DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
5 members and 558 guests
Bunky, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rider and Passenger die after chase in Winchester, VA
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Rider and Passenger die after chase in Winchester, VA - May 7, 2012, 02:48 PM

Rider ran from a cop on 81 in Winchester, tried to run a couple red lights on route 11, the last red light he tried to make it though didn't work out for him. He broadsided a van that was coming through the intersection.

Unfortunately, both him and his passenger lost their lives that night.

I hate hearing stories like this. Not because of what happened to the rider because of his own stupid decisions, but because of what happened to the passenger who didn't have much of a choice in the situation. I feel like the only choice she could have made would have been to jump off....that's probably riskier than just holding on and praying for the best...

UPDATE: Fatal Motorcycle Accident in Frederick County
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 7, 2012, 03:06 PM

Very sad. I seriously doubt that the rider can really be blamed. So to give out a speeding ticket....the cop chased. For a biker that means they either get away, or they wreck. I agree they should be punished. But the severity for the crime is not reasonable. The cop should have had the plate, send a car to wait near their house. De-escalate the situation and maybe some parents didn't have to find out their daughter died needlessly.

I don't blame the cop. I blame the policy that let him continue a chase that has a fairly high probability of serious injury. Not to mention that the biker hit a minivan with a family inside. Biker's fault yes. But would that have happened if the cop had shut down the pursuit?

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
whatever you say chief

May 7, 2012, 03:11 PM

Did this happen right near the Denny's and the Taco Bell?

2008 CBR600RR- Two Brothers Exhaust - K&N Air Filter - K&N Oil Filter - Flush signals - Fender eliminator - PIAA lamps

2011 Ninja 250 (sold)
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

May 7, 2012, 03:14 PM

One light up from the Denny's/Taco bell light. The one with the liberty station on the corner.
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 7, 2012, 03:15 PM

edit....double post because my internet sucks
Unread
  (#6)
whatever you say chief

May 7, 2012, 03:18 PM

Ahh that sucks man. I grew up hanging out at that Denny's.

2008 CBR600RR- Two Brothers Exhaust - K&N Air Filter - K&N Oil Filter - Flush signals - Fender eliminator - PIAA lamps

2011 Ninja 250 (sold)
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 7, 2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Very sad. I seriously doubt that the rider can really be blamed. So to give out a speeding ticket....the cop chased. For a biker that means they either get away, or they wreck. I agree they should be punished. But the severity for the crime is not reasonable. The cop should have had the plate, send a car to wait near their house. De-escalate the situation and maybe some parents didn't have to find out their daughter died needlessly.

I don't blame the cop. I blame the policy that let him continue a chase that has a fairly high probability of serious injury. Not to mention that the biker hit a minivan with a family inside. Biker's fault yes. But would that have happened if the cop had shut down the pursuit?
Meh...agree and disagree. Everyone involved in that situation was at fault, even the passenger unless she honestly thought she was riding with somebody that would not put her in harms way. Most girls that ride with guys like that already KNOW what could be in store. The only reason I feel sorry for her is because one thing you should never do is run in an area where street lights and traffic are a high likelihood. I would run with a passenger if it was on the highway and or a fairly clear getaway, but not on regular streets.

Sucks most to be the family in the van that had to be a part of that. But yet again, another proof that bikes are NOT a deadly hazard for other motorists on the road.
Unread
  (#8)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 7, 2012, 04:02 PM

Sorry. I disagree. I doubt that any passenger thinks that far ahead. Especially a 21 year old. She probably got on her friend/boyfriend's bike for a ride. Not to die.

It was obviously a really stupid and preventable accident. But it's not like you can punish the rider any more. And giving the driver a ticket for speeding is supposed to prevent what....accidents? Yeah. That worked out well.

Sorry. Bad policy. Especially when there are lights and other people around. Only raises the chance of a crash significantly.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

May 7, 2012, 04:26 PM

forgoing (is that even a word?) policy and whether it was right or wrong for the cop to pursue, it was pretty heartless for him to put his friend's/girlfriend's life in so much danger just because he was too proud to own up to whatever law he broke and take the punishment. If he really cared for that person, he would have made sure her ride on his bike was a safe one.

No way in the world would I try to run with my girlfriend on the back. I'd never forgive myself if something happened and she didn't survive. And it would be no one's fault but my own as it was my hand twisting the throttle.
Unread
  (#10)
TNT
GP Champ

May 7, 2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Very sad. I seriously doubt that the rider can really be blamed.
Disagree with this 100%. You are the rider, you are responsible for everything on your bike. If you don't want that responsibility, don't ride.

If I do something stupid on a bike, whatever the circumstances, it was still my decision, my fault. It may be a mistake, it may be something careless, it may be something reckless. The circumstances will dictate whether or not what I did was acceptable/not acceptable, but the fact remains that I did it, not someone else.

The rider is definitely to blame, regardless of your view on the blame of others involved. It's unfortunate that he and his passenger lost their lives and won't be able to learn from this mistake. The rest of us ought to learn, if only to make sure this wasn't completely in vain.

RIP
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 7, 2012, 04:41 PM

Sorry for lack of multi-quote; don't know how to do it on the phone.

Sad all the way around but I put the responsibility squarely with the rider. HE chose to run, nothing else made him pick that option.

As for the idea that cops should get the plate and track them down later, it isn't feasible since reading small plate on a speeding object, perhaps at distance, isn't going to work. Not to mention the owner of the bike can claim it want him. The cop loses all the proof that's obtained at a stop.

To the guy that also blames the passenger, that's just ridiculous; as nuts as saying you'd run with a passenger as long as you were on a straight section of road. Yeah, that takes all the variables out of the equation. Riding with a passenger is a huge responsibility; why you would significantly raise the risk for them over a lousy speeding ticket is beyond me.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 7, 2012, 04:49 PM

Terrible shame for all involved.

The rider may have been as great guy, but he made a really terrible decision and others suffered as a result.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

May 7, 2012, 04:58 PM

It is a terrible shame. Riders fault period!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Range Rover Owner

May 7, 2012, 05:01 PM

what if the girl told him to run for it or you are chicken shit..... the passenger could have very well encouraged the driver to go for it. she may have been a thrill seeker as well. of course the guy didn't want to let her down. so he had to show off. it's bad decision on everyone's part. your decisions defines your life.
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 7, 2012, 05:11 PM

Car driver belongs in jail for killing these motorcyclists, and the dickhead cop should be charged too

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...