DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
2 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
New Bike Week Location?
Unread
  (#1)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

New Bike Week Location? - March 25, 2011, 01:50 AM

This probably isn't in the right forum since it's not official, I don't even know if it would be worth the effort, and if the planets aligned its still a year off, but I've been toying with this idea for a while now.

Everyone heads to Daytona and Myrtle Beach for bike week it seems. This is cool and all, you're at the beach and there's the tradition and craziness too. The roads in these places suck though.

Why not spread the word (like degrees of separation style) and have something in a place with better riding? I'd use Blacksburg as an example just because I know the area, but here are my thoughts.

We have some pretty awesome roads down here, the Snake is about 4 hours away and the Dragon is only 5. Not to mention all the other awesome unnamed roads around those areas and all through Blacksburg and up to Harrisonburg along the mountains. BRP. Blacksburg has plenty of accommodations for large numbers of people and Roanoke isn't too far away either. Christiansburg is much smaller but still supports Radford, so with two colleges in such proximity you can fit a ton of people. The location puts it nearly in the middle of the east coast so it's much closer to ride to from the north than trailering all the way to Daytona.

All the bars and 'clubs' in the area are pretty well established from being in a college town with almost nothing else to do but drink. We've had some big guys in dubstep play at an up-and-coming venue down here that's really making a name for itself. Wiz Khalifa is playing there in next week. Grab some big names and you have a really nice small-ish club. People could be deterred as you don't have the beach and stuff, but some go to bike week for the social aspect, why not forgo a little of that for more riding?

The biggest thing I can see going for this is connecting it somehow to the Hogs4Hokies event, a charity ride set up for the victims of the 4/16 shooting. This has widespread coverage and many riders know about it. I just feel that around April 30th (the date for the ride this year) is too late for a strong showing for a 'bike week' (btw you guys should all come down on that, they're starting in Manassas I believe)

Here are the biggest problems I can see turning up:

1. Weather. Blacksburg sucks. We had 70-80 degree days last week and this week its in the high 40's low 50's. Inconsistency can turn a lot of people away planning ahead, and I understand this.

2. No tradition or established event. This is how it starts though, a few people get together then more and more keep going. The motorcycle club here is developing great relationships with a few of the shops down here, allowing us to lead demo rides and really get the name out there. As more people get involved, more attention is given and big things can happen

3. Not a destination location. Yeah, we're in the middle of nowhere, but the roads that surround us are more than worth the trip out, at least to people who want to ride.

If you're still reading this, just post up some problems you see with this or if you think it is something worth pursuing. I'm sure people have tried this in the past, but I think with the right networking this could start something if people wanted to do it. Then again, this is my ideal bike week, and I like some weird ass music that no one else does, so I'll understand if this is retarded

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2011, 02:14 AM

i dunno i like them at the beach.....half naked chicks, lots to do, good nightlife..Ocean city is closest place i can think of and they already have their own bike week, granted its 95% harleys. atlantic city could make for a good place for a bike week/end. spreading the word and getting sponsors is the most difficult part.

having it at a beach area will draw more crowd msot likely since many just want to party. (myself included)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

March 25, 2011, 02:21 AM

I see the weather as the biggest drawback IMO. Going to Daytona or Mrytle the weather is pretty consistent s far as temps go. Lot's of people don't want to ride in 40 degree weather. not to mention with the other 2 I just need to pack rain gear. Blacksburg I need to pack rain, cold, and warm weather gear just in case. However you could get around that by having it during the summer instead of the spring. So people could skip Daytona or Mrytle knowing the Blacksburg event is XX months away anyway.

Just my random thoughts on the subject. Good luck. I'm always for more bike related social events around this area.

On the plus side it's MUCH closer... to me at least.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#4)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 25, 2011, 10:14 AM

Yea that makes sense. I like that summer idea

I need to carve away all of east VA and bring the ocean to the mountains haha, it definitely seems to be a big crowd puller. Getting away from the 95% Harley's is another goal, I didn't go to bike week this year but spent a few days in Orlando during it and saw maybe 20 sportbikes to hundreds of Harleys

Unread
  (#5)
Qualify or Quit

March 25, 2011, 11:16 AM

Im just chasin the ass. Simple supply and demand. If you build it, they will come....better stated if you bring it (women) they will come.

-Not intended to be a factual statements.

I can't pull over......I forgot which ones the brake.

"I though that life was a bad bitch bad car,
Life is with your kids watching madagascar"
-Clipse
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2011, 02:05 PM

^^ exactly.

You could maybe do something in OC and combine a sport bike week/end with the OC Car and Truck show that happens every june. Thats more of the crowd that is into sportbikes and there are tonnnsssssss of easy women there then too (senior beach week, fresh 18 yr olds)
Unread
  (#7)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 25, 2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurazy kracka View Post
^^ exactly.

You could maybe do something in OC and combine a sport bike week/end with the OC Car and Truck show that happens every june. Thats more of the crