DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 504
2 members and 502 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Aug 12-14 Ride and Camp Weekend - Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Aug 12-14 Ride and Camp Weekend - Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway - July 21, 2011, 01:53 AM

What: A Camp And Ride Weekend For The Whole Family

When: Friday August 12 - Sunday August 14

Campsite: James River State Park

Ride:
(Friday) Warrenton > Skyline > Blue Ridge Parkway > Buena Vista > Park
(Saturday) Park > Natural Bridge > Mountain Exploring > Park
(Sunday) Park > D-Day Memorial > Home

Approximate Mileage Total: 700 miles

How: Riders ride, family cars tow all the camping gear.

I know there are a lot of people on here who have always wanted to do the ride down through Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, see what the Natural Bridge is all about and connect with the history of our country and pay tribute at the D-Day Memorial (which I just learned about and looks amazing). And there are other riders who have done this ride before and have been itching to do it again. This route is said to be one of the most fantastic scenic routes in the Eastern United States.

I'm sure there are also people here who enjoy taking the family camping and would like to get out there before summer passes them by altogether and before the kids go back to school.

So this is a combination trip to provide for all the scenic driving you can take in, go exploring somewhere new, and enjoy a weekend with the family all in one.

The Plan:
I will be packing the family far with my wife, 6yr old boy, 9yr old dog, and all the necessary camping gear. I am planning on leaving early from Warrenton area (around 9am) so I can take a chill ride down and enjoy the views and maybe get a snack but still get there around the same time as the wifey to get the campsite and tent set up (the family will obviously leave later, lucky them) and to relax and enjoy the camping experience too.

I welcome you to join me and bring your family along too. The campsite has tons of trails, 2 fishing lakes, private horses (not for rent), and the river for tubing/canoeing/kayaking (we plan on doing some tubing). If you do not have a family or they can't come along but you're still interested, then we have no problem towing your camping gear in the car as well so long as we have space. Just bring us the gear that week and we'll stuff it in there.

We're planning on getting a primitive campsite along the river (Canoe Landing Campground) and they're only $13/night. As of today there are only 4 available sites for reserve in that section so a decision to come should be made soon. However, you can technically fit up to 6 people per site and there should be enough room for 2 regular size tents so more people coming along shouldn't be a problem. There are also tons of additional campsites still available throughout other areas of the park.

Pace:
I like to get the knee down as much as many of us here, but this is more of a scenic route and I have no idea of the police presence around there so it'll be more of a chill pace that is friendly for novice riders and cruisers. However, I cannot handle a pace so slow where I have to sit behind a car going the speed limit or below for too long. I wouldn't enjoy the ride or the scenery. So assuming that the path is clear enough I will cross double yellows to get around cars in front. Not fast enough to leave everyone behind, but fast enough to get in front of the granny drivers. Basically, it'll be a moderate comfortable pace, not for noobs but not railing it either (except the necessary release here and there of course).

Alternative Dates:
For those that still want to come but can't take the day off on Friday and still need a tow of their gear, we have no problem towing your gear in our car until you get there the next day (space permitting). Or you could send the family down on Friday where they can hang with us and then you come down the next day through the Skyline route, or you could come on down on Friday night directly through US-29. I'll gladly send the route maps to anyone either way. I couldn't post them on here now cause I set them up on Google maps then saved to My Maps, little did I know that feature is useless, so I have to redo the maps again.

BTW...plan on seat time of at least 5-6 hours per day.

As people respond I will update a list of who's IN.

If you have friends or family with cruisers bring them along. So long as they can keep a moderate chill pace and are not afraid of curves or passing.

BTW, I don't have Facebook but if someone wants to share this ride through Facebook by all means. But I'm obviously not gonna be able to keep track of those people. Each person will have to make their own accommodation arrangements (whether sharing or reserving their own), but there is a group camping site that fits up to 42 people that we could move into if that many people actually wanted to come along. We'll see as this all develops.

Last edited by nootherids; July 28, 2011 at 05:12 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 21, 2011, 01:54 AM

IN:

Nootherids
McFly
David636
Larry (not on .net)

MAYBE:
x0ny
Kayaus

Last edited by nootherids; July 25, 2011 at 06:41 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

July 21, 2011, 03:25 PM

In. I'll try to get the wife and 3-year old out. We haven't camped since last Fall, so it's high time for it.

