DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
3 members and 540 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
What Should I do?
Unread
  (#1)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

What Should I do? - May 19, 2009, 06:04 PM

I just had an incident on my way home from work. I was going down connecticut ave in the city, and out of nowhere, some guy going in the opposite direction whips out to try and make a left turn. I hit my airhorn(thanks Nick675) and my brakes simultaneously, and stopped without running into him, but lost my balance at the end and dropped my bike. I managed to stay up myself and did not fall. My frame sliders took the brunt of the force, but here was the extent of my damage:
- bent shifter
- scrape on my left front fairing
- bent shifter lever
- front headlight feels a bit loose. Thinking maybe the front took a little force on the fall.

I also was spilling fuel on the road as my bike was on the ground. I was able to start it up after a couple tries though. I had a witness who told me that it was probably because the bike was on it's side, but I don't know enough to know if that is true or not.

Anyways, I know others have had similar situations before, and I'm wondering what my options are? Is this his fault for whipping out in front of me? Should I go through my insurance? Or should I just try and settle it with him?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

May 19, 2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasSV View Post
I just had an incident on my way home from work. I was going down connecticut ave in the city, and out of nowhere, some guy going in the opposite direction whips out to try and make a left turn. I hit my airhorn(thanks Nick675) and my brakes simultaneously, and stopped without running into him, but lost my balance at the end and dropped my bike. I managed to stay up myself and did not fall. My frame sliders took the brunt of the force, but here was the extent of my damage:
- bent shifter
- scrape on my left front fairing
- bent shifter lever
- front headlight feels a bit loose. Thinking maybe the front took a little force on the fall.

I also was spilling fuel on the road as my bike was on the ground. I was able to start it up after a couple tries though. I had a witness who told me that it was probably because the bike was on it's side, but I don't know enough to know if that is true or not.

Anyways, I know others have had similar situations before, and I'm wondering what my options are? Is this his fault for whipping out in front of me? Should I go through my insurance? Or should I just try and settle it with him?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You won't be able to get a dime out of his insurance because he didn't hit you. It sucks, but that's the way it works.

Yes a bike on it's side (if it's carbureted) won't be happy about starting again.

The decision between out of pocket or claiming on your collision is going to be your call.

Sorry bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
Spike

May 19, 2009, 06:07 PM

Kill him

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#4)
2 wheels for life

May 19, 2009, 06:10 PM

Sorry to hear Sasan .. What Donald said .. u wont get any $ ..FI s overflow gas too when down

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GET SOME ! ! !

May 19, 2009, 06:17 PM

its only gas spilling from the over-flow tubes, no worries there...otherwise just learn from it and spend some extra cash on some upgrades for the bike, thats what i would do

pictures?

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#6)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

May 19, 2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks for your advice. It is carbed, so I guess that explains the fuel.

It's also only an 01' sv650, so I don't have full coverage on it since it's not worth it. Luckily, as I said, my frame sliders took most of the damage, so I guess I'm just going to have to fix it myself. Bullshit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijirou View Post
You won't be able to get a dime out of his insurance because he didn't hit you. It sucks, but that's the way it works.

Yes a bike on it's side (if it's carbureted) won't be happy about starting again.

The decision between out of pocket or claiming on your collision is going to be your call.

Sorry bro.
Unread
  (#7)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

May 19, 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
Sorry to hear Sasan .. What Donald said .. u wont get any $ ..FI s overflow gas too when down
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
its only gas spilling from the over-flow tubes, no worries there...otherwise just learn from it and spend some extra cash on some upgrades for the bike, thats what i would do

pictures?
Just happened, so I didn't take pics yet. I was just trying to figure out what I should do first.
Unread
  (#8)
GET SOME ! ! !

May 19, 2009, 06:28 PM

don't worry about it, it sucks, but since it is a fairly old bike I wouldn't claim it, and just visit craigslist and svrider.com to put er back together

GL

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#9)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

May 19, 2009, 06:49 PM

Yeah. Could have been worse. Good thing I put some new pads on recently.
Unread
  (#10)
do what now?

May 19, 2009, 06:59 PM

when you say "- bent shifter lever" do you mean bent clutch lever?

if you do, let me know. I got an extra one that I bought for my SV. It's yours if you need it.

Matt
'07 GSX-R750
NESBA B #13
Unread
  (#11)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

May 19, 2009, 07:11 PM

Ha, yeah. That's what I meant. I didn't review my words before posting.

If you don't need it, I'll definitely take it. Thanks for the offer. I'll shoot you a PM sometime soon, and I can arrange a time for me to drop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorfox View Post
when you say "- bent shifter lever" do you mean bent clutch lever?

if you do, let me know. I got an extra one that I bought for my SV. It's yours if you need it.