DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
5 members and 563 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rear-ended on rt 50
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Rear-ended on rt 50 - October 10, 2010, 08:41 PM

Got out to ride this morning, thinking to try out a new route suggested by tiblot, and taking advantage of a great looking day. So I take 50 and start hating it because, unlike 29, the lights are not synchronized AT ALL. Anyway, the light turns red at the intersection of Fair Ridge Dr, so I stop, first "in line".

I had been stopped for an easy two minutes while suddenly I just hear the squeal of brakes and me and my bike get lurched forward. I still don't know how I managed to keep the bike upright, but I did. Of course I'm scared and shocked. I look back and I see a white voyager. Thank my lucky stars for that van and it's super low front. Surprisingly, my bike starts (it stalled, obviously) and I go into the side street (with the other driver, who did stop).

I get down and survey the damage. Aaandd.. there's none (visible at least). The only thing I can see is that the corner of my license plate is bent a little. What the...

Since we couldn't spot anything wrong with the bike, we just parted ways (I asked for his phone number and got his plate #, just in case). I still can't figure out how the hell he just didn't see me.

I know, I should have been checking my mirrors. Never again! They stressed this many times in the MSF class. I mean it's the main reason for me to keep it in gear! I figured that if I had been stopped for more than 1 minute no one could rear end into me. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway, what's anyone's experience with this sort of thing? I only have a few bumps on my left leg from where it hit the footpegs, and the bike seems to be perfectly fine (I rode it for like 60 miles after this incident). Is there any possibility of "structural" damage? Who do I take it to to get those sorts of things checked? Is it worth while?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 10, 2010, 08:51 PM

It is really hard to 'see' motorcycles, especially since there are so few of them on the road. Even as a rider, when I get behind the steering wheel I think it is very hard to see bikes.

On a side note, I think the brake lights that flash are really good for safety because they are so noticeable. I recommend them to everybody.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

October 10, 2010, 08:54 PM

If I'm stopped by myself like that, I try to flash my brake lights when other cars approach me in my lane.

It's hard to remember to always check the mirrors while stopped at an intersection, but as you can attest, it's oh-so-necessary...
Unread
  (#4)
2 wheels for life

October 10, 2010, 09:02 PM

glad you are ok!

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

October 10, 2010, 09:44 PM

wow, glad ur ok

DeReK AgIn
Unread
  (#6)
././././././././

October 10, 2010, 09:46 PM

This is one of my biggest fears when ever stopped at lights:/
Not sure If I would handled it the way you did, My insanity would of taken over and fucked up the van along with the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post

On a side note, I think the brake lights that flash are really good for safety because they are so noticeable. I recommend them to everybody.
I might have to give these a look, saw a 250 ninja the other with a flashing front and it made it very noticeable from quite a far distance behind me.
Unread
  (#7)
cake > pie

October 11, 2010, 02:27 AM

50 has a bad vibe going on right now. There was another accident up there last week. A white work van cut off a bike.

Glad OP is ok and didn't get hurt

I also always flash my brake lights if I am at a light and a car is approaching behind me.
Unread
  (#8)
Dr.'s say I'm the illest

October 11, 2010, 07:11 AM

Cars get rear-ended so anything else in the road can get it to. Nothing much you can do about someone not paying attention.

Glad you made it to ride again.
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

October 11, 2010, 12:32 PM

I try to stay left in the lane and tend to rock side to side a bit to make myself more obvious.

Flashing taillights wouldn't have helped in this situation because they only blink for ~5-10 seconds then hold solid.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

October 11, 2010, 12:50 PM

Glad you're all right.

When I'm on the road I turn into a dog chasing shinny objects, I can spot a girl and a bike around blind corners. People who can't "see" bikes are liars. They're careless.

SUE!!!

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

October 15, 2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks all. It was good (nay, great) that it was only a scare and that both me and the bike are AOK.
Unread
  (#12)
GOTTARIPANDRUNNOW

October 15, 2010, 10:53 PM

Glad no worst than its was there buddy. I have people pull out in front of me while at work and I drive a big green Sunbelt rollback, and they say its hard to see.

RIP AND RUN COMEON!!!!!2007GSXR1000 Ride your own you rookie!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000789219497
Unread
  (#13)
Romper Stomper

October 18, 2010, 11:19 AM

UUhh????? a four hundred pound object with a personon it is not difficult to see!! For those people who find that difficult to see....well you should not be driving at all! Its all a matter of people yip yapping on their phone, looking at directions, putting on make-up, eating soup, reading the newspaper or just plain asain....all of these things are why people get rear ended at a light and so on.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

October 18, 2010, 01:39 PM

make sur your rear rim is not bent should also get your rear subframe checked out could be slightly bent.
Unread
  (#15)
running on liquid crazy.

October 19, 2010, 08:14 AM

Nicer than me. I would have called the police and made sure that bastard got a ticket. Also, I try to stop on one side or the other of the whole lane, not right in the middle. At least, I think there's a better chance of not getting ass packed by an asshat.

Anyway, just make sure your rear rim isn't bent. One lucky person!

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to