DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
4 members and 584 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Maryland to Oregon and back.
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!
 
PhilTheBiker's Avatar
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: July 12, 2010
Location: Baltimore
Maryland to Oregon and back. - June 14, 2011, 11:33 AM

I'm contemplating a sprint to Oregon. Mom has cancer and is going to have an operation on July 7th. Wife wants me to fly and I'm contemplating a ride to get my mind off things.

Probably lay down 650 - 750 miles a day for 4 days and camping along the way. I'm then planning on staying for 3 - 4 weeks with family and then riding back.

July 1st would be the departure date with the goal of arriving in Oregon to watch some fireworks. I'm taking an FZ1 which I hope will give me 170 - 200 miles per tank @ 70mph.

Who's in?


08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation
 
RileysDad's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,976
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Rockville, MD
June 14, 2011, 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your mother. I would love to since I'm from Springfield, but I can't take that much time off work right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student
 
andress's Avatar
 
Posts: 90
Join Date: June 5, 2010
Location: gold spring
June 14, 2011, 11:54 AM

the fz1 wont go over 160m per tank... i went fron dc to chile, in my fz1 last year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!
 
PhilTheBiker's Avatar
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: July 12, 2010
Location: Baltimore
June 14, 2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGetCaught View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother. I would love to since I'm from Springfield, but I can't take that much time off work right now.
Yeah, that's kinda the problem. If a few people got together you guys could ride back without me or find another route to take to get home.


08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
RIP Jeff Vega
 
Speed3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: January 4, 2004
Location: Fredneck
June 14, 2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheBiker View Post
I'm contemplating a sprint to Oregon. Mom has cancer and is going to have an operation on July 7th. Wife wants me to fly and I'm contemplating a ride to get my mind off things.

Probably lay down 650 - 750 miles a day for 4 days and camping along the way. I'm then planning on staying for 3 - 4 weeks with family and then riding back.

July 1st would be the departure date with the goal of arriving in Oregon to watch some fireworks. I'm taking an FZ1 which I hope will give me 170 - 200 miles per tank @ 70mph.

Who's in?
If you rode backroads and made it worth it, possibly the mode of transportation I would use. But slab the entire way there for 750 miles is not fun at all. I would rather ride in the back of a pick up truck for the trip, at least I could sleep.

Reason for the trip sucks...but might as well make the best of it.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!
 
PhilTheBiker's Avatar
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: July 12, 2010
Location: Baltimore
June 14, 2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
If you rode backroads and made it worth it, possibly the mode of transportation I would use. But slab the entire way there for 750 miles is not fun at all. I would rather ride in the back of a pick up truck for the trip, at least I could sleep.

Reason for the trip sucks...but might as well make the best of it.
yeah, I might take 5 days or I might fly.. I donno.. I kinda figured once I was in Oregon I could take a few hours here and there to ride since my brother will be around to help me.


08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Custom User Title
 
MrDan's Avatar
 
Posts: 723
Join Date: June 21, 2007
Location: Fairfax
June 14, 2011, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear about the cancer - hope the surgery is successful.

Make sure your head's in the right frame for that kind of ride. In a similar situation, I ended up high siding because my brain was focusing on what was going on instead of the road ahead of me.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MrDan  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Nova_gts's Avatar
 
Posts: 665
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Lake Ridge
June 16, 2011, 07:30 PM

IF I got there, I know as soon as I did, I'd be selling my bike and buying a ticket home.
Good luck


2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
June 16, 2011, 07:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom bro, but you might have more fun alone clearing your mind. Honestly, unless I know someone really well I wouldn't want them coming along on such a long ride with me.


2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer
 
slow231's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,052
Join Date: August 16, 2008
Location: Beltsville
June 17, 2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
If you rode backroads and made it worth it, possibly the mode of transportation I would use. But slab the entire way there for 750 miles is not fun at all. I would rather ride in the back of a pick up truck for the trip, at least I could sleep.

Reason for the trip sucks...but might as well make the best of it.
this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDan View Post
Sorry to hear about the cancer - hope the surgery is successful.

Make sure your head's in the right frame for that kind of ride. In a similar situation, I ended up high siding because my brain was focusing on what was going on instead of the road ahead of me.
and this.

i'm with you on the clearing your head thing, but 4 days of slab or even just riding in general while trying to make a deadline, may end up being a burden.

good luck with the surgery and trip either way.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers
 
david636's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,780
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
June 17, 2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheBiker View Post

July 1st

Who's in?
I'm leaving July 1st for Colorado. I can only go 150 miles or so per tank tho. I'm camping as well with plans to get to CO in time for fireworks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!
 
PhilTheBiker's Avatar
 
Posts: 541
Join Date: July 12, 2010
Location: Baltimore
June 20, 2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I'm leaving July 1st for Colorado. I can only go 150 miles or so per tank tho. I'm camping as well with plans to get to CO in time for fireworks.
I was actually able to get a round trip flight for $330 using a friends buddy pass (Was looking at flights that where $700+ round trip . That will probably be better than slabbing it.

Wife and I are going to take a ride up to Niagara Falls on July 1 then go around Lake Ontario on the Canadian side then come back down to Maryland via back roads through NY and PA. Flight will leave July 5th.


08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
RIP Jeff Vega
 
Speed3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: January 4, 2004
Location: Fredneck
June 20, 2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheBiker View Post
I was actually able to get a round trip flight for $330 using a friends buddy pass (Was looking at flights that where $700+ round trip . That will probably be better than slabbing it.

Wife and I are going to take a ride up to Niagara Falls on July 1 then go around Lake Ontario on the Canadian side then come back down to Maryland via back roads through NY and PA. Flight will leave July 5th.
If you come back through the Adirondaks or Catskills, I can give you some nice roads in the area.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
poz top looking 4 neg bot
 
Slow's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,620
Join Date: April 18, 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
June 20, 2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDan View Post
Sorry to hear about the cancer - hope the surgery is successful.

Make sure your head's in the right frame for that kind of ride. In a similar situation, I ended up high siding because my brain was focusing on what was going on instead of the road ahead of me.
+1

Came here to post this.


horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
just some dude
 
novasquid's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,415
Join Date: September 29, 2002
Location: manassas city
June 20, 2011, 02:53 PM

sorry to hear about your mom. i just did a round trip to phoenix and back last week on my gen2 fz1, 4 days there and 5 days back. 700 miles day after day can be brutal, but definitely doable. from here to oregon in 4 days might be a stretch though. i'm definitely in if you plan another long xc trip, preferably when it's for a happier reason.


2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.