DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
2 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
2007 Labor Day Weekend New River Gorge, WV ride!
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

2007 Labor Day Weekend New River Gorge, WV ride! - August 27, 2007, 11:12 AM

What: Weekend ride to New River Gorge Bridge in WVA. This is the longest steel-arch bridge in the world. It's also where - once per year - BASE jumpers jump from the bridge

Equally important, the area is mountainous and sparsely populated. IE: there's some crazy twisty roads out there.

When: This weekend, 9/1-9/3. We can depart Friday afternoon (so we can hit twisties fresh Saturday morning) or leave early Saturday. P

Route: The route is yet to be determined and will be flexible. It will be all backroads, no highways. We will check out the bridge, ride around Beckley and Charleston, and then start heading back. That's the general idea.

Pace: This will be a 'sport touring' ride. Some parts will be slow, other parts will be fast. We will wait up for everyone at intersections and no one will get lost, however.

We will have plenty of stops to stretch our legs, eat, and take photos, no rush - but there will be no baking in leathers at gas stations. It will be gas up and go.

So who wants to go? Post which departure works better for you...

Related links:
New River Gorge link
Bridge Day
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 11:44 AM

I am thinking of riding down there, camping, and rafting the upper Gualley.
Unread
  (#3)
06 GSXR 750

August 27, 2007, 12:12 PM

I will be down in Lexington Saturday, but would be interested in meeting up maybe sunday morning out there.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to VMIGIXXER  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

August 27, 2007, 01:10 PM

I'm really interested! I have Friday through Monday off this weekend and as long as I make it back to work on Tuesday, the more riding and twisties I hit the better in my book.

What would the lodging situation be like? I could care less but would like to know what to expect. Time to browse for some sort of luggage for the R6 now and order it in a hurry!

Charlie
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniecs
What would the lodging situation be like? I could care less but would like to know what to expect.
The plan is to find a semi cheap - but clean - motel that has air conditioning and stay there. (a lot of places down there don't have AC for some reason)
Hopefully, the place will also be close to maybe a restaurant or two, some convenience places, and a place to grab a beer or similar.
Unread
  (#6)
NW DC Rider

August 27, 2007, 02:10 PM

I was trying to get to Morgantown (visit family) at some point this weekend but didn't want to slab there... depending on route, might ride out with all of you and then break off at the bridge (or thereabouts) and take 19 to 79 up to there.

I was going to work out a solo route but would much rather ride with others (both for safety and general enjoyment )

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

August 27, 2007, 02:41 PM

Is your basic plan to take the scenic way down, spend a day in the area and take the scenic way back on the 3rd day? Also would you be in leathers the whole day?

I’m extremely flexible but just want to make sure that I know what I’m getting into and that I’m prepared. I just rechecked the schedule at work and I’m free so count me in as of now.

Charlie
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

August 27, 2007, 04:26 PM

that sounds awesome. Dunno if I can leave Friday afternoon though, night is much more probable. When you planning on being back by? I did plan on doing some work from home sometime this weekend.

Iran's supreme leader has decreed that masturbation is permissible during Ramadan as long as the act is not intentional.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

August 27, 2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniecs
Is your basic plan to take the scenic way down, spend a day in the area and take the scenic way back on the 3rd day? Also would you be in leathers the whole day?

I’m extremely flexible but just want to make sure that I know what I’m getting into and that I’m prepared. I just rechecked the schedule at work and I’m free so count me in as of now.
My goal is to take the most twisty and scenic roads I can find/research. I don't know these roads so they will probably be hit or miss, but it's a good area to ride so most will be pretty good I think. I can't deal with highway as it puts me to sleep and exhausts me like nothing else. There will be no highway if we can help it.

It will take about 1 day to get down there, 1 day to ride around, and 1 day to get back. It's not going to be super hard core mileage, but it will be decent and it will depend on how well we are progressing throughout the day.

I always wear my leathers... hopefully it won't be 100 degrees again this weekend.
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

August 27, 2007, 09:49 PM

eh, I can't make this. Other plans came up

Iran's supreme leader has decreed that masturbation is permissible during Ramadan as long as the act is not intentional.
Unread
  (#11)
1/4 liter Duc eater

August 27, 2007, 09:58 PM

great destination.
Unread
  (#12)
Will Work for Toys!

August 27, 2007, 10:05 PM

Sounds awesome! ... but I've got a commitment Saturday ...

I'll talk to Magic Rat tomorrow at TWT about possibly joining up someplace with you Sunday for the days ride...

Nesba #777

'Showtime' riders have a limited life span;

Live to Ride but Ride to Live

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

August 28, 2007, 09:47 AM

Wassup Toyman. It's been ages.

Last edited by Witold; August 28, 2007 at 09:50 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

August 28, 2007, 09:54 AM

OK, here's what I got. The ride is limited to 5 max.

Definates;
1. donniecs
Maybes;
1. scorch
2. stmaven
3. Azyre
4. armadillofz1
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

August 30, 2007, 12:40 AM

No one else wants to do this ride? WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
OK, here's what I got. The ride is limited to 5 max.

Definates;
1. donniecs
Maybes;
1. Azyrev
2. armadillofz1