DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
3 members and 504 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

View Poll Results: Who has crashed on 211?
Yes I went down 5 6.10%
Yes I know someone that went down 31 37.80%
NO 46 56.10%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Who has crashed on 211?
Unread
  (#1)
Owner & Creator

Who has crashed on 211? - March 21, 2012, 08:31 AM

Have you crashed on 211 or know of someone that has crashed on 211?

Do you think 211 is noob friendly? I've noticed a lot of rides being led that way recently.

Last edited by Carnage; March 21, 2012 at 09:12 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Can't work my clutch!!

March 21, 2012, 08:39 AM

Does letting her tip over in the gravel parking lot on the western side of the mountain count?

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Unread
  (#3)
whoa preppy......

March 21, 2012, 08:41 AM

I did in 2000. Got jacked up.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Have you crashed on 211 or know of someone that has crashed on 211?

Do you think 211 is noob friendly? I've noticed a lot of rides being led that way recently.
I have not crashed but someone that was following me through 211 did go down. Got spooked by a SUV coming down and low-sided it. Don't know the guy personally though.

I do think that 211 is definitely noob friendly but all depends on the pace. In those situations I always think it's best for a more experienced rider to take "responsibility" for the noob. Tie the new rider to always follow the experienced rider only. They should talk about current comfort zones, abilities, fears, and how far they want to push it. Then that experienced rider will be responsible for maintaining the right speed and angles for the new rider.

In Florida I would regularly stay at the back of the pack with the newer riders and tell them to follow my path precisely when they needed to get used to either higher speeds or riding in traffic. I purposefully took the safer but slightly scary routes so they would increase their confidence little by little. I told them that if I took off without notice or I told them to stay (hand signals) to NOT follow me, then I could catch up to the group leads and communicate with them.

Another day I took off on 211 and didn't know someone was trying to follow me/keep up. When we came to a stop later the person told me that they almost shit their pants since it was their first time on 211, but loved it. If I would've known somebody was trying to keep up with me I would've brought it down a notch. I felt bad.
Unread
  (#5)
Traction Control

March 21, 2012, 09:40 AM

It's as noob friendly as any other road. Don't ride over your head. You are not Rossi. Although, I'm lorenzo's lookalike brother

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 09:46 AM

211 is NOT noob friendly!!!!!!! I've been riding that road for a very long time and a new rider isn't ready for that road. The double apexing turns can be very scary for new riders even at slow pace.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R.I.P. Vega
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

March 21, 2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1-Ryder View Post
211 is NOT noob friendly!!!!!!! I've been riding that road for a very long time and a new rider isn't ready for that road. The double apexing turns can be very scary for new riders even at slow pace.
How does 211 compare to Mt Storm or Route 33? I'm still pretty noobish (this is my 3rd year riding) and have absolutely loved those two mountains since day 1. Haven't made it to 211 yet because I've heard bad things about how aggressive the LEOs are towards sportbike riders...but maybe those are just rumors.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
How does 211 compare to Mt Storm or Route 33? I'm still pretty noobish (this is my 3rd year riding) and have absolutely loved those two mountains since day 1. Haven't made it to 211 yet because I've heard bad things about how aggressive the LEOs are towards sportbike riders...but maybe those are just rumors.
If it's in VA ... It's not rumors!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 10:07 AM

I think the "reputation" of 211 is worse than the actual road.

We took a pack of noobs up and over 211 without ever telling them that the road was the "infamous 211" that everyone crashes on. They enjoyed the ride, rode at their pace and afterwards, when informed that it was 211, they were shocked.

There's nothing wrong with 211 itself... it's those that want to use it as their personal race track that have the issues.

And no, I've never crashed up there.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
So then take a casual ride through 211, enjoy the scenery and you won't have to worry about LEOs bothering you. Scope out the track first
Unread
  (#11)
Would rather be riding

March 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

I accidently ended up on 211 my first year riding. I was solo riding down Skyline and hd planned on getting of at Thorton's gap to head home. When I got to the stop there was a big sign that said;

"caution: high motorcycle explosion area ahead".

Well eff me.

I white nuckled it down and kept it with in my comfort zone. I was fine.

I have ridden the road several times since then.

Don't be an asshat and ride with in your skills and it is not more dangerous than other roads.

Of course, you can crash ANYWHERE.

2011 BMW F800GS
2005 SV650N - Sold
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 21, 2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
I think the "reputation" of 211 is worse than the actual road.

We took a pack of noobs up and over 211 without ever telling them that the road was the "infamous 211" that everyone crashes on. They enjoyed the ride, rode at their pace and afterwards, when informed that it was 211, they were shocked.

There's nothing wrong with 211 itself... it's those that want to use it as their personal race track that have the issues.

And no, I've never crashed up there.
This. It's perfectly fine for noobs, if said noobs aren't dumbasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
So then take a casual ride through 211, enjoy the scenery and you won't have to worry about LEOs bothering you. Scope out the track first
Yep.

Don't know why people feel the need to get out there and go balls out.

Never a good idea to ride to the limit on a public road. Ride at 100%, have nothing left for the "oh shit" situations.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

March 21, 2012, 10:26 AM

I've not been on 33 or 211 but I'm itching to go soon! I've only been riding since Sept but plan on checking out both these roads, and Skyline Dr in the next few weeks. Probably do a stay over and party it up with some friends in Charlottesville or something.
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 21, 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
I've not been on 33 or 211 but I'm itching to go soon! I've only been riding since Sept but plan on checking out both these roads, and Skyline Dr in the next few weeks. Probably do a stay over and party it up with some friends in Charlottesville or something.
I try to hit it on cold days when the squids aren't out in force.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

March 21, 2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Don't know why people feel the need to get out there and go balls out.

Never a good idea to ride to the limit on a public road. Ride at 100%, have nothing left for the "oh shit" situations.
<off-topic>
I was the balls-to-the-wall type until I got a reckless in highland county while passing a couple cars (legally on dotted lines but way too fast...). Since then I've tried to straighten up and ride a lot safer/smarter (kinda glad I got the ticket in a way...expensive lesson to learn). But now I'm pretty paranoid about going anything more than 5 mph over. So I'm conflicted on turns...I like the challenge of going through the turn with a little speed, but I'm terrified of going by a cop with a hatred for bikers that will give me a ticket for 5 or 10 over the posted speed limit. Makes me want to buy a drz and stick to dirt roads....