DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
2 members and 568 guests
davidcycle, Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
opossum puncher

December 19, 2013, 11:32 AM

Wow, looking at the damage to the car, Im glad are alive, let alone that the person was found guilty. Hope your road to recovery is as smooth and fast as possible.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#17)
GP Champ

December 19, 2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
man..glad you are still with us. its starting to look like everyone needs a dash/helmet cam via Russia now adays..

I started looking in to something that would work well for a bike. I did not find one. Yeah, I have a GoPro, but I am not going to record every trip and keep recharging the battery etc. I have a VIO POV camera that would be ideal. It has the loop mode you need, is waterproof and can be run off the bike battery. I don't know if it will start automatically when you start the bike the way commercial dash cams do. I trashed the lipstick camera part of it and it is the old SD version not the HD so I don't know if I can get a replacement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
GDMFSOB

December 20, 2013, 11:51 AM

Holy shit, dude! Good thing you are here to tell the tale!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
WHY ISN'T THE LEG PIC EXPANDING? I'm gross like that. I wanna see a bigger pic.
x3

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#19)
no one's blowing up moons

December 21, 2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
Burn the video to a DVD and mail it to someone that can edit it.
Montgomery Co PD said Accident Reconstruction wants to use it for training and an MSF instructor wants it for the program so I want to get all that set, in case they need copyright stuff, before I 'public domain' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Hope you are feeling better. Know you can't post anything about it yet.
Laywer says criminal is done so I can tell you anything you want to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Man, looking at the damage you inflicted on the civic shows how violent the crash was!!
I prefer to think of it as "See what happens when you try to f*ck with me and my TU!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
WHY ISN'T THE LEG PIC EXPANDING? I'm gross like that. I wanna see a bigger pic.
I tried. I only have that pic cause I asked the responding Ofc. (a motorman) to take a shot straight down into the hole and send it to me. I'm running Linux and have gimp but I can't find the way to increase the pixels and make it clearer. You'll just have to click on it and zoom. And yes, the dark spot at the bottom is were the bone is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenWeenie View Post
I've been seriously thinking about getting one just on insurance purposes alone.
Best ATGATT money I've ever spent. There was a cager that looked right at me and grinned and started moving into my lane when I had no where to go. I honked and when he looked I tapped the cam. He saw it, the grin disappeared and he got back in his own lane. That was the last time I 'forgot' to turn the cam on. If I'd had vid I could have gotten a truly dangerous cager off the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Glad you made it through the incident and hope you recover fully soon. Let us know if we can help.
Thanks, I know you guys are out there. Just keep up the ride reports so I can read about riding until I can get there for myself.

The bad part is the moto cop said I did everything right. Had the hi-viz gear, full armored suit, full face helmet, etc. I keep thinking about what could I have done differently.

Next spring will be interesting.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#20)
GP Champ

December 21, 2013, 09:32 AM

One thing I have heard to help some in avoiding other vehicles turning left into you is to move back and forth in your lane. I haven't integrated this into my own practices but it does make sense.
Unread
  (#21)

December 21, 2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
One thing I have heard to help some in avoiding other vehicles turning left into you is to move back and forth in your lane. I haven't integrated this into my own practices but it does make sense.
And I often do that.

There were vehicles in both left turn lanes. The n bound was a truck and the s bound was the Honda. Neither of us could see the other. He waited a bit but instead of inching forward a bit at a time until he could see the oncoming lanes he just decided to go for it. That just happened to be when I got to the intersection.
lite_under.jpg

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Last edited by lam@dcsf; December 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM..
Unread
  (#22)
On vacation

December 21, 2013, 10:53 AM

That's crazy, I work five blocks from there. Sorry this happened but glad the driver was found guilty. Heal up fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
UPDATE - Got the vid!
Unread
  (#23)

UPDATE - Got the vid! - September 4, 2015, 05:03 PM

Gfycat - jiffier gifs through HTML5 Video Conversion. Fast, simple gif hosting without size limits.
I still don't know how to embed this (yes, I read that post but it's not youtube) but the link should take you there.

All in all it cost the guy about 200 in fines and costs.

I got - leg and hand crippled - no job – no career – savings/retirement wiped out – pension and annuity gone - at 57 I doubt I could re-train even if I didn't have learning disabilities.

Oh and I found out later that some of the vid recorded the LEO's talking. One LEO told the other that the hitter told him "he was a rider too" so the cop said felt bad for him. Really?
(I have the guy's pic. If he is a rider do we want to know if any of us know him?)

