DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
3 members and 573 guests
bigboy_d69, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Coast to Coast: MD to CA
Unread
  (#1)
Triumph-ant

Coast to Coast: MD to CA - May 30, 2016, 10:46 PM

Sup gents.

I've planned a coast-to-coast trip for this August and I'd greatly appreciate what y'all have to say about my planning.

The steed:
- 2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i w/ Daytona 955i motor
- 44,000 miles on the clock / 26,000miles on the engine
- Reliable minus some oil leaks
- Comes with soft saddlebags.

Budget:
- Looking to stay at $2500 or less

Sleep:
- Plan is to stay at motels spending an average of $50ish dollars a night. I've done a three-day 1,000 mile trip before and a bed is nice at the end of the day.
- That being said I'm still considering camping as it would cut down my expenses significantly. www.couchsurfing.com/ is another alternative.

Dates and Deadlines:
- School Semester starts on August 31st. At the LATEST I could be home by the 30th but that's not ideal at all
- Original plan was to ship it back but that adds the pressure of a deadline. So I'm considering riding back.

General Map, my journey through the US (Roads NOT accurate):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...8hqC2nvbRDHlvE

Itinerary, has exact route too:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=274393500

300 miles is easy for me. Most I've done is 390 some on the highway in 30 degree weather. That was miserable but still felt ok at the end.

Again I'd greatly appreciate advice you have for me.

...even a place to stay overnight haha

Picture of bike:

Track day pic!

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S

Last edited by Sal_the_man; May 31, 2016 at 10:38 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

May 30, 2016, 10:59 PM

I can put you in contact with someone who did such a ride on a budget like yours, utilizing contacts from ADV rider (ie couch surfing, minimal hotels/hostels). But you have to be ready to plan for a solid month of 300 mile days, and break downs, and tire changes, and chains/sprockets. You have to know all of your part numbers and be ready to overnight parts, stay a few extra nights when the weather doesn't cooperate. Plan your trip, and expect to take a week plus more.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

May 31, 2016, 10:19 AM

In '09 I rode from Fredericksburg to LA and back over a 3 week span. I was alone on the way over and took 10 days via the scenic route. I think I camped 7 of the 10 days and spent less than a grand getting out there. Coming back we had about 6 of us together, stayed in hotels every night, ate and drank better than when I was solo and spent twice what the first leg cost me. 300 mile days are a cake walk if you're just trying to get miles done. Someone told me to get off the east coast as fast as possible because you can see that stuff anytime. I slept in the black hills on the third night. I'll pass on some of the advice I found most helpful from that trip. 1. get you a camel pack and drink as much water as you can. Most gas stations will let you fill it with water and ice for free. 2. take a couple pair of compression shorts to wear under your gear. Your ass will thank you. 3. Pack something warmer than tshirts. Even in august it's cold in the Rockies.

A few gratuitous pics.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 31, 2016, 11:31 AM

I get wanting to take in as much as possible during a trip. When I first plan a trip I always put too much on the schedule. I then trim it down well before the trip takes place.

Your daily mileage avg doesn't leave much time for enjoying the country you'll be passing thru nor time for the unexpected. That can make the trip seem more like work than a vacation. If you were making a blast to get somewhere in a hurry that's fine, but your route doesn't seem to indicate that is your desire.

I recommend plotting your travels with at least one ZERO mile day per week ( I prefer to plan one out of 5). The key is to build in flexibility and a buffer for unexpected as well as days when you're someplace you want to take the time to enjoy where you are!

I rarely set a days route or mileage in cement. Start with a plan, then be ready to throw it out the window without stressing over it. If I get a bit behind schedule I step it up the following day. If I get ahead of the schedule that buys me more time at a later part of the trip to chill out while someplace epic. I hate finding someplace I really want to spend a half or whole day enjoying and not be able to do it because I planned too aggressively.

If what you want is to see how many miles you can blast out and places you can check off your list in X amount of time I say go for it! Just know that without a pause in the action it's all going to become a hazy blur of moving asphalt after about day 10. At the minimum I recommend planning to blast through the less interesting areas with HIGH mileage days and buying yourself more time in the epic spots.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Triumph-ant

May 31, 2016, 10:32 PM

ZX6R - That would be great if I can speak with him. Regarding bike know-how, I've gone over the bike top to bottom and can reassemble it no problem. Only thing I'm concerned about are electrical issues specifically the Regulater/Rectifier. Other than that it's going to Myers Cycle in Silver Spring for a look-over.

It's 24 days one way to California. There are a few zero-mile days to explore cities too. Yet 300 miles is no problem on the Triumph, just anticipating the varying weather.

