DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
4 members and 564 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Heist, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Site Owner

May 23, 2006, 02:02 AM

Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry if I'm being politically (in)correct with this, but I was charged with reckless driving for 76 in a 55 on Dulles Toll Road (on my 954). I was convicted. I now have reckless driving on my record for the next 11 years (correct me if I'm wrong), for 21 over.

Someone *KILLS* two people for negligent driving and is given the same citation that I am? I would love for someone to explain that to me.

If I was 70+ years old on my sportbike doing 76 in a 55, am I still going to get charged?

I *really* don't understand how Northern VA traffic laws/citations work. I would love someone to explain it to me.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#17)
GP Racer

May 23, 2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry if I'm being politically (in)correct with this, but I was charged with reckless driving for 76 in a 55 on Dulles Toll Road (on my 954). I was convicted. I now have reckless driving on my record for the next 11 years (correct me if I'm wrong), for 21 over.

Someone *KILLS* two people for negligent driving and is given the same citation that I am? I would love for someone to explain that to me.

If I was 70+ years old on my sportbike doing 76 in a 55, am I still going to get charged?

I *really* don't understand how Northern VA traffic laws/citations work. I would love someone to explain it to me.

i dont think the ppl in the system even knows how its work, its just however the officer feels about the person/situation is how they get charged they dont follow any guide lines
guess cause its a old lady and its a biker its wayyy different, but reckless driving isnt enough for this charge

what if a 21 year old male in a sport car had caused the accident do yuo think the charge would jus be reckless drivng NOO
RIP to the bikers, dam i hope they didnt have kids thats both parents at the same time
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#18)
GP Racer

May 23, 2006, 06:55 AM

RIP, didn't see them, more like probably didn't even look. Sad for all involved, they should take her license forever, but she'll get nothing.

I like how they said the bike "then hit the front of the car". BS, the car hit the bike with the front. Total BS, just the way things are worded sub-consciously it is the bikes fault. BS!!

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#19)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 23, 2006, 03:16 PM

I dont know what anyone else experienced this weekend, but it seemed to me that people were driving like absolute jacktards this weekend in particular. I always see people doing stupid things when Im out but this past weekend it seemed like there were an above average number of knucklheads behind the wheel. Ive never had so many close calls in my life like I did on saturday. it got so bad I called it a day way earlier than I wanted to. Be careful mangs!

Kyle B
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to KyleB  
4 the Two
Unread
  (#20)
Got my Permit

4 the Two - May 23, 2006, 03:33 PM

R.I.P I am always worried some idiot is gonna try and cut in front of me and cause an accident. Wish there were more aware of their surroundings.
Unread
  (#21)
I'm an Asshole

May 23, 2006, 03:46 PM

They could have charged her with vehicular manslaughter. Which would make more sense than reckless driving. I think that's what a younger person would have recieved, but due to her age she got the reckless.

Vehicular manslaughter can be charged as a misdemenor or a felony depending on the circumstances. I think a misdemenor should have been the charge.

I feel sympathy for everyone involved, even if it was due to negligence on the old woman's part. She certainley didn't intend to harm anyone. I think that EVERYONE has a moment or two during every drive where they aren't paying attention 100% and it just so happened that something horrible happened during that moment. Could have been any one of us.

Reminds me of a girl in my high school who was in an opposite situation. She was 16 and was driving a van with her friend of the same age, and while changing radio stations she had a head on collision with a geo metro killing an elderly lady. I'm not sure what she was charged with or if anything, but I'm sure she was sorry for what she had done.

Edit: RIP to the two and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#22)
I'm so tired

May 23, 2006, 03:47 PM

RIP for the couple.

As for the charge...you can always add charges later. The fact that she was arrested at the time of the accident when the two rider were probably still alive and headed to the hospital. Later when the couple dies, the district attorney can and will probably add the manslaughter charges later.

Be patient...I'm sure the couples family will not let a reckless charge stick and will pursue further charges.

Warren, Spud...correct me if I am wrong. Its been some time since I have read the book on this one. And since I am retired...I don't remember half of everything that I use to know.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#23)
Cooked White Rabbit

May 23, 2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsR
I hope you and everyone else that feels this way is a member of AMA. They are trying to fix this through "Justice for All".
You mean AMA that supports NO HELMUT LAWS?

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#24)
PewPew

May 23, 2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Are you kidding me?

ah this debate... Technically in the State of Virginia 20 over the speed limit is not grounds for "wreckless driving" if the operator is in control o fthe vehicle and is not driving aggressively. LEOs are taught to shoot for the moon so to speak with their charges, and since very few citizens know how the law works they get charged with the Wreckless and don't know any better. Wreckless driving is any act which endangers yourself other motorists on the highway which includes weaving in and out of traffic, extreme speed increases ( i.e. testing your bikes 0-60 time lol, ) Excessive braking ( Endos also known as Stoppies ), Braking Traction, Loss of contact between vehicle and the road ( no wheelies basically ) and I could go on. Basically you have to be doing more then just speeding 20 over to warrent a wreckless ticket.

Problem is proving you weren't doing any of these things in court. And since you're on a sportbike your word is less likely to be considered truthful.

RIP to the riders... ashame to hear about this kinda of thing.

Last edited by NoVaGhost; May 23, 2006 at 05:31 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#25)
GP Champ

February 22, 2017, 11:14 PM

Olga died in 2012.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#26)
Triumph-ant

February 22, 2017, 11:46 PM

78 and on the road. She was old

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#27)
GP Champ

February 23, 2017, 08:44 AM

I got hit by a 73??? year old guy...looked dazed and confused doing about 4 mph or so cutting across 5 or 6 lanes on lee hwy (2 each way plus turn lanes). As it was happening I'm looking at the guy who is looking at me as its happening....I'm thinking no way no way NO WAY WHAAATTT THE

BLAO...

Almost feels like they are trying to kill you when they are staring at you.

RIP to that couple. I met them a very long time ago.

Unread
  (#28)
GP Champ

February 23, 2017, 11:49 AM

When my Mom became uncomfortable with what she could see and how she felt operating a car she stopped driving. She was 79 at the time. She was a competent driver up until that point. I hope that I can recognize my limits when/if the time comes and voluntarily stop operating huge death machines.
Unread
  (#29)
GP Champ

February 23, 2017, 01:58 PM

My pops is slipping here and there, missing stop signs....going 47 on the highway. I get so ANGRY but he thinks my criticism is due to being biased towards speed and misses the fact that he makes serious blunders. Or is in this sorta apathetic denial.

Unread
  (#30)
Derpentine Dealer

February 23, 2017, 02:03 PM

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.