Some of the things I've learned -

One more thing you can do when approaching an intersection where a turning vehicle blocks your view of opposing traffic is look at the pavement under the vehicle to see if there are headlights reflecting off the pavement.

ATGATT – because the day you go to work in 'less' is the day some cager decides they're tired of waiting for their view to clear and they just punch it.

MD has a thing called subrogation that the lawyers try to avoid explaining. It pretty much means that if you want the insurance settlement you paid for you can only get it by selling your right to sue to the insurance companies. That means their settlement is all you get even if it's not enough to pay your costs. So - never ride in MD again.

No "back to work" rehab program will even talk to you if you're not a Worker's Comp case. You get to figure out how to pay for PT and recovery out of your own pocket, or how do it on your own with no professional guidance, enough so you can go back to work and there's no assistance.

Paranoia is a survival positive activity off the bike too because 'your' lawyer is never actually your lawyer. Professional ethics my a**, the only interests they really represent are their own.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Last edited by lam@dcsf; September 5, 2015 at 08:32 PM..
Unread
  (#24)
Real Men Pedal

September 4, 2015, 05:47 PM

Sorry to hear this but glad you're alive. In the end, you had a shitty lawyer.
Unread
  (#25)
Groping is a skill...

September 4, 2015, 08:06 PM

Man that's hard to hear. Hope things get better from here brother

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#26)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 4, 2015, 09:14 PM

I'm glad you made it out of that alive, lam. And I hope things get better.

I remember when I came to visit, even that soon after the accident, you weren't takin no shit.

If this had happened to other people, I'd worry. You'll come out on top. Keep the faith

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#27)
Playing with toys

September 5, 2015, 11:40 AM

Another angle that most people don't consider is get the best insurance you can get with very high coverage. If someone hits you and they have garbage insurance (or worse flee the scene), you may need to tap into your own some day. Minimum coverage in terms of dollars may be gone after the first days if something catostrophic happens. Good luck on your road to recovery, wish you the best.

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#28)
Your Ad Here

September 5, 2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RIDER View Post
Another angle that most people don't consider is get the best insurance you can get with very high coverage
Not everyone has the financial means or affluence to absurd the yearly premium of the "gold plated" plans.

Even if you ask them to respin the yearly premium numbers with a financially stunning deductible, it's still far outside the means of many.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#29)

September 5, 2015, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

Fitz - I do remember that you came to the hospital, you're a brave man and a stand up guy. I have to say I'm not sure how much of that visit I remember - I was on a lot of Dilaudid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
Sorry to hear this but glad you're alive. In the end, you had a shitty lawyer.
You have no idea . . . .and there were two of them. The first one tried to steal from me and the second one helped everyone else before he helped me.

Unfortunately I don't have family so there wasn't anyone looking out for me while I was doped to the max. I suggest some sort of "buddy-system" for anyone that doesn't already have someone set to help protect them if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RIDER View Post
Another angle that most people don't consider is get the best insurance you can get with very high coverage. If someone hits you and they have garbage insurance (or worse flee the scene), you may need to tap into your own some day. Minimum coverage in terms of dollars may be gone after the first days if something catostrophic happens. Good luck on your road to recovery, wish you the best.
I was told that VA has a limit on how much Uninsured/Underinsured I could carry no matter how willing I was to pay for more. I carried the max and it still wasn't enough.

This site is one of the best things I've had over the last two years. Most of the people around me have at least a little bit of "it's really your own fault because you were on a motorcycle" lurking around the edges of any conversation. I'm glad you guys are here. Thanks again.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#30)
Your Ad Here

September 5, 2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
And I often do that.

There were vehicles in both left turn lanes. The n bound was a truck and the s bound was the Honda. Neither of us could see the other. He waited a bit but instead of inching forward a bit at a time until he could see the oncoming lanes he just decided to go for it. That just happened to be when I got to the intersection.
Attachment 29194

Easy to see how this happened. Truck driver was camped out in the middle of the intersection waiting to make a left, but screening the Honda driver from the view of oncoming traffic.

This is the prime example of why I wish America would adopt a
"Crossing J" left turn pattern at 4-way intersections where the two vehicles have to pass each other on the driver's sides, not the passenger side, before making the left turn.

It nearly eliminates the drivers from screening each other from the view of oncoming traffic and prevents that awkward "are you going straight or making the left turn" dance with a car from the opposite direction.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to