DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 235
1 members and 234 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
TIPPED OVER IN DRIVEWAY TANK DENTED!
Unread
  (#1)
New bike new fun

TIPPED OVER IN DRIVEWAY TANK DENTED! - August 16, 2009, 09:07 AM

So i moved out to the boonies behind the haymarket sheets into an old farmhouse long story short all gravel and very hilly, i got off last night and before i could do anything she dropped on left side, no damage other than tank dent but its bugging me i guess i should let it be but i was wondering short of replacing tank what celse could i do? thanks
happy biker bash if i didnt have to work today i would so be there.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadmechanicR6  
Unread
  (#2)
Largely Unsupervised....

August 16, 2009, 10:05 AM

http://dentmasters.com/

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 18, 2009, 03:10 PM

You think that'll work for real dent? It's probably right on a crease. I was actually looking for a place I could get new one. I found www.bikebandit.com but was hoping there was someone here that new of a local place or just another place to price compare different bits.
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

August 18, 2009, 03:51 PM

mine fell in the garage. dented at the crease.. only suggestion i got was to fill it with water and put it in a freezer to pop the dent a little. other than that, replace the tank is the only option.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

August 18, 2009, 03:55 PM

You'd have to find out if the tank is single layer or double. Some tanks have to layers of sheet metal, so it would not be possible to pop it out from the inside.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

August 18, 2009, 04:16 PM

FYI - i looked for my tank and it's about $800.
Unread
  (#7)
Largely Unsupervised....

August 18, 2009, 05:45 PM

It doesn't cost you a thing to have dentmasters look at it. If the dent is on a crease, they may only be able to reduce the size of the dent down to one little nick. I've used them to remove all sorts of dings from my parents' cars, I've heard of them removing dents from aluminum siding, and I once got an estimate for removing dents from a metal, garage door panel. My feeling is if you can get 95% of the dent out and don't need to paint, great.

Alternately, dents add character and relieve you of any concern about all the people that are helplessly drawn to that large shiny bit of your bike that MUST have their greasy little fingerprints all over it. Now you can just concentrate on riding it. Most of my bikes have dents, all of them have friggin' greasy little fingerprints. Most get washed when it rains.

..and another thing, the hotter the girl is that sits on your bike, the bigger the guaranty she will mar or damage it - it's a package deal. Unless she rides too, then she's too hot to hang out with the likes of you.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#8)
My R1 Eats My Adobo!

August 19, 2009, 11:13 AM

I have an 04 R6 Liquid Silver just like yours...from the pic.

It also has 2 big dents from previous owner. I think my only cheaper option at this point is have it fixed and repainted. Bondo. Should cost you a couple hundred. Better than at least $500 for a new tank
Unread
  (#9)
USSA

August 19, 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbett View Post
It doesn't cost you a thing to have dentmasters look at it. If the dent is on a crease, they may only be able to reduce the size of the dent down to one little nick. I've used them to remove all sorts of dings from my parents' cars, I've heard of them removing dents from aluminum siding, and I once got an estimate for removing dents from a metal, garage door panel. My feeling is if you can get 95% of the dent out and don't need to paint, great.

Alternately, dents add character and relieve you of any concern about all the people that are helplessly drawn to that large shiny bit of your bike that MUST have their greasy little fingerprints all over it. Now you can just concentrate on riding it. Most of my bikes have dents, all of them have friggin' greasy little fingerprints. Most get washed when it rains.

..and another thing, the hotter the girl is that sits on your bike, the bigger the guaranty she will mar or damage it - it's a package deal. Unless she rides too, then she's too hot to hang out with the likes of you.
+1

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

August 19, 2009, 02:37 PM

PM dirty, he has the tools. Post a pic.