DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 575
2 members and 573 guests
davidcycle, Heist
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Well, I'm an idiot
Unread
  (#1)
idiot

Well, I'm an idiot - July 18, 2008, 01:00 AM

I'm yet another statistic making sport bike riders look terrible, and I feel pretty shitty about it.

I decided to take my bike out tonight at around 9:30 to just cruise around. Went up to Rockville and took the pike up to regal and I was behind a car that was turning left into that huge parking lot, looked to the left I think while both my bike and the car in front of me were moving, look back forward and to my surprise he is stopped and I run right into him at about 5-10 mph. I fly over the handle bars, I think I might have landed on his trunk for a second, and then hit the ground. I'm fine, but my front end is all messed up along with various other parts of my bike. The car was pretty much fine. I'll probably have to replace his bumper since there is a nice little scuff on it, but no major damage.

The guy driving the car was super nice and so was another random guy who heard the crash and helped me pick up my bike. Funny thing is that only one person came to see if I was alright although there were tons of people in the area going to see Dark Knight. The cop who came was also really nice and told me what to do to not get a ticket for the incident.

Tow truck comes about 2 hours later to pick up my bike to bring it home and this is where something else happens. Once we get to my house, he tells me to sit on the bike and hold the front brake while he tilts the bed back so we can roll the bike off. There is quite a bit of oil on the truck bed so my bike starts slide off. It picks up some speed and eventually crashes to the ground off the bed and I barely got off it. More damage was done to the bike and my right leg hurts in my groin area.

Tow truck guy tells me this has never happened before and gives me the paperwork for the towing. He pretty much accepts no responsibility even though there is obviously more damage to the bike. Luckily, my dad who drove out to help me out took pictures of the bike from after I hit the car and then after the tow truck incident so there is proof the tow truck did more damage.

Is the towing company liable for the damages done to my bike from what happened on the tow truck?

Pics. Doesn't even look like he got any good pics of the right side before the tow truck which makes me a bit nervous. In the higher res version you can more easily see there are no scratches in picture number 5, but I still don't know if that would be good enough. But, you can definitely see how the mirror was broken off. Also note the tires before and after going on the tow truck:

After the tow truck:

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
08 Honda CBR600RR (wrecked)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)

Last edited by CannonballGB; July 24, 2008 at 03:01 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
P

July 18, 2008, 03:04 AM

that's pretty wack dude.. I would think that the tow truck company would be responsible because they're responsible for the transport until it's safe at your house (or whatever the destination may be).. right?

Jah Love

2006 SV650S
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

July 18, 2008, 04:54 AM

Sorry to hear, Greg. PM coming your way. About the people at the scene who didn't check on your condidtion, that's what America has become. Entertainment is the only thing that matters. I'm disappointed but not surpised. About the cop who didn't give you a ticket for the rearender. Holy cow, that guy is super cool. About the tow truck driver, he's an idiot. If you have the time and energy, you should go after the company because you may have an injury. I know a guy who might be able to advise you and represent you if you sue. That'll be in the PM.

Don't beat yourself up too much about the accident. It happens. On a bike there are so many things you have to look at and so many distractions that can take your eyes away for that crucial second. I know from experience.
Unread
  (#4)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 18, 2008, 06:06 AM

Wow, I want to say it surprises me that people act this way but it doesn't. Not in this area.

Sorry about your luck...and as far as your mishap, it happens. We all make mistakes. Just glad you weren't severely hurt.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 18, 2008, 07:33 AM

Sorry to hear but the same thing happened to me in a car when I was looking in my side mirror, turned around and the car was stopped bam at about 5 or less.
Glad you weren't hurt.

The tow truck company will never take responsibility for this unless you are super lucky.
Montrose had lawyers on retainer and they paid them for this kind of stuff anyway so they just let them take care of it.
I use to work for Montrose towing for about 4 years.
Getting a bike on and off a flat bed is no easy task as I usually had to have help.
Getting it on I would have someone on the bike to keep it up while it got winched up all the while lowering and moving the bed forward.
Taking it down I would leave the winch on and still have someone on it to steady the bike.
He shouldn't have unhooked it and just let gravity and the brakes do the work.
I have seen a lot of stupid tow truck drivers. Recovery really is a science. I had many people even firemen amazed at some of the things I did with a flat bed.

A lawyer is about the only way you are going to get anywhere with the tow truck company is my guess but it didn't need to happen if done correctly!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

July 18, 2008, 07:42 AM

Sorry to hear, the tow truck company should cover the damages sustained from their incident.

Glad you're ok.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 18, 2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
Sorry to hear, the tow truck company should cover the damages sustained from their incident.

