DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
4 members and 545 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Nobrains, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sh*t H*ppens
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

Sh*t H*ppens - July 24, 2014, 11:35 PM

June 21st I had a bad afternoon.
It had started great! I had just woken up from a nap, started dinner for the fam and decided I had a window for a nice ride.

Katie, my wife, said that it had just finished raining and I shouldn't go out; and if she got a call she would be pissed. I assured her she would not.

I decided to don my Teknic two piece suit, no back protector, Teknic boots, and Gloves and my Arai helmet.
I was just leaving the neighborhood, I got to the first stop light, behind three cars; light turns green and I follow, as I start to straighten up the bike, about 3/4 of the way through the turn, I start to roll on the throttle.

The rear must have been on paint, or oil... something, it starts to kick, actually, it spits out from under me, and I go with it. No chopping of the throttle, no over exaggerations of the body movement. Im positive, as this has happened before, that I will just ride this out and keep going. Then, it bites.

It was every bit of the old 500cc MotoGP ejections you have seen. I remember only being ejected.

I wake up to police, and EMT and kind citizens. I knew the day and tried to fight my way to walking the bike home.
I was threatened with a DUI.
As when asked the last time I had dranked, I said when I left the party.
It was a reference to the neighborhood happy hour (from my wifes and parents neighborhood) I had went to the night previous, and that even was only a few beers.

The EMTs convinced the police that my behavior was because the event had knocked me unconscious. I had not been drinking for over 20 hours, but the fact that I kept trying to refuse the ambulance ticked the officer off enough for him to say.."Get in to the ambulance or I will give you a field sobriety test and you will not pass"

And I would not have, I had been drifting in and out of consciousness, and, well, Im a stubborn SOB. It was at this time that the medics pointed out my collar bone. And I obliged to a trip to the hospital. (the bone was plain to see through the skin.)

So; I shattered my collar bone, and broke 5 ribs, and the soft tissue damage was extensive. BTW it took my complaining of pain for a 2nd xray of more than my neck area (its obvious when a bone is poking around that something is amiss, but the rest is not so easy to see from an outside perspective) and then boom, Mr Jordan you also have 5 broken ribs....

Thanks for the thorough review...

I was in massive amounts of pain, so much so that the ER doc wanted me admitted to FFX shock trauma for 3 days to manage pain. I rejected, and was convinced that I could handle it and even rejected any pain meds upon release.

(I have a long medical history that some here know and most pain meds dont do sh*t for me)

I was informed I had, upon request (when I mentioned my ribs also hurting) , been given multiple injections for pain. Ok yea I was in a lot of pain, but I will just take aleve at home, I dont like meds.

"Sir, you have been given 4 oral doses of Vicodin, and 2 very large IV doses of Dilaudid."
"So, I will manage, I dont like narcotics"
"Sir, Dilaudud is 8 times stronger than Morphine. I am stunned that you can talk right now."
"Hunh, I will take the meds, but Im not willing to go to shock trauma."

Stubbornly I took the prescriptions. Nurses and my wife have assumed the pain to be on birth levels; my wife said that at least she got an epidural.

For weeks my pain was incapacitation levels. Every move, every standard thing you do. I needed help to do anything, my wife had to help me out of bed at 3 am to take a leak, and the pain of getting up and down would keep me up for hours.

There are few more unsettling events than feeling bones shifting with every movement. And few more crappy moments than not being able to perform any day to day normal things for your family, getting your daughter from the crib,cleaning, cooking (I do 99% of the cooking), walking/feeding the dogs, I was a waste.

5 days after the event, upon recommendations, and reviews and from WERAs forum I accepted my docs recommendation to have surgery on my collar bone. A 5 1/4 in plate and 8 screws were put in, to include "lassoing" a fragment to the plate.

Apparently the xrays did not fully divulge the state of my collar bone and the doc said he was very pleased with his work but the surgery was much more extensive than expected.

Prior to the surgery every move would cause the bone to poke out of random parts of my neck/shoulder area, I laughed, other people vomited.

Ironically the bike is not in terrible shape. It more than likely used me as a cushion on a few points while the curbing and signs beat me up.

Fairings, bar end mirrors, clutch cover, brake lever. Suit fared ok, gloves and boots look great, helmet trashed, all over, 360 its been tossed.

I will post some shots to this thread of the gear, wounds and such. But there is a very good reason I have hid this. Im embarrassed.

I was doing nothing stupid, I was even under the speed limit. I have experienced the rear breaking loose and grabbing before, hell Ive been riding for over a dozen years, started on dirt, and been to several track days, even when it started to break loose that day I remember thinking, ok, keep steady, dont chop the throttle, balance the weight.... then I feel that I am being launched..... Then, nothing, black.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; September 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 24, 2014, 11:52 PM

No need to be embarrassed. Shit happens.

Glad you're OK.

If you can identify things to improve in your mind, great, learn from it.

If not, chalk it up to bad luck and be glad you're not worse off.

Heal quick!

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

July 25, 2014, 12:44 AM

A few shots of the surgery/xrays..

If I find the effort I will throw up some shots of the bike and intersection.

Worst part, mother in law wouldnt talk to me for the first weeks because the night of they came down to help watch my daughter while my wife was at my bed side and I said Id keep riding.

Every person asks if I will keep riding; and all have had the same bug eyed response when I say, of course.

Ive had some time while Im injured, and I will take more before I am able to get back on the motorcycle.

I have an amazing wife, a perfect daughter, we hope for many more, I have a loving family and in-laws that you couldnt hope for if you won the lottery.

I am weighing the options, but I just cant come to a solution where I dont ride. My own mother and MIL, were very unhappy, and maintain their position, but are happy Im considering, but my wife supports my decision what ever it may be..

Unless something grips me when I throw my leg back over that bike in a month or two, Im going for that; ride till Im 80 thing.

OH, and right before my accident my wifes bio father bought my daughter a suz 50cc with training wheels. Not going over so well with the fam.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!

Last edited by zx6rfool; July 25, 2014 at 01:07 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
Track Day addict

July 25, 2014, 06:03 AM

Really sorry to hear about this. I am glad you were at least wearing some decent gear. Sometimes I question "do I really need my back protector in my Aerostitch?" Well this tells me yes and maybe I should even wear my vest instead.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

July 25, 2014, 06:20 AM

Hope you are on the mend. Sorry to read about your accident.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

July 25, 2014, 06:33 AM

+1

Glad to hear you can start getting better.
Unread
  (#7)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 25, 2014, 06:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck man. Hope you heal up soon.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 25, 2014, 07:41 AM

Glad you're here to tell us your story.

Hope you're healing up well.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 25, 2014, 08:31 AM

damn dude....but the scar is awesome!

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#10)
Too Fat To Be Fast

July 25, 2014, 08:44 AM

Damn bro... Here's hoping to a speedy recovery.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#11)
isn't camping great?!?!

July 25, 2014, 08:51 AM

flirt with the pretty nurses, blame it on the drugs.

sorry about the mishap, it happens. feel better soon!

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

July 25, 2014, 09:00 AM

Rough ass day for sure. Heal up.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

July 25, 2014, 09:11 AM

jeze dude.. this is way worse than when you busted your ankle getting caught...

How about maybe a cruiser? Sit back..relax. Ask fitz, he drank the coolaide

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; July 25, 2014 at 09:16 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Sewing Machine Rider

July 25, 2014, 09:22 AM

Shit like this is one of the reasons traction control and ABS were on my list for a new bike. Happens to the best of us. Best of luck with the recovery.
Unread
  (#15)
Range Rover Owner

July 25, 2014, 09:31 AM

moral of story: always listen to wife.