DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 488
2 members and 486 guests
2blueyam, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mount Washington Trip...6/18-/6/20
Unread
  (#1)
RIP Jeff Vega

Mount Washington Trip...6/18-/6/20 - June 9, 2009, 08:45 AM

So I have some time off from work and decided to go see Mt Washington for the first time.

Plan is to leave before sunrise Thursday 6/18 and ride to New Hampshire, grab a hotel near there and wake up early to see the summit before the tourist get there. It's 600 miles of back roadsthe first day. This is going to be a long day...probably 14 hours in the saddle

Second day leave NH and ride to Rochester NY(maybe hit up Niagra Falls if anyone interested) 478 miles of back roads. See a friend of mine Friday evening and party.

3rd day..head home in time for Fathers day on Sunday. 357 miles of backroads.

Total mileage roughly 1,500 in 3 days.

Estimated gas cost = $230

Hotel probably 2 mights at $80/night. Can split rooms to save money

Food = $120 total or $40/day. Could do cheaper if need be.

So who's up for it....

Anyone have specific roads that I should hit?

Last edited by Speed3; June 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

June 9, 2009, 08:50 AM

YES! Hit the Kangamangus Highway outside of North Conway, NH. North Conway is the major town near Mount Washington. If you stay in North Conway you MUST go to Bellinis. Best italian food EVAH!

I spent every summer in the north Conway area when i was a kid. That area is my second home and my dad actually has a summer house abotu 20 minutes from north Conway. If you have any desire to see some waterfalls when you;re up there, I can suggest a few too. Just let me know.

Too bad you're not going around Fourth of July...4 of us from the board are heading up there for 4 days.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

June 9, 2009, 08:53 AM

Oh and if you have time, go ride the Alpine Slide at Attitash...which is in Bartlett which is 1/3 of the way to Mount Washington from north Conway.

http://attitash.com/alpineslide.html

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

June 9, 2009, 11:47 AM

This would have been an awesome ride on a three-day weekend !
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

June 9, 2009, 11:54 AM

This is a RIDE.

Riding to DC (GTown and Adams Morgan) is child's play.

Too bad I can't go. Damn.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#6)
RIP Jeff Vega

June 9, 2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers View Post
YES! Hit the Kangamangus Highway outside of North Conway, NH. North Conway is the major town near Mount Washington. If you stay in North Conway you MUST go to Bellinis. Best italian food EVAH!

I spent every summer in the north Conway area when i was a kid. That area is my second home and my dad actually has a summer house abotu 20 minutes from north Conway. If you have any desire to see some waterfalls when you;re up there, I can suggest a few too. Just let me know.

Too bad you're not going around Fourth of July...4 of us from the board are heading up there for 4 days.
Whateverfalls would be nice. I'm open to anything in that area. Adirondaks are something I've been looking into riding also.

Do you think it's doable to do the 600 miles in a day on backroads? I don't know what the terrain is but averaging 52mph on the backroads, should take me 12hrs solid riding or 14 hours or so with stops for only gas(giving 25 mins for eash stop).

What is the weather going to be like up there? Cold I'm sure...
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 9, 2009, 12:34 PM

I might be in, depending on how you go up there. There's not many decent back roads between here and there.

600 miles in a day on backroads is optimistic. You definately have to start early, and not make any stops for anything. 500 miles is more realistic.

Mt Washington is known for erratic weather, but it's only 6K feet and you can drive to the top if you want. Also, from Wikipedia, "Another event, although not a race, is the annual MINIs On Top event. The drive to the summit began with 73 MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles and now exceeds 200 cars. MINIs On Top (or MOT) is held the Saturday of Father's Day weekend every June. " This is the same weekend you're going...

How about hitting up Niagra Falls only? You might be able to get a better route together via central PA and upstate NY...
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

June 9, 2009, 12:52 PM

Here's a suggestion: make it a 4 day ride around any weekend hitting all the spots mentioned in the first post which means passport's a must

Weedend after next is too close to plan such a long ride.
Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

June 9, 2009, 01:05 PM

600 miles in a day!! That'd be crazy! But fun. Wish my bike was fixed this looks like a lotta fun. Heard New Hampshire is a cool state.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

June 9, 2009, 01:11 PM

Dang, I'd be all over this if it weren't the same week I return from Deals Gap. My tires will be shot, and I'll be exhausted.

FYI: Stan does something like 680 miles the first day on the Deal's Gap trip from Front Royal down to Knoxville. You have to start at the crack of dawn and keep the stops pretty short and infrequent. You also need your point man to run radar detection.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

June 9, 2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
Whateverfalls would be nice. I'm open to anything in that area. Adirondaks are something I've been looking into riding also.

Do you think it's doable to do the 600 miles in a day on backroads? I don't know what the terrain is but averaging 52mph on the backroads, should take me 12hrs solid riding or 14 hours or so with stops for only gas(giving 25 mins for eash stop).

What is the weather going to be like up there? Cold I'm sure...
Hmmm good question. I've never driven from here...I always fly But I know it's like 4.5 to NYC and then 6 from NYC to North Conway...that's slabbin it. I think I'd split it up but that's just because I know i couldnt sit on a bike for 12 hours.

It's not cold up there during the day. Little cooler than here 75-80 during the day but it drops down to the 50s at night.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

Unread
  (#12)
RIP Jeff Vega

June 9, 2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
I might be in, depending on how you go up there. There's not many decent back roads between here and there.

600 miles in a day on backroads is optimistic. You definately have to start early, and not make any stops for anything. 500 miles is more realistic.

Mt Washington is known for erratic weather, but it's only 6K feet and you can drive to the top if you want. Also, from Wikipedia, "Another event, although not a race, is the annual MINIs On Top event. The drive to the summit began with 73 MINI Cooper and Cooper S vehicles and now exceeds 200 cars. MINIs On Top (or MOT) is held the Saturday of Father's Day weekend every June. " This is the same weekend you're going...

How about hitting up Niagra Falls only? You might be able to get a better route together via central PA and upstate NY...
600 miles is doable...I hate highway so that just means running 55+mph on average on the back roads. I know that is hard to keep but we averaged 52mph over 3 days on Stan's WV ride with 8 people. With a much smaller group I think mid 50's is doable. BTW...I don't really fauk around on the stops either. Grab some beef jerkry, gas, piss and we are off. It's certainly going to be 13+ hours on the bike for the first day but the next 2 will be easier. Pace will be moderate and if I feel we are falling behind, could tend to get faster.

I plan to be on Mt Washington and gone by Friday 10am and off to Rochester NY but thanks for the heads-up. I might just put a hotel into my garmin, hit aviod backroads, and let it take me there. I'm a little leary of the weather in the morning on Mt Washington, I guess dress in layers and bring hand warmers LOL.

I've been to the falls before but not on the bike. I'm OK checking them out for an hour or so but once you've seen it, there isn't much else to see.
Unread
  (#13)
RIP Jeff Vega

June 9, 2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAS View Post
Here's a suggestion: make it a 4 day ride around any weekend hitting all the spots mentioned in the first post which means passport's a must

Weedend after next is too close to plan such a long ride.
I was orginally planning to make this a week long ride to Newfoundland but realized that I have a final that week and can't miss it. So this is a condensed version.

I have more time off the rest of the summer so I might do something else also.