get gas on the outskirts of Hamilton. I gave up on that and wound up coming up with what would turn out to be a stupider plan: 287 to Hamilton. Why is that worse? That route has 5 roundabouts and a no-merge area on 340 West where you're crazy if you're not doing at least 70. I managed the roundabouts and 340 fine and made it home with nothing else going wrong.

My injuries were thankfully limited to a bit of rash below my left elbow and a goose egg on my right shin which I think was caused by the right passenger peg. Today I'm a little sore but all will heal up.

Gloves:

Helmet:

Jacket:

And for the bike:

And the only pic I took when it was at the side of the road:

The shouldnotof's:

Should not of taken that road
Should not have panicked
Should not have straightened up. Lean MORE
Should not have grabbed brake

*sigh* Wish I didn't have a story to post in this section but oh well. These things happen. Just learn and move on.

I shudder to think what the outcome would have been had I not been wearing my gear. ATGATT. My gear saved my life or at least a very expensive and painful recovery.

Sol
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

April 24, 2011, 05:16 PM

Did you burn through the jacket at your elbow or is that just friction from the jacket rubbing on your skin?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 24, 2011, 05:19 PM

Good for you, wearing gear.

Happens to us all, man. Everyone on this board has made a stupid mistake and went down. Luckily, you aren't seriously hurt, and you walked away.

Thanks for posting this

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 24, 2011, 05:19 PM

Thankfully it wasn't worse. As you said, learn and move on. And ATGATT, a bit of a pain sometimes but you have to dress for the wreck.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 24, 2011, 05:20 PM

My MSF instructor said "don't dress for the ride, dress for the wreck."

I read threads like this, and I wonder how the fuck people can ride without gear. Boggles the mind

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 24, 2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post

Happens to us all, man. Everyone on this board has made a stupid mistake and went down. Luckily, you aren't seriously hurt, and you walked away.

Thanks for posting this
Fitz TMI man!

Good on you for wearing gear man! Glad your ok.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 24, 2011, 05:38 PM

It's a super common thing to want to stand it up when you panic in a turn. It 'turns' out that it is usually the wrong thing to do. The wear pattern on your tires indicates that you are extremely cautious when it comes to corner speed and leaning it over. You should probably hit some group rides. Maybe Tayfool's upcoming noob ride.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 24, 2011, 05:49 PM

glad you are ok man!
Unread
  (#9)
Signed up for Track Days!

April 24, 2011, 06:02 PM

Sucks about the bike and all but as others have said, the important thing is that you're okay. Hard way to learn but it happens to just about everyone at one time or another.

Thanks for posting the pics along with the your recounting of what happened. These sorts of posts can help to convince other people who may not be as resolute about wearing all their gear all the time.
Unread
  (#10)
On vacation

April 24, 2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post

Thanks for posting this
Exactly what he said. Let us know if you need help putting her back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#11)
Being nice :)

April 24, 2011, 08:11 PM

glad you're okay, thanks for sharing...

did you have any knee/shin guards?

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#12)
Being nice :)

April 24, 2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarus View Post
......I have several good Samaritans stop to make sure I'm fine which I am. One of them helped me right the bike and push it off the side.......
Good stuff... I had a handful when I wiped out.. One helped moving the bike off the middle of the rd. Another was the witness that helped fault the snotty lil teen that almost took me out.

There's good people out there...

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#13)
cake > pie

April 24, 2011, 08:43 PM

Been there. Glad you walked away to ride another day.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
I wish... just maybe ....

April 24, 2011, 09:25 PM

Glad to hear you ok! Now you are part of an elite group, called (BEEN DOWN) I am part of this group. Be very happy that you were able to walk/ride away! And welcome!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to One chance  
Unread
  (#15)
someone adopt a newb

April 25, 2011, 07:05 AM

Glad you were able to walk away. I am all about the gear and this just adds to that point. Good luck. I cant see the pics right now, but guessing the bike got thrashed pretty good by what you said. At least the gear did its job.

Originally Posted by vonstallin
That shit is like wearing a condom your whole life while living in DC, but going to brazil and going bare back with all the chicks because they look better.

derilict:
So next time you feel the need to prove to the world that you should have been euthanized as a child, do it in someone else's thread.

"No such thing as to pretty to ride. The prettier they are the harder you should ride them. This is also true when it comes to woman." Nubbs

Thank you,

Management

2006 SV650: RIP
1982 Yamaha XJ650: Went old school, but moving on
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky