DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 612
2 members and 610 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
2009 USGP Laguna
Unread
  (#1)
One and Only

2009 USGP Laguna - April 5, 2009, 01:32 PM

Alyssa and I are planning our race-vacation for the year, and thus far it looks like all AMA weekends (except NJ) are out of the question due to work schedules.

Sooo....we're looking at one of the GPs.

Our schedules are both open for both, and at this point we're leaning towards Laguna...

Holy crap this is looking pricey!

So basically, all you that have been, can you provide some insight? Where's the best place to fly into, hotels in Monterrey, rental cars or shuttles, etc?

We don't mind spending, and we're looking at the T4 Flagroom Hospitality package. But at the same time, spending $4000 dollars on his trip seems crazy. Hell, we could go to Valencia for the MotoGP final round for about $5K.

Insight?

Thanks guys.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#2)
Snow Whore

April 5, 2009, 07:22 PM

My wife and I were looking at this too. So far the best I have seen was jet blue into Oakland (I travel to San Jose a lot) and then drive down to Monterey. The flight wasn't toooo bad, but not as good as I have had flights out there on Blue in the past. Hotel is the kicker though... I have heard of people camping out, anyone ever camp out? Is it worth it?

For me, I might be able to squeaze a work trip into this to pay for my flight and the rental car, but not sure yet.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#3)
One and Only

April 5, 2009, 07:50 PM

We initially wanted to camp, since that's kind of our annual VIR thing. But we got to thinking that with the parties downtown and all the dust/sand, it may just be more enjoyable to get a hotel.

I'd hate to be completely nasty for 3 days, only to catch a flight all the way back home, and then have a 2.5hr drive to the house.

With the hotel and flight, it seems Thurs to Mon would be most logical. Action starts Friday at the track, and I can't see leaving the track after the Sunday races and trying to catch a flight.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#4)
Has an idiot exemption

April 5, 2009, 07:57 PM

Go to Europe.
For the money it is a MUCH better time.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
One and Only

April 5, 2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
Go to Europe.
For the money it is a MUCH better time.

Ya know, we've considered that. I was thinking Valencia since it's the closer, and I'm pretty competent with Spanish. But I actually admitted to her that I was a little scared of being around that ginormous event in an unfamiliar country.

Maybe Assen, Donington, or even better PI.

Talk about getting spendy....but PI would be the bombdiggity.

She would really prefer to go overseas and make a real trip out of it. I gots me a keeper!

Indy is only a 5-ish hour drive from us I think. That could be a better option, perhaps.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#6)
One and Only

April 5, 2009, 08:36 PM

Update:

Expedia just found me $1359 total for flight and hotel. Landing and staying in Monterrey. Thurs - Mon

That's not so bad.

Would we need a rental car or do they have shuttles?

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#7)
Super Moderator

April 5, 2009, 09:32 PM

The two years that I went, we flew in Thursday and flew home on Monday. Stayed in downtown monterey walking distance to the bars. Flight was cheap...like maybe $270, but the hotel was the pricey part. Pricey and hard to find. For the second year, I booked it in Septemeber...as in September, 10 months in advance. Was definitely muuuuuuch better staying in downtown Monterey and being able to walk home from the bars.

As far as paring and getting there...they had a shuttle lot. So you drive to the shuttle pick up place, park your car and get on coach buses that drop you off at Laguna Seca. Only problem is, the line to get on the bus heading back to your car was ridiculously long, so dont be in a hurry to get back to your hotel after the races.

Overall it's a damn good time. Two of my best vacations ever. Then again, we always had a big group so that always helps.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

April 5, 2009, 09:34 PM

I think my hotel in downtown monterey ran is about $300-$320 a night. No joke. And it was just a Holiday Inn Express or something. They definitely raise the prices that weekend...although I've heard they're not allowed to.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#9)
One and Only

April 5, 2009, 09:37 PM

Well....get your tickets now!

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#10)
SIN MC Event Coord

April 5, 2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Indy s only a 5-ish hour drive from us I think. That could be a better option, perhaps.
Um, where are you at? Last I recall it was taken us like 10 hours to get to Indy driving, and that was going at a decent pace.

I like Indy (i've been there for F1 races), cause you can camp out right next to the track for like 40 bucks for the weekend. Plus you can just buy tickets outside of the event, since scalping is legal...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to buckshot  
Unread
  (#11)
SIN MC President

April 5, 2009, 09:59 PM

I have 3 hospitality tickets I'm gonna have to sell (I purchased 3 to qualify for the free red parking car pass). It includes free breakfast & lunch for Sat & Sun, closed circuit TV, 3 day paddock passes, grandstand seating..the seats are on the very top row in front of the grid. Great view and you can stand on the seats without annoying anyone behind you!..and when I mean free food & drink for Sat & Sun I mean FREE all you can drink BEER & WINE!....

I figured I'd wait to post to sell them; I want to physically have them (at least a month before) prior to selling them...

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
One and Only

April 5, 2009, 10:15 PM

Oh snap dawg....

Get in touch with me when you get them. I'd only need 2 though...

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#13)
SIN MC Event Coord

April 6, 2009, 07:55 AM

how much you gonna ask for them there tickets?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to buckshot  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

April 6, 2009, 11:23 AM

You will more than likely want to rent a car for this depending on how late you want to stay out. You can use the bus transit system all weekend for free with your track credentials. They have a bus at various locations to take you to and from the track (the best way to get in and out, cuz traffic sux ass). If you camp at the track you are basically stuck there for the nite as they close the track at a certain time. You can't get out or IN for that matter if you stay out too late. All the action at nite is at Cannery Row. Make sure you visit the Mucky Duck (Please don't pick fights with midget gang leaders. Jen Holden (Jake's sister) did this last year when we were there). If you stay within walking distance of Cannery Row you may be able to go without car. Careful when you pick a hotel to make sure they have parking onsite. I know Kaneda, Luna Chris and Novarc51 stayed at a bed and breakfast. Maybe they will share the info for you.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#15)
Que se jodan!!

April 6, 2009, 12:55 PM

When I attended one of my language schools at the PoM, I lived in Monterrey...All I can say is FUCKING EXPENSIVE!! But +1 to the Mucky Duck - I lost a lot of brain cells there....good times!

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper