DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
0 members and 558 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Back of beyond ride
Unread
  (#1)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

Talking Back of beyond ride - March 31, 2006, 06:16 AM

For those of us out here in the back of beyond: Frederick and West. I'm a bigtime newb, having just put down my belovet 83 honda shadow 750 after several years. I'll bore you all with the story later. The point is that I have no effing IDEA what I'm doing with either this club or this tiny little bike I just bought (2005 Ninja 500R). The point is that I'm flying blind here, so any input is real, real welcome. But since I didn't get where I am by knowing what the fcuk I'm doing, here's the plan.

Right now there look to be 6 or so of us. We meet up (right now we're shooting for sunday April 9) somewhere in or near Fredrick. I'm tentatively putting out the Sheetz parking lot on 144 by Bells sports bar. From there we head out for 80 - 100 miles round trip. We come back, have a pint and go home. Routes negotiable, although LoPing has already floated the blue ridge mountains to the north.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...land+to+17214,

Thoughts?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groundhogs can play dead

March 31, 2006, 07:43 AM

Usually newbies have no experience... sounds like you do if you had an 83 750?

I know of three Frederick-dwellers, but they all ride like bats out of hell.....

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

March 31, 2006, 08:33 AM

Four to six years (time gets sorta fuzzy) on the honda. Yep. It was a 83 750 shadow. Wonderful bike, but it kept dying on me while I was riding on it. Got too expensive to keep fixing it, so I sold it to a guy who works at a machine shop who I very much has it up and running. When I went shopping, I found myself looking at essentially the same bike, so I decided to jump to the other side of the world and try a sport bike. The 500R is a economical (I don't have a ton of money for this) basic sport bike that will go faster than I am willing to, at least for now.

The deal is I can ride, but this 400 pound bike is going to feel real twitchy and weird to me for a while. I need a new skill set, and riding with others is how I get it. If the pack drops me, I find my way home and call 'em on the cell so they don't think I'm dead.
Unread
  (#4)
Unicorn Rider

March 31, 2006, 09:00 AM

If the pack leaves you then you need a new pack... the groups I ride with wait at stop signs and intersections for the back of the pack to catch up. If there is one missing, they go back looking for a fallen rider and help out. Best bet is look on here for posted rides and let them know your showing up, then enjoy the ride. I live in Frederick but ride with my friends in VA most of the time.

'15 Ducati 821 Monster
Miss my GSXR
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

March 31, 2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elendilmir
Four to six years (time gets sorta fuzzy) on the honda. Yep. It was a 83 750 shadow. Wonderful bike, but it kept dying on me while I was riding on it. Got too expensive to keep fixing it, so I sold it to a guy who works at a machine shop who I very much has it up and running. When I went shopping, I found myself looking at essentially the same bike, so I decided to jump to the other side of the world and try a sport bike. The 500R is a economical (I don't have a ton of money for this) basic sport bike that will go faster than I am willing to, at least for now.

The deal is I can ride, but this 400 pound bike is going to feel real twitchy and weird to me for a while. I need a new skill set, and riding with others is how I get it. If the pack drops me, I find my way home and call 'em on the cell so they don't think I'm dead.
Um...you're not a noob by any means...try buying a bike and when they deliver it and ask if you want to ride it into the garage...your response is, " I'd love to but I have no idea where 1st gear is!" ... now that's noob! First bike I sat on was my 04 R6...funny how that is the exact bike I ended up buying.

Sounds like you're fine, with your experience you should already know what to do. Look up some group rides if you want to learn some roads and make friends. Everyone here is pretty open until the occasional squid shows up or tries to show off and ride around all day on the back wheel.

Ride safe and good luck!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#6)
Knarly Adventurer

March 31, 2006, 12:37 PM

I'm always up for a ride... keep me posted! I would love to get to know some riders in this area. Great idea!
Unread
  (#7)

March 31, 2006, 08:39 PM

DEVIOUSR6:
You flatter me. We'll see how I do once I've got a few rides under me.
Unread
  (#8)

April 5, 2006, 10:58 AM

Looks like my paperwork for my bike is moving through the accursed banking system. Might be ready by the weekend of the 15th, right along with riding weather. Stay tuned, my hillbilly brethren. . . . .
Unread
  (#9)
RocknRone Callsign"Viper"

April 6, 2006, 08:20 PM

hell yeah elendilmir i'm up for it just let me know when and where!

All I heard was blah, blah , blah I'm a dirty tramp!
Unread
  (#10)
I am a bitch, so what?

April 6, 2006, 08:49 PM

There's better roads than that around here. Get in touch when you want to ride, we are always around.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

April 7, 2006, 02:38 PM

I got two other guys I ride with an we move at an OK clip. We also stick to the whole, If one of us wants to play on a road and take off, ride at your own pace and we'll be waiting at the next stop/turn for you, idea. We're all out of Martinsburg which is fairly close and there's some nice roads out this way to hit up. I just got a flat last weekend so I may be out of it until Next weekend, but I'll send you my cell and you can get a hold of me. The weather looks great the rest of next week so far, so we're going to probably be doing some riding then.
Unread
  (#12)
is terrified of clowns

April 8, 2006, 02:29 PM

sunday (the 9th) is supposed to be beautiful. lets go ride guys. yzf, im about 8 miles away in shepherdstown. post your cells and lets get something together for tomarrow. i have to be at work in sharpsburgh MD at 6. im a bartender so if we swing by there at 6 ill buy all you guys a round.
mike 304 582-8313

'bad news, its open season on chumps, and i just got my permit'

The Graveyard
-2001 ZX6R: SOLD
The Garage
-2002 F4i streetfighter: it wins shit
-2007 REPSOL: pure giggity
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to saki-bomb  
Unread
  (#13)
Got my Permit

April 10, 2006, 12:10 PM

Probably going this saturday and sunday. It's suppose to be nice out and I'm going to have my new tire on by then.
Unread
  (#14)

April 10, 2006, 01:34 PM

I just got my bike legal and it looks like we have us a sunday ride. If we can talk saki-bomb into it. Where and when shall we meet up, Saki-bomb?

Ray
240-675-1300
Unread
  (#15)
Got my Permit

April 10, 2006, 02:50 PM

I already sent El a PM. My and 2 others are probably meeting up Saturday and Sunday in Martinsburg WV and heading west into WV and some mountains and stuff.