Glad you're ok.
Should and proving it is completely different. They will never admit it was their fault.
Insurance for them is already high enough, they aren't going to claim it if they can get away with it.
If the driver admits to it, at least in my case, they will take it from his pay!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
It is what it is!

July 18, 2008, 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear that bro

Glad your OK tho

If you have pics....I would let insurance know just what happened...they will go after it if they can!

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#9)
Mr. Glass

July 18, 2008, 08:17 AM

that sucks dude.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#10)
Unprofessional Ryder

July 18, 2008, 08:17 AM

Dude.....It happened to my friends bike...same thing....tow truck damaged his fairing and the tow trucks 'insurance' payed for it ....around $2,000.....DUDE IF I WERE YOU......I WOULD CALL THE TOW TRUCK COMPANY & START HAGGLING THEM...especially when you have proof....

06 CBR600rr (Sold)
07 REPSOL (Present)
Unread
  (#11)
idiot

July 18, 2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys. I mean we have pretty detailed pictures of before and after especially on the front fairings, not so much on the rear fairing, but luckily, not too much happened to it. The right mirror broke off and the entire right upper and lower fairing is really scratched up from when it fell off the truck. We also have pictures of how there is clearly oil on the front tire from after being on the tow truck.

What the cop told me is that if he had to call a tow truck to tow my bike away then he would have to write me a ticket, if I could ride the bike home (wouldn't start) or if I had my own way of getting the bike home, he wouldn't. I have free towing or something with Progressive so I called them up and they sent someone my way. But other than that he was really cool and so was the driver of the other car. Right when he got out of his car after I hit him he asked how I was. He didn't even look at the damage to his car until we were all out of the street.

I will be calling my insurance company today and talking to them about my options. Bad thing is I don't have collision insurance if it's my fault so I'm afraid I may be screwed, but my mom will probably crucify me anyways. Hopefully I can get something from the towing company.

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
Unread
  (#12)
Now with a TBSP of love

July 18, 2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
Don't beat yourself up too much about the accident. It happens. On a bike there are so many things you have to look at and so many distractions that can take your eyes away for that crucial second. I know from experience.
+1

I've almost done the same thing a couple times; especially on right turns when the car should of turned, but for whatever reason decided not to go.

Glad you're ok.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#13)
www.udothedishes.com

July 18, 2008, 08:34 AM

Sucks about the crash. At least is was a slow one rather than nailing him at 30 mph. Shite happens.

At the end of the day you're going to be paying your same deductible to fix the bike regardless if there was a bit extra done by the tow truck driver. So, the juice may not be worth the squeeze with going after them especially if lawyers get involved. Take care.

And tell everyone what really happend: you were checking out a chick in a catwoman costume in the parking lot and wasn't paying attention

Next - ?
05 Yamaha R6 - Street (SOLD)

Last edited by UnivOfPittBull; July 18, 2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: i'm an idiot
Unread
  (#14)
idiot

July 18, 2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnivOfPittBull
Sucks about the crash. At least is was a slow one rather than nailing him at 30 mph. Shite happens.

At the end of the day you're going to be paying your same deductible to fix the bike regardless if there was a bit extra done by the tow truck driver. So, the juice may not be worth the squeeze with going after them especially if lawyers get involved. Take care.

And tell everyone what really happend: you were checking out a chick in a catwoman costume in the parking lot and wasn't paying attention
I wish I was checking out some hot chick in a catwoman costume, would have made the crash worth it. But I think I was looking at traffic in the parking lot. Annoying thing is, this is more or less how I got in my one and only car crash (fender bender).

Greg
09 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Honda VFR800
(sold)
07 Kawi ZX-6R (sold)
05 Kawi 636 (sold)
Unread
  (#15)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 18, 2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonballGB
Thanks guys. I mean we have pretty detailed pictures of before and after especially on the front fairings, not so much on the rear fairing, but luckily, not too much happened to it. The right mirror broke off and the entire right upper and lower fairing is really scratched up from when it fell off the truck. We also have pictures of how there is clearly oil on the front tire from after being on the tow truck.

What the cop told me is that if he had to call a tow truck to tow my bike away then he would have to write me a ticket, if I could ride the bike home (wouldn't start) or if I had my own way of getting the bike home, he wouldn't. I have free towing or something with Progressive so I called them up and they sent someone my way. But other than that he was really cool and so was the driver of the other car. Right when he got out of his car after I hit him he asked how I was. He didn't even look at the damage to his car until we were all out of the street.

I will be calling my insurance company today and talking to them about my options. Bad thing is I don't have collision insurance if it's my fault so I'm afraid I may be screwed, but my mom will probably crucify me anyways. Hopefully I can get something from the towing company.
He calls dispatch to have a tow truck called out in rotation, he doesn't call them himself. he probably then has to do a report on why the call which then leads to you rear ending and him needing to show a ticket.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin