DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
2 members and 549 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
NE Moto trip late May
Unread
  (#1)
RIP Jeff Vega

NE Moto trip late May - January 21, 2011, 12:23 PM

I'm planning on doing a ride from Central Maryland, into Montreal and down along the coast back to Maryland. Departure time will be the week before Memorial Day and should last about a week's time.

I know that I want to hit the Adirondaks park and found a couple other roads that seem to be interesting in NY;

Essex CR6
Tracy Rd
CR24
Adirondak Park
Whifeface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway
Rt73 in New York near Lake Placid.

After heading up through NY I plan a stop over in Montreal. From there come down through into Vermont through New Hampshire to Mt Washington. I planned to sleep here and hit Mt Washington early to aviod tourist traffic. Stop over into Portland ME for lunch (Lobster of course). and then move on.

Roads to ride in New Hamphire;

Mount Washington Rd
Hurricane Mountain
Bear Notch
Kancamagus Highway
Rt302 through Crawford Pass

Roads to ride in Vermont;

Appalicaian Gap
Smuggler Notch

Roads to ride in Maine.

Rt 113 and Rt 27 through White Mountains National Park

I was then planning on coming down through Mass, RI, Conneticut, NY (maybe to see ground zero) and then home. This is a weak section of roads for me, any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for any suggestions, espically relating to weather at this time and good riding roads. I will be on a road bike only (FJR) and love the twisties.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is a route I put together...for those that know they area, does this make sense?

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

January 21, 2011, 01:33 PM

That seems like a good plan. Not sure if that is a good time to hit Mt Washington weather-wise.

The only thing I would suggest is checking out one of those 'best sportbike roads' websites that have all the best sections of roads mapped for each state...
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 23, 2011, 12:45 AM

If planning for late May I may want to join you on a ride like this. FYI though, I know the map looks like it has a lot of twisties but when you apply the scale of the map the twisties are more like normal curves. Either way, I'd love the chance to go on a ride like this so long as we actually get to make stops and enjoy the locations doing some touristy stuff too.

I have a buddy of mine that likes these rides too and has been thinking about doing some of the IronButt challenges but the problem with those is that you're forced to just drive straight without stopping anywhere to enjoy the locations. So you rake in the miles and the road scenery but not the experience of each spot. He might even want to join us if it's around May, and he would come from Minneapolis, MN. Yeah, he's mileage obsessed.

BTW, the pic you showed didn't fit the distance and time of the route. What's that looking like?
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

January 23, 2011, 07:34 PM

delete
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 08:20 AM

As Witold pointed out, weather might be a factor. My step-mom's from Saranac Lake and she said they often still had snow into May.

I'll have to go back and look at how we came back south through NY and PA from our Nova Scotia trip. We went through the Delaware Water Gap going north. It's worth it to give you a much better impression of NJ!

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

If for whatever reason you end up slabbing it back, try to avoid 95 between NY and MD at all costs. The tolls are ridiculous, the pavement sucks and the drivers are crazy!

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#6)
RIP Jeff Vega

January 24, 2011, 10:18 AM

The route has changed drastically since posting this. I'm heading up through PA to the Grand Canyon of PA, over and over to the Adirondaks. From there up and through all of the really good roads in the Adirondaks, stopping at the Olympic training facility with hopes to see some jumpers (yes they do it in the summer also). Over Lake Placid and to Mt Washington.

I'm planning the route on Mapsource, this is entirely too time consuming. I probably have as much time planning the route for the first 2 days as it will take riding the 900 miles!!

Fun times....weather isn't too much of a concern as we have heated gear.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 10:35 AM

At that Olympic facility, they will take you on a bobsled ride if you want. It ain't cheap, but it seems like it would be worth it.
Unread
  (#8)
Goodpeopledrinkgoodbeer

January 24, 2011, 11:29 AM

At Lake George NY get off the northway and take rt. 9n up to Tracy rd. it's a good ride.

NY-9N N/US-9 N/Canada St to US-9 S - Google Maps

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens - Curly Stooge

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
The route has changed drastically since posting this. I'm heading up through PA to the Grand Canyon of PA, over and over to the Adirondaks. From there up and through all of the really good roads in the Adirondaks, stopping at the Olympic training facility with hopes to see some jumpers (yes they do it in the summer also). Over Lake Placid and to Mt Washington.

I'm planning the route on Mapsource, this is entirely too time consuming. I probably have as much time planning the route for the first 2 days as it will take riding the 900 miles!!

Fun times....weather isn't too much of a concern as we have heated gear.
My previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
If planning for late May I may want to join you on a ride like this. FYI though, I know the map looks like it has a lot of twisties but when you apply the scale of the map the twisties are more like normal curves. Either way, I'd love the chance to go on a ride like this so long as we actually get to make stops and enjoy the locations doing some touristy stuff too.

I have a buddy of mine that likes these rides too and has been thinking about doing some of the IronButt challenges but the problem with those is that you're forced to just drive straight without stopping anywhere to enjoy the locations. So you rake in the miles and the road scenery but not the experience of each spot. He might even want to join us if it's around May, and he would come from Minneapolis, MN. Yeah, he's mileage obsessed.

BTW, the pic you showed didn't fit the distance and time of the route. What's that looking like?
And I was wondering if this ride your planning is open for others to join or if it's a private run?

If it's open for others to join, what's the mileage and riding time looking like?
Unread
  (#10)
RIP Jeff Vega

January 24, 2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebago View Post
At Lake George NY get off the northway and take rt. 9n up to Tracy rd. it's a good ride.

NY-9N N/US-9 N/Canada St to US-9 S - Google Maps

This is part of the route already...as well as cr2 and cr4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
My previous post...

And I was wondering if this ride your planning is open for others to join or if it's a private run?

If it's open for others to join, what's the mileage and riding time looking like?
As of right now there are 2 people going. I would like to keep it to a small group for ease or travel. We will be close to 400 miles a day and should be over 2k miles door to door.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

January 24, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
As of right now there are 2 people going. I would like to keep it to a small group for ease or travel. We will be close to 400 miles a day and should be over 2k miles door to door.
Gotcha!

Well if you decide to open it up let me know. If not I'd like to ask for a favor... Would you mind sharing the route and how it was after you're done so maybe I could re-trace it on my own trip later? I'm new to the area and not familiar with the roads and spots at all so some ideas/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Unread
  (#12)
Goodpeopledrinkgoodbeer

January 25, 2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
This is part of the route already...as well as cr2 and cr4

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens - Curly Stooge

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#13)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 19, 2011, 09:19 AM

Ok...so the routes planned, weather looks OK I guess. Mt Washington will be the coldest (as expected, High of 42 the day we plan to be there). We are leaving Saturday and will alter the route if the rain plays a factor.

Should be fun...I'm debating taking my Dslr with my 70-200 as it takes up my entire top case (with other lens also). We shall see...
Unread
  (#14)
Do It Like This

May 19, 2011, 11:00 AM

YYYoooooooo B................... Whats up man???? Been a minute but I am getting out here and there again........
Work has been crazy for the last year or so........(after the METRO Accident)......

Good luck with the ride.........holla at cha