Hockeyfan - Hey another speed triple rider! Did you find 10 days sufficient for your ride to CA? Right now it's 20 some days for me to get there and on the way back I'd designate 4 or 5 days of straight highway.

How did the Speed perform on the trip? Any mechanical issues and did you have a shop look it over? How did you strap your stuff to the rear? I'm looking at Rok Straps but my S3 does not have a rear fender.

The speedy gets 42MPH highway if rode like an old lady and 32 if you ride like ME!

Windblown - I've got a few zero-mile days to explore cities and rest. And I agree with you, the plans are susceptible to change once/if this ride begins. The ride from MN to SD will be boring as hell. Might want to spend more time in CO too

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 1, 2016, 10:31 AM

If you can swing it, do it! Never met anyone who regretted heading out across the country at least once on two wheels.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#7)
Has an idiot exemption

June 1, 2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
If you can swing it, do it! Never met anyone who regretted heading out across the country at least once on two wheels.
^
True

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#8)
I hate Hybrid drivers

June 1, 2016, 01:07 PM

In August 2009 I did a very similar trip. I wanted to go to Speed week at Bonneville so I added a bunch of stops before and after it.

I'm sure you have reasons for your route but I noticed you are close to Yellowstone but you aren't going there, it was pretty. Also you go through CO, CO is nice and Pikes Peak is cool but a little less cool now that it's paved to the top. I would take a detour into Utah. By far Utah was the prettiest place I went on my trip. So many national parks and cool shit to see.

I would get off the high way a little like take 89A (great curves) south of Flagstaff, into Sedona, and go through Jerome, continue to Prescott, and go down to Qaurtzsite, which in the summer is empty, then go south on I-95 to Yuma, my place of birth and fav. town to visit. Just outside of Yuma is the Cloud Museum, well worth a stop if you like old stuff. Johnny Cloud has great stories. My brother lives down the road from him. If you have never seen sand dunes be sure to stop at the ones just west of Yuma on I-8. It's fun but it will be hot as shit.

I spent 3 weeks on mine and it was 8,500 miles. About 360 miles a day, the last day was a 600+ mile push from northern Alabama to my house, in the rain. I spent about $2,200 in 2009 money. I stayed in crappy motels most nights, camped a little. Ate like shit too. I didn't go that far into CA, then I came home.

You can see pics and route of my trip here Ninja Explorer

Old thread from my trip Pictures from my around the country trip (Round 1)

And some more 1,882 pictures from my around the country trip

Last edited by david636; June 1, 2016 at 01:14 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

June 1, 2016, 04:51 PM

My advice would be to light your itinerary on fire and avoid any roads with more than two lanes.

Camping is a better way to meet people if that's important to you. My biggest requirement for camping is having a a chair with a backrest and coffee in the morning. Traveling in August I might not bring a tent. Just a chair and a sleeping bag w/pad or a hammock. If it looks like rain that night get a motel for the evening.

Seamless non-cotton undershorts are the way to go for umpteen hours in the saddle. Unpadded compression shorts are excellent. Bring a set of thermals for those cold mornings. Not a fan of camelbacks but I always keep a bottle of water in my tankbag.

Point your bike west and don't sweat the rest.

-Hugh

ps: take a lot of pictures.

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#10)
Triumph-ant

June 1, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
In August 2009 I did a very similar trip. I wanted to go to Speed week at Bonneville so I added a bunch of stops before and after it.

I'm sure you have reasons for your route but I noticed you are close to Yellowstone but you aren't going there, it was pretty. Also you go through CO, CO is nice and Pikes Peak is cool but a little less cool now that it's paved to the top. I would take a detour into Utah. By far Utah was the prettiest place I went on my trip. So many national parks and cool shit to see.

I would get off the high way a little like take 89A (great curves) south of Flagstaff, into Sedona, and go through Jerome, continue to Prescott, and go down to Qaurtzsite, which in the summer is empty, then go south on I-95 to Yuma, my place of birth and fav. town to visit. Just outside of Yuma is the Cloud Museum, well worth a stop if you like old stuff. Johnny Cloud has great stories. My brother lives down the road from him. If you have never seen sand dunes be sure to stop at the ones just west of Yuma on I-8. It's fun but it will be hot as shit.

I spent 3 weeks on mine and it was 8,500 miles. About 360 miles a day, the last day was a 600+ mile push from northern Alabama to my house, in the rain. I spent about $2,200 in 2009 money. I stayed in crappy motels most nights, camped a little. Ate like shit too. I didn't go that far into CA, then I came home.

You can see pics and route of my trip here Ninja Explorer

Old thread from my trip Pictures from my around the country trip (Round 1)

And some more 1,882 pictures from my around the country trip
Your trip sounds like what I've planned budget and distance wise. Thanks for the suggested sites I'll look into them.

