DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 742
2 members and 740 guests
2blueyam, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
MTB Trip - 3/1 - POSTPONED
Unread
  (#1)
One and Only

MTB Trip - 3/1 - POSTPONED - February 13, 2009, 09:53 PM

POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER.

We'll try again soon.

I guess I'll take the lead on planning a day trip...

Gambrill State Park, near Frederick, MD.

Sunday, March 1st....10:00AM.

From Frederick, hop on 40W (not ALT40). Easiest way is from the Golden Mile. Head west. 40 kind of automatically turns into the on-ramp for I-70W, but the right lane remains 40. You'll go few miles, and signs will be on the right side. There is a lodge (Deer Park, maybe?) on the right side where the road is. After turning on the road, continue a mile or so up the hill. There is a gated entrance area on the left before you climb the hill...ignore it. There will be an obvious parking lot on the right side...stop there.

Those directions should be pretty easy to follow. Make sure to hop onto 70W off of 270, and the exits for 40 (again, not ALT40) will be in a couple miles.

Chances are we'll be riding the yellow loop. It's the longest/easiest in the park at about 7 miles, I believe. A bunch of friends of mine rode there yesterday and said it was great conditions. They'll be there again this sunday so I'll get more updates.

Pace will vary depending on who shows. If you're slow, don't worry, nobody's racing. This is a fun ride.

I expect roughly 3-4 hours of ride time.

We may add/subtract mileage depending on how everyone's feeling.

Everyone please bring $3 to drop in the box. Please, it help keep the trails in good condition.

Afterwards we'll have plenty of beer, and maybe some grillin'. Or, we could head into Frederick for lunch.

I've ridden most of the trail, and it should be rideable for everyone. Rigids and SingleSpeeds welcome.

Post up if you're in.

Right up the 1 hole.

Last edited by Cloaca; February 27, 2009 at 01:21 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#2)
I am a bitch, so what?

February 13, 2009, 10:24 PM

Can I bring a horse instead of a bike?

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#3)
One and Only

February 13, 2009, 10:24 PM

Sure! Just ride behind us, please.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#4)
Street Bonk Bum.....

February 13, 2009, 10:25 PM

probably in

CCS AM # 204
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
I am a bitch, so what?

February 13, 2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Sure! Just ride behind us, please.
HAHAHAHA No worries. We do a 7.1 mile trail in alittle over an hour. Doing it in 3-4 hours would kill me.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

February 13, 2009, 10:32 PM

Man, at 73 miles that's a loooong way to drive to ride a bike. Then again I've done it for a trackday...

Tentatively in - I'll let you know by next week.
Unread
  (#7)
One and Only

February 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil View Post
HAHAHAHA No worries. We do a 7.1 mile trail in alittle over an hour. Doing it in 3-4 hours would kill me.

Individually...that's an easy hour. But with a group it tends to slow down. Chatting, playing with different sections, etc.

That would be really cool if you brought a freakin' horse out!

I know it's not the closest place for some people, but it's pretty easily accessible. And besides...I'm planning it. Just as far for me.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#8)
I am a bitch, so what?

February 13, 2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Individually...that's an easy hour. But with a group it tends to slow down. Chatting, playing with different sections, etc.

That would be really cool if you brought a freakin' horse out!

I know it's not the closest place for some people, but it's pretty easily accessible. And besides...I'm planning it. Just as far for me.
It's my in backyard. Unfortunately I'm moving the horses that weekend. We share alot of the same trails, so I'll bring them out next time.

Have you tried Catoctin? Or Green Ridge, isn't that close to you?

Unread
  (#9)
One and Only

February 13, 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil View Post
It's my in backyard. Unfortunately I'm moving the horses that weekend. We share alot of the same trails, so I'll bring them out next time.

Have you tried Catoctin? Or Green Ridge, isn't that close to you?

Haven't tried catoctin, since it's so far away. Gambrill/Shed and Greenbrier are about as far as I can reasonably get these days.

Haven't done Green Ridge yet. I can get pretty sloppy out there this time of year, so I'm waiting until things dry out a bit more. Kinda sucks, though. It's just a single 12mile loop, with 1/2 of it being hard climbing. For my current training, that's a 1-day per week ride, at best.

I do have big plans for Green Ridge this summer. We're looking to work with park to expand marked "official" mtb areas. There's tons and tons of trails out there, we just need to get them official and connect/map accordingly.

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 13, 2009, 11:30 PM

Im there!
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

February 14, 2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Haha, I forgot that Cumberland was that far out there. I wasn't bitching, just explaining my indecisiveness...or something like that.
Unread
  (#12)
One and Only

February 14, 2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Im there!

Sweet!

Who else?

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

February 14, 2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Haven't tried catoctin, since it's so far away. Gambrill/Shed and Greenbrier are about as far as I can reasonably get these days.

Haven't done Green Ridge yet. I can get pretty sloppy out there this time of year, so I'm waiting until things dry out a bit more. Kinda sucks, though. It's just a single 12mile loop, with 1/2 of it being hard climbing. For my current training, that's a 1-day per week ride, at best.

I do have big plans for Green Ridge this summer. We're looking to work with park to expand marked "official" mtb areas. There's tons and tons of trails out there, we just need to get them official and connect/map accordingly.

There are trails that connect South Mountain, Gambrill, the Shed, Cunningham Falls and Catoctin. That's of course if you want to ride all day and then some. But the horse is only allowed in Gambrill, the Shed and Catoctin legally.
I've been to Green Ridge but only on the ATV. I hear the ORV trails are closed to motorized vehicles right now due to downed trees. It's the 18 mile loop that would be easy for bikers (my quess at least). I haven't taken the horse to Green Ridge yet. Would love to do some of the trails there though.

Unread
  (#14)
Contributes nothing

February 14, 2009, 10:38 PM

very possible, just need to get some pedals and shoes again, toe clips suck ass...also worried I haven't ridden in so long I'd die, but thats a chance I can take

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

February 14, 2009, 11:07 PM

Count me in on this and I might bring 2 more. I haven't ridden in awhile since I've been on crutches for the past 3 months.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

R.I.P. Vega