DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 614
2 members and 612 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Deals Gap in June anyone ?
Unread
  (#1)
Grizz

Deals Gap in June anyone ? - January 24, 2011, 12:01 PM

I am considering making the trip down to Deals Gap in June ....maybe the 15th to the 19th , the R1 and R6 forums are going to be down there as well. Anyone interested in riding down . I would be leaving from Winchester VA straight down I 81 south for about 8 hours total riding ...let me know
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
easyrider

January 24, 2011, 12:23 PM

Might be interested if I get another bike by then. Had an awesome time last time I was down there. 81 sucks though, it's worth the longer drive down via some back roads. Can still be done in a day.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 12:33 PM

I would avoid the date when R1 forum is down there. It seems to be a huge group of egotists. For a while, they were batting 100% on having fatalities or very serious accidents while down there.

If you're gonna ride down there, take the back roads. If you're gonna take 81, you might as well trailer. What is the point of that... you're just wasting tires.
Unread
  (#4)
#swag

January 24, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
I would avoid the date when R1 forum is down there. It seems to be a huge group of egotists. For a while, they were batting 100% on having fatalities or very serious accidents while down there.

If you're gonna ride down there, take the back roads. If you're gonna take 81, you might as well trailer. What is the point of that... you're just wasting tires.
I was down the for the r1 forum convention in 06 and 07. 06 was a bad year with a fatality and a bad wreck. 07 there were wrecks, but I don't think any were very serious. It's a good time, but just make sure you don't ride over your head. There are many fun roads around the gap.. I don't even really enjoy riding 129. I prefer 28.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 12:47 PM

Are their conventions still as huge as they used to be? That would be the primary reason why I would avoid going down there when it is crowded. (same for other big club dates.)
Unread
  (#6)
Grizz

January 25, 2011, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the heads up , I am now considering a different date to avoid the situations discussed above ...............
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

January 25, 2011, 08:28 AM

Most of the douche nozzles that bother to go there will be planted on 129, and you can probably hook up with some good riders and go exploring the region. There are tons of good routes down there in TN, NC, SC, and GA. All you need is to find a real rider who knows the area.

Hit The Snake on your way down, if you ride, Just be mindful that TSP patrols it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
Grizz

January 28, 2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the insight , I will definitely be riding the other roads as well, probably holding off till late summer or early fall at this point to avoid some of the conventions
Unread
  (#9)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

January 28, 2011, 05:58 PM

I live about 2 hours away from hte Gap, give me a holler if u decide to come down. There are too many roads down here like OSD said. And if u decide to hit up the dragon, make sure hte days u plan to hit it up are on the weekdays and hit up the other roads on the weekend. Even if u dont hit up the dragon during the convention, it stays packed throughout the summer, especially in teh summer, it really makes it no fun at all, with all the douches out there
Unread
  (#10)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 7, 2011, 03:56 PM

I will going for sure and booked a Cabin for the R1 convention. I am not sure if I want to ride that long (most likely not). Hangout in the night around the R1 group and explore roads than the obvious ones where lot of show down happens...Don't want to deal with that.

Last edited by goa360; February 7, 2011 at 04:01 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 7, 2011, 04:58 PM

Are you staying at the cabin at the resort? Depends how far your willing to venture out. Within the vicinity you have route 28 ( as someone mentioned), foot hills parkway, and the smoky mountains. The cherohala skyway isnt far either and is a pretty fun road (about 60 miles). If you decide to do the whole thing, then u end up in tellico plains. Over there you got route 68 which takes you down to Georgia, then you hit blue ridge parkway. Thats another amazing road. Also at tellico plains you got route 315 which takes you into ocoee rt 64.

But again depends how much your willing to ride each day, gotta remember that shit will take a toll on your body if your doing 500 miles a day, so start training for it! I can send you some routes if youd like, but there like ~400 mile loops and you may end up pretty far or just use mapquest and make something up, youll find that its easy to come up with something due to all the roads. Although, i will advise that some of the roads will be dirt, so if u want to run it by my to make sure just let me know...

Ehh im getting all excited just thinking about it, less than a month left!

Last edited by Riz; February 7, 2011 at 05:01 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 7, 2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

Yes cabin@Fontana village. I don't mind 400mile loop though I need to practice as you said. I will do my research on roads though you did give some good info already. I will be rolling in on Thu by noon..ish (may start early) so I have some riding left.
Unread
  (#13)
50th anni

February 7, 2011, 06:56 PM

I've never been down to Deal's Gap, but I've heard that there are a shit load of cops and its a 30 mph speed limit. How do you guys avoid getting tickets?

...And Boom Goes the Dynamite!

cbr f3= sold
636= gone
r6= sold
cbr 1k= sold
vino 125= stolen
zuma= yutt uggh

Last edited by F3_Chimp; February 7, 2011 at 07:16 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

February 7, 2011, 08:45 PM

Every year gets worse and worse in terms of enforcement...

But you could say the area gets better and better too. First time I was down there in 2003(?) and there was so much less stuff there. Now you have more motorcycle shops and more eating options and a motorcycle hotel... all sorts of stuff.
Unread
  (#15)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

February 7, 2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3_Chimp View Post
I've never been down to Deal's Gap, but I've heard that there are a shit load of cops and its a 30 mph speed limit. How do you guys avoid getting tickets?
Usually the cops dont really try to get you...They stay put in one spot and may occasionally move to another spot. Either that or they stay at the resort...I started riding hte dragon regularly towards the end of last season (october) and thats what my experience has been so far...prolly more enforcement on the actual route during summer season tho...