The general map is inaccurate and only shows what cities I'll be visiting. Plan is to go through Beartooth Pass into Yellowstone National Park - where I'll be purchasing the park pass

Here's said route: https://goo.gl/maps/spDkWL4MJr42

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#11)
Triumph-ant

June 1, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
My advice would be to light your itinerary on fire and avoid any roads with more than two lanes.

Camping is a better way to meet people if that's important to you. My biggest requirement for camping is having a a chair with a backrest and coffee in the morning. Traveling in August I might not bring a tent. Just a chair and a sleeping bag w/pad or a hammock. If it looks like rain that night get a motel for the evening.

Seamless non-cotton undershorts are the way to go for umpteen hours in the saddle. Unpadded compression shorts are excellent. Bring a set of thermals for those cold mornings. Not a fan of camelbacks but I always keep a bottle of water in my tankbag.

Point your bike west and don't sweat the rest.

-Hugh

ps: take a lot of pictures.
Only reason to camp is to save money. But most likely will not use the equipment after the trip - and it's extra load to carry.

Compression shorts and camelback are on the list. Thermals already in stock.

Meh I like having an agenda so I'm not wasting time looking where to go. But yes I'm anticipating it to change once/if the trip progresses

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#12)
Mommy's Little Monster

June 2, 2016, 09:08 AM

Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel | Adventure Rider

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#13)
Older & Wiser

June 2, 2016, 08:56 PM

Good luck on your awesome trip!

I did this in 2001 on my 1995 VFR, which cruised at 120mph for hours on end along the "Loneliest Road in America".

I would definitely buy the more robust R/R for your Triumph - maybe two. (I brought one along for my VFR as well) I also scheduled a tire swap at a moto-shop in Reno (once I estimated how many miles I might be at).

From here I slabbed most of the way until I got onto Rte 50 in SW Colorado - so from DC, 875 first day, 750 the second day and 650 the third day - it can get grueling, but I was still in my 40s then .

I was in CO at the end of July and I was glad for my Gerbing jacket liner as it was 48'F one morning.

I did DC (OK, Arlington) to Sacramento in 4 days and I took 5 days to return to make it easier... 4 days was pretty tough plus I camped. The Great Basin Nat'l Park in Nevada was very cool and in Oakland CA you can camp among the eucalyptus trees at a county (Alameda) park.

Once you get to CA you may wanna check out Pashnit.com California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos if you havent already. I did Rte 299 from Redding to Arcata - it's like doing 211 crossing Skyline Drive for 200 miles or so - highly recommended!

Sounds like a great adventure!

JK

2013 KTM 690 Duke
2008 Daytona 675
1999 Supersport 900
1995 VFR750F (sold)
1985 VF700F (sold)
1970 Trident T150 (died)
1970 Tiger TR6R (died)
1965 Supersport CB160 (died)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to mr_vfr  
Unread
  (#14)
Triumph-ant

June 2, 2016, 09:52 PM

875 miles in one day DAMN! You've got quite the stamina.

This is going to sound SO lame, but how hard is it to camp? I picture myself too inconvenienced to camp after a long day of riding. BUT it seems fun and will save me lots from staying at motels.

Did you have any issues with your VFR at all? And did you service it at a shop or yourself - before the trip

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#15)
Older & Wiser

June 3, 2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_the_man View Post
875 miles in one day DAMN! You've got quite the stamina.

This is going to sound SO lame, but how hard is it to camp? I picture myself too inconvenienced to camp after a long day of riding. BUT it seems fun and will save me lots from staying at motels.

Did you have any issues with your VFR at all? And did you service it at a shop or yourself - before the trip
Ha! I no longer have that stamina! lol (Its a drag getting old

Not so hard to camp at all. I had a small dome tent - five mins for setup. Get a summer-ish sleeping bag and you're all set.

No issues w/ my VFR - its a Honda after all I had not yet replaced the R/R, but I knew it was the weakest link, too, from reading the VFR list, which is why I brought one along - just in case.

I stopped at Reno Motorsports having ordered rubber beforehand. Two hours later I was outta there and did not have to detach luggage etc.
Pretty smooth

Sounds like you're on a budget, so def camp. I made a mistake in S Illinois, I was stuck in a mosquito infested area... so it can be hit or miss, but when I went it was before social media and 'Net forums etc. You'll be fine!

Do camp at Great Basin Nat'l Park though, definite highlight - the road up the mountain rocks

Cheers!

JK

2013 KTM 690 Duke
2008 Daytona 675
1999 Supersport 900
1995 VFR750F (sold)
1985 VF700F (sold)
1970 Trident T150 (died)
1970 Tiger TR6R (died)
1965 Supersport CB160 (died)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to mr_vfr