My bike is fast. My pace on curves isn't. I'm fine with passing grannies and cars, double lines, etc. Just not gonna rail it. I'll ride with ya at the start for sure though.

Last edited by McFly; July 21, 2011 at 03:33 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 21, 2011, 03:32 PM

I'm in, no family so I will be solo unless I find a set of boobs to bring.

I have to go to this Sunday morning tho.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=142991085780264
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 22, 2011, 08:50 PM

Ok, so I reserved 4 campsites right along the river for Friday and Saturday night. Payment is due no later than August 5th so everyone get your stuff ready by then. The plan is to ride in the mornings, jump in the waters in the afternoon, and enjoy the campfire in the evening.

@McFly...Don't worry about the curves man we'll likely be taking it chill most of the time except for a few spots that I'm sure David and I will open it up, but then we'll just slow down and wait so no rush. We should also have a HD cruiser coming along so no worries. You can use this ride to practice your curves. So you'll be taking off with us on Friday morning right? And are the wifey and kids gonna make it down too?

@David...I don't have Facebook so I can't see the event you posted. What is it you need to do on Sunday morning?

Anybody else interested in coming along?

We have plenty of space since each campsite first up to 6 people or about 2 tents each. So far the count is 3 + 3 + 1 + 1.
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

July 23, 2011, 12:56 AM

Put me in as a maybe. I have to request off of work.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

@x0ny...Sounds good man. Try to get the go ahead from your job this week and let us know. I'll have everyone meet up with me somewhere the week before the ride to dump all the gear into the truck.

@McFly...any confirmation from the missus yet on if they're gonna make it down too?

Some people from the VSR Meetup group might join in with us as well.
Unread
  (#8)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 25, 2011, 01:21 PM

The address for camping is... in case people want to know where it is.
751 Park Road
Gladstone, VA 24553

Sunday's Event.
Sunday, August 14 9:00am - 12:00pm

Poe's Pub
2706 E. Main Street
Richmond, Virginia

Motorcycle gathering at Poe's Pub in Richmond. Lots of bikers gather, eat some breakfast, talk some BS, then go for a ride. This is an early morning event, if you come late you will miss the fun. John Ryland of Classified Moto and his friends will be there with some of their bikes.
I'll be riding down from Woodbridge, early. It's a cool event in a cool location. Don't miss it. Public event, invite the world.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

July 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

Sounds fun.. I am a maybe in as I am trying to get the wife into camping.

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#10)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

July 26, 2011, 08:57 AM

Nootherids... my wife and son are a definite. Only thing is I've requested that Friday off and haven't heard anything back yet. If I can't get it off, I can at least leave a little early Friday afternoon and just make straight for the campgrounds, slabbing it.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 27, 2011, 06:01 AM

So David will be riding down with us and camping overnight for at least the first night. Unsure when he'll head back. Probably Saturday night.

We have 4 bikes so far and a total of 8 people families included.

I will call all the people going next week to finalize the reservations. $32 for the two nights.

@Kayaus...try to make it down brother. It'll be a good ride and the wifey won't be alone. Do you guys have some camping gear already?

@McFly...good news. But press the job to let you off on Friday since that'll be the best part of the ride. If not then you could always take BRP-Skyline on the way back on sunday as an alternative.
Unread
  (#12)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 27, 2011, 07:53 AM

I think my plan is to ride down Friday, camp and hang out Saturday, camp, get up early Sunday morning and ride to the event in Richmond, then ride home.
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 27, 2011, 08:35 AM

I'm jealous, yaa soo what!! Have a good time guys. Sounds like a relaxed and peaceful time while enjoying the outdoors. I'd be down but going out of town for 5 days on 12 Aug.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

July 27, 2011, 09:17 AM

Hey boarder... aren't you going to NC? If so you might want to take the long way and cage it through skyline. It'll take you about as long as battling traffic on I-95 anyways. If not then think about the option of going through US-29, flows very easily and with barely any traffic spots. Much more scenic ride than I-95 too. No surprise there.
Unread
  (#15)
SUPERBITCHIN'

July 27, 2011, 12:51 PM

I heard this was a trap, a fisty trap.

bump.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}