DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 152
1 members and 151 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Crash and Rash

LinkBack Thread Tools
wrecked avoiding t-boning a car
Unread
  (#1)
Yep, it's purple

wrecked avoiding t-boning a car - July 12, 2009, 09:17 PM

Alright first off, I am alright.

Went on a group ride this morning, got lost and had my roommate tell me how to get back (long story).

So I was riding on the highway for about 90 minutes coming back from Virginia mountains. I saw the exit for route 40 and figured I'd take that road and just chill as I was tired of riding on 70 mph roads. So I was cruising at 45 mph in a 45-50 mph zone. I was following a pickup with a racecar trailer and he signaled to pull off into Greenbriar state parking parking lot on the right. I did noticed there was a Harley with a guy and his wife right behind me. So as I approach the 2nd entrance to the parking lot, see a black accord. Well, he just decided to pull out! I hit the brake trying to avoid a t-bone collision. I immediately feel the bike doing an indo (rear wheel was off the ground a good 1-2 feet. I got freaked out and let go of the brake. The rear tire lands and the bike gets all squiggly and I'm doing my best to correct it. Well, about 3 second later I go down at about 30-35 mph.

I'm sliding on the pavement along with my bike and see the Harley rider sliding right past me on the right with both of them down as well! As I look back when I am stopped, I see the black ''96-'97 black Accord special edition with aftermarket taillights going real slow - probably looking in his rearview mirror then drives off! Me and the harley rider are yelling at the witnesses to "go chase that f*ck*ng Accord down!" One witness got into their Explorer and took off after them. 30 minutes later they couldn't find it. Supposedly some people were just talking to them and they were headed to the liquor store! Most likely drunk!

So the lady is on the ground and can't move. I stumble over there and apologize to the Harley rider that I tried my best to avoid hitting that car. Both the guy and woman tell me its not my fault, but the car that pulled out and I did my best in avoiding contacting that car. My knee is scraped up bad, have some abrasions on my shin on my opposite side and some scraped skin on my obliques. The paramedics asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and I declined, I did get my knee bandaged up though. My knee is sore along with my obliques where my abrasions are at.

So after everyone is gone, the trooper asked if I needed a tow truck and told him I wasn't sure if it ran. I stood it up, took it out of gear and it cranked up. Gears shifted but the throttle cable was sticking. It doesn't spring back, but you have to pull the throttle back yourself. So I was able to get the bike home riding carefully in 3rd gear manually controlling the decline in throttle.

The bike has about $1,500 in damage. When the bike went down, it snapped off one slider and took alof of plastic fairing damage. It then went onto its other side where that frame slider did its job and protected that fairing, but scraped up the rear tail section. The footpeg on the right was snapped off, and the spool sliders on the swingarm saved that. So from my inspection it will need the following:
-left lower fairing
-left mid fairing
-upper cowl
-rear tail secion
-footpeg
-rear passenger pegs
-sliders
-turn signal
-throttle cable
-bar end

It really is scary going down while in motion, but my gear did its job. Jacket was torn up, gloves saved my hands, and my helmet didn't contact the road thankfully. The Harley rider just called me and told me an updated on him and his wife. They are just fine. He's been riding for 30 years and this is his 2nd time going down. He complimented my braking ability and thought I would regain control. I told him that was the first time I've had the bike up on one wheel, and that wasn't by choice. I made my insurance claim, so we'll see where it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg crash10.jpeg (56.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg wreck 002.jpg (465.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg wreck 008.jpg (500.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg wreck 006.jpg (464.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg wreck 003.jpg (495.8 KB, 127 views)

TPG - wreaking havoc since '07

"You only get one chance to walk on GODíS green earth so you must always make the most of it or just waste away..."

You will never be forgotten, Jeff Vega. RIP
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

July 12, 2009, 09:27 PM

so sorry this happened Kevin, sounds like you did all you could do to avoid it
Unread
  (#3)

July 12, 2009, 09:28 PM

Glad you are ok.

You are actually really lucky you have a witness (the harley) who went down with you. Cops/locals will be more inclined to actually find the douche bag accord IMO w/ 2 bikes and 3 people going down.

Good luck on the repairs.
Unread
  (#4)
TPG

July 12, 2009, 09:28 PM

oh and if you need/want help looking over/fixing/installing stuff on the bike let me know, I'd be happy to do so
Unread
  (#5)
NEWB STATUS

July 12, 2009, 09:37 PM

Glad you're fine man. Could of been alot worst. My first time going down was similar and I involuntarily did an indo as well (grabbed way too much front brake). Good thing is you didn't break a bone!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 12, 2009, 09:45 PM

glad to hear you are ok.... all that should buff right out but naw seriously I think you and the bike faired very well for the situation.....

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#7)
TPG

July 12, 2009, 09:53 PM

Sorry to hear Kevin, glad everything is just cosmetic.

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#8)
2 wheels for life

July 12, 2009, 09:56 PM

Sorry to hear .. but atleast you learned how to endo

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 12, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
Sorry to hear .. but atleast you learned how to endo

Looks like ur old...new to you plastics now... if that makes any sense maybe there is another DEEP out their that will buy his plastics to go to the cause.... sorry DEEP u know I love ya but I couldnt help it since u posted up...

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 12, 2009, 10:16 PM

Glad you're ok despite the scrapes and the damage to the bike.

Just curious, what were the Harley riders wearing? Usual Harley uniform of sleeveless Harley t-shirt and jeans with Harley boots? If we were in Connecticut, I'd ask if they also were wearing their protective head bandana since there aren't any helmet laws there.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#11)
Noob sauce

July 12, 2009, 10:31 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that happend. glad you are ok. i hope they find that douchbag.

people give alot of crap to people on bikes. but i seem to hear alot of accidents where a car is the cause and they just take off and dont look back.

WTF

heal up soon!!

I have a drink to celebrate the little things. Like Tuesdays - we only have one of those a week!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to chumchum  
Unread
  (#12)
easyrider

July 12, 2009, 10:33 PM

damn, glad your ok. seems like a lot of people have been goin down lately due to other drivers. hope you get it fixed up and back to riding soon. stay safe.
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

July 12, 2009, 11:15 PM

Hey man, glad to hear you are ok. Too bad your cbr is the gen before mine. I have take off rearsets I would give you if they would fit. I have an 06 not sure if they would fit. and also the mirrors. if you getting new fairings there is a website that have fairings that are a fraction of the oem. I put some on my cbr. Turned out pretty nice.But again glad you're ok.
Unread
  (#14)
GET SOME ! ! !

July 13, 2009, 12:09 AM

glad you are okay, but like everyone else said, it sounds like you lucked out pretty nicely...either way, I know it sucks, trust me, but you'll get it back up and lookin' new again really soon

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#15)
T.R.I.T.D.H

July 13, 2009, 12:21 AM

one of my worst fears of balling out on a open straight road is that people LOOK and in that 3 second window of them scanning to pull on your not there when they look but as soon as they pull out BOOM you in that window b/c you're moving so fast.

Lost 2 riders like that on 50 in Easton.

What may seem open is often an illusion.

heel up bud and get back on it. Plenty more summer and fall riding left plus a few days in the winter for 2009!

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."