DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
3 members and 520 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

November 25, 2002, 09:20 AM

On friday night it was about 40 degres out and I was making a U-turn at about less than 20 mph and as I was comming out of the U turn the back wheel lost traction and it grabbed again and as soon as I knew what was happing I was thrown off of the bike about 50feet landed on my head and shoulder. My poor bike is a little banged up it's messed up on the oppisite side that I was turning. Bought my gsxr600m in may and I have put 16,000 miles on it already. So I think that I hit a patch of oil or somthing slick and the fact that it was cold out and my tires were cold. There was a shity used car dealer ship across the street. :mad2: That's why I think I hit an oil patch. This happend after I rode the bike for 30-45 minutes. That sucks.. It just scratched up one side and the exaust. The insurance should replace all of the scratched up parts right???
I have never had to use my insurance before even in my car's. And also is it gonna be hard for the dealer to replace the telefonica parts. Also is there any thing else I could have done to prevent somthing like this from happing in the future? Also the insurance should make it look like new again right?

[Edited on 25/11/2002 by Nebulis]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nebulis Send a message via MSN to Nebulis  
Unread
  (#2)
Addicted to farm animals

November 25, 2002, 09:27 AM

First sorry to hear about the bike and hope you are o.k. Next try to be aware of all surroundings when you are riding man because the unseen is hell on ya. Hope all works out for ya. Laterz

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

November 25, 2002, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your spill. Doesn't sound like the damage is too bad, though. The insurance will probably pay for it, assuming you have comprehensive. However, you might want to consider NOT submitting a claim. I was talking to someone who needed a new front fairing, and some other misc. stuff totaling about 2,000 or so. According to his ins. company, his rates would have gone up a 500 dollars/yr if he made a claim. Who knows how long before they'd go back down. He's going to replace about 1000 of essential parts and deal with some of the cosmetic stuff.

Brad
-- I've got one word for you... brain damage.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/ht...icons/tard.gif
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BAMMER  
Unread
  (#4)
Addicted to farm animals

November 25, 2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your spill. Doesn't sound like the damage is too bad, though. The insurance will probably pay for it, assuming you have comprehensive. However, you might want to consider NOT submitting a claim. I was talking to someone who needed a new front fairing, and some other misc. stuff totaling about 2,000 or so. According to his ins. company, his rates would have gone up a 500 dollars/yr if he made a claim. Who knows how long before they'd go back down. He's going to replace about 1000 of essential parts and deal with some of the cosmetic stuff.

Good idea. The rates are high as hell for a sportbike any way so it would only make it go up.

Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

November 25, 2002, 09:42 AM

Don't feel too bad, my wife did the same thing a couple of weeks ago.....except she was going a little slower and had the clutch in and let it out half way through the turn.

Don't know too much about bikes and insurance, but like bammer said, your rates will most likely increase if you make a claim!! May cost you more in the long run.

'02 Yamaha R6 (RED!!)
Akrapovic Slip-on, the rest stock (for now)
'03 Kawasaki Ninja (the wifes)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

November 25, 2002, 09:55 AM

Is there any thing you can do to prevent the bike from throwing you off. I went into the turn smooth and I was accelerating smoothly the back end just lost traction and caught and then it just threw me off. If it slipped more I could of controlled it but it just flung me off..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nebulis Send a message via MSN to Nebulis  
Unread
  (#7)
Addicted to farm animals

November 25, 2002, 10:01 AM

Not really. Momentum and gravity are a biotch. Maybe take the turn slower next time :dunno: wish I could help more.

Unread
  (#8)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

November 25, 2002, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident.
It happens..and like Trick said...try to be aware..
The cold weather just isn't friendly sometimes with the road and the tires.

Do you have stock tires? They aren't that great.

I have the same bike by the way...

and welcome to the site

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

November 25, 2002, 10:16 AM

I've been reading "Proficient Motorcycling" - -they say that if your rear tire starts to slide when you're using it, that you should just stay on it hard, until you stop. This will keep it from regaining traction and throwing you on your arse. (Same technique taught by MSF course). If you could have hit that rear break when you started sliding, it might have slid more and helped you keep 'er standing? :dunno:

Much easier said than done, I know. I'd have been on the pavement for sure.

Brad
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

November 25, 2002, 10:21 AM

Yea I remember you I was with those people that you talked to on 211 with the Ducati 998 and the other ducati. I have the matt black helmet with the telefonica jacket. I also live in woodbridge. I have talked to you before. You were telling me that you got your bike stolen and that was when you pretty much just got your new bike. But anyway I have some michelin Pilots on the bike. And I was goin slow. I think it was just one of those things that I couldn't avoid. It was just so weird I have never been flung like that before.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

November 25, 2002, 10:36 AM

Sorry to hear that. I've had my tire slip on me a few times. Scary feeling!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bmiester  
Unread
  (#12)
I ride to Starbucks!

November 25, 2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
However, you might want to consider NOT submitting a claim. I was talking to someone who needed a new front fairing, and some other misc. stuff totaling about 2,000 or so. According to his ins. company, his rates would have gone up a 500 dollars/yr if he made a claim.
Very good point. Its not even the first wreck that will hurt you. But if you wreck again, they will probably drop you and then, good luck getting coverage. If the damage is cosmetic to the plastic, most of the time it can be fixed for a reasonable amount. That or you can live with it, it gives the bike character
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

November 25, 2002, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yea I remember you I was with those people that you talked to on 211 with the Ducati 998 and the other ducati. I have the matt black helmet with the telefonica jacket. I also live in woodbridge. I have talked to you before. You were telling me that you got your bike stolen and that was when you pretty much just got your new bike. But anyway I have some michelin Pilots on the bike. And I was goin slow. I think it was just one of those things that I couldn't avoid. It was just so weird I have never been flung like that before.
HEY!! Yeah. I remember you glad you found us here. You'll like everyone on here...they are all awesome
What's your first name again? I want to say John or Paul or something but i can't remember.
Anyway, how is your neck and head?

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

November 25, 2002, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Its not even the first wreck that will hurt you. But if you wreck again, they will probably drop you and then, good luck getting coverage
Funny how you pay more money for comprehensive, but then get punished when you use it. My manager at my office made one claim for hail damage to her car, and one more claim for a minor rear-end accident that was her fault. Other than that a perfect record. Still, she got the old heave-ho from the ins. company after the 2nd claim.

Brad
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

November 25, 2002, 11:06 AM

Glad to see that you remember me.. . You had it right my name is Paul. My head is ok it's pretty hard anyway's haha.. . My shoulder is fine now on but on saturday when I woke up it felt like someone hit me with a sledgehammer.. But It feels fine now. I rode in today. So my bike is ridable.. minus one right turn signal. But I don't use those anyways. But I'll tell you one thing I am glad I was wearing all of my gear. I just stood right back up and picked the bike up and was on my way. It took a while to get it started. But I think I will submit it to the insurance cause I feel that why not use it if I pay for it. And pluss I hate seeing my bike all cracked up. And plus it will only cost me $50 to get it all fixed up like it was new.