DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
4 members and 518 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Heist, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Roger Lyle Track Day- 8/2- Report
Unread
  (#1)
DAS BOOT

Roger Lyle Track Day- 8/2- Report - August 4, 2007, 12:32 PM

Well, this could be in the track days section, but since I had a nasty wreck, I guess I will post it here.

The day started off a little rough... since I only had one session on Summit before, we took it nice and easy for the first couple of sessions. I was still learning the lines and getting used the "lovely pavement" they had
Third of fourth session out I went out with Jay (Boomboom929) where he started teaching me the appropriate lines to take. I think I did pretty well, the feedback from Jay was good... he said I needed work in T3, T5 then T7-T9.... which we worked on in the next session.
Next session, I felt like we picked it up a notch... I feel that I was getting better at T3 which made a better entry for T4.... and then started to work a "little" on my T7-T9 lines...
Had some fun going around... Jay corrected me once with T3 and I got it after that...well, this is where things got a little hairy... I was exiting T6 into T7 and saw that I wasn't entering correctly. Silly me thought I could correct the line while in the turn...NOT a good idea. From what I heard, I guess I breaked into the turn and ended up lowsliding... not the thing to do.
Let me be perfectly clear in stating that this was completely my fault, I should have just stuck with my original lines and worked on it the next time around....if I stuck with my original lines, I wouldn't have crashed.
So... the crash: lowslided...from what I saw from my helmet I hit the pavement on the right side of the helmet. Won't be using that one anymore...
I hit my back, from what I was told, on the gator strip with my back....and then tumbled to a stop.
I broke 4 ribs (on the right side of my back), broke my collar bone (probably from the helmet) and bruised my lung. I guess my head hit pretty hard as well, because my right ear is purple along with a little bruise on the top of my head...

The emergency folks were awesome. They took good care of me. Chris (devious), Roger Lyle, and Dillon(hosting the day) were also there to take care of me and get me into the ambulance to get going...told the poor ambulance people that if I knew I was going to have my pants off I would have shaved my legs for them

When I arrived at the hospital I was admitted into...you guess it.... Room #13.... figures....All in all I feel pretty good and for my first time (really) on the track, I did better than I thought I would..minus the fuck up . Walking around by myself... ribs and collar bone hurt, but oh well.

I can definitely say this did NOT set my confidence back, or scared me off from riding....all this did was teach me a lesson and piss me off
It was all my fault...and I have definitely learned from it...
My mom asked if I was "done" with this stuff and if the "bike" was that important to me...
No and Yes. I am not done, I refuse to be scared off of anything....just need more time to learn..and yes this is important to me...anything can happen at anytime whether or not you are on a motorcycle...

So... to everyone who called and text while I was in the hospital... Thank you, it really meant a lot.
Thank you Chris for being there and taking care of me when I needed you most . Sharon, thank you for everything you did, love you girl. Jay- thanks for trying to help me out around the track, I did learn a lot and hope to ride with you again.

Dan, Chris and Johnny V- you all did awesome out there.. you were cookin!!!

Till next time...

Also- don't criticize....I do know what I did wrong... see above, no flaming please

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I just peed a little

August 4, 2007, 12:38 PM

Karli, FYI, you did a flat 34 the lap before you crashed. Yay

any oh yea, pics coming soon
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#3)
Chupathingy?

August 4, 2007, 12:42 PM

Best report I have ever read. Honesty was the first thing you get from this. Good to hear your doing better, we that only knew you went down were waiting to hear. Get well, and share the

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

August 4, 2007, 12:46 PM

I'm sorry. I know you said not to flame, but I feel I must!

YOU DIDN'T SHAVE YOUR LEGS BEFORE RIDING!? Don't they cover this in the very first hour of the MSF course? You must have gotten there late that day.

Glad to hear your spirits are still up K. Heal up fast!

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
I just peed a little

August 4, 2007, 12:57 PM

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

August 4, 2007, 01:06 PM

Really glad you're in as good of shape as you are. Sorry to hear bout the wreck. Heal up quick

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Que se jodan!!

August 4, 2007, 01:15 PM

The pictures of you all look great - and Jay said you were doing very well! Don't beat on yourself too much - accidents happen! Heal up and let us know if there is anything we can do for you....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#8)
No! You!

August 4, 2007, 01:15 PM

OMG!! I can't believe it, you didn't shave your legs! Yeah, a mistake indeed....I'm bringing over a year supply of razors. Carajo!!

Don't scare us again and this time I don't mean the legs!

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

August 4, 2007, 01:17 PM

Well, the trackday was fun! I was out just to have a good time...I wasn't worried about any times but thanks to Vacarro we clicked off a few fun laps. I worked on some lines and depending on how Karli's feeling I'll race the September races so we'll see.

Anyhow, I was riding the advanced group which was nice...I really didn't get held up because the field wasn't crowded so it was easy to pick a line without having to scare anyone. A few people were a bit slower than everyone but hey it's a trackday so it didn't bother me much.

Well, I came around and saw a rider down...as I approached...I see it's a blue yamaha...wait...those look like Karli's leathers it is Karli. FACK...so I turned around and waived the rider who was behind me by...another group was in the middle of the carousel so I quickly darted over and threw my bike on the tires and ran over.
Normally, I would just pit...however...I've seen a number crashes and I knew something was wrong by how she was laying and the fact that she wasn't moving. Well, nothing life threatening which was good...she could feel all her limbs which was good as well. However, her back hurt which was NOT good and she was having difficulty breathing. I had a discussion with the medics who were amazing and decided to follow their advice and take her to the hospital. Better safe than sorry.

I want to thank Roger Lyle and his crew. The trackday was a blast up until that point and I'd recommend Roger Lyle's trackdays to anyone. There were a number of crashes but that's typical of any trackday...one guy did go the wrong way on the straight which was the strangest and dumbest thing I've seen on the track. Again, hats off to Roger and his crew...amazing job and concern.

The Winchester hospital was incredible...they were fast and the facility and staff were top notch. If you ever get injured at Summit...tell them to take you to Winchester.

Well, Karli's doing really well...her spirit isn't broken by any means so she'll be out there next season.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the PM's...calls...well wishes! You all rock! Thank you so much!

BIG Thanks go to Dan aka Whisper and Johnny Vacarro for staying behind to make sure everything was ok. Jay/Kirs thanks for following up as well...honestly so many people were calling/texting/sending PM's that I'll leave people out so while my thanks is not proper please know it's all appreciated.

This sport sometimes we have a great day...sometimes a bad day where maybe we feel slow...and other days we fall. It's how we get back up which defines us at times and having everyone offer so much support means more than I can tell everyone.

Again...thank you all so much!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#10)
I got a need for Speed!_!

August 4, 2007, 01:52 PM

Glad to see you are now in the healing process, I guess you can stop worrying about your Atkins until after your bones are healed at least. I hope you can get a bike together for next year, I look forward to seeing your crew out at the track again. I had never ridden advance, but it was a fun challenge chasing and being chased by everyone.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to thespectralsorrows Send a message via AIM to thespectralsorrows  
Unread
  (#11)
DAS BOOT

August 4, 2007, 02:00 PM

The bike is actually repairable
It was nice meeting you and hopefully you had a good time. I feel bad the track was closed down till the EMS came back. If it makes you all feel any better I felt like total shit....I'm glad I went to the hospital then instead of waiting to go by myself.
One funny...Chris helped me place a heating pad on my broken collar bone............and pressed on it. All I could do was sit and stare. and say ..sillyman forgot it was broken

Unread
  (#12)
Ummm...yeaaah

August 4, 2007, 02:02 PM

Heal up Karli and make Chris do everything he's a slacker I can tell.

El Zee
CCS MA EX#96
http://www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EL ZEE  
Unread
  (#13)
DAS BOOT

August 4, 2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedMonkey
holy shit Kirs, that's awesome!!!! I think I got my knee down that day more than any other time. Awesome pics Kirs!!!

Unread
  (#14)
DAS BOOT

August 4, 2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER
I'm sorry. I know you said not to flame, but I feel I must!

YOU DIDN'T SHAVE YOUR LEGS BEFORE RIDING!? Don't they cover this in the very first hour of the MSF course? You must have gotten there late that day.

Glad to hear your spirits are still up K. Heal up fast!
Ehhh sue me I was waiting till I got home after the sweaty day

Unread
  (#15)
DAS BOOT

August 4, 2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKR6
Heal up Karli and make Chris do everything he's a slacker I can tell.
already on it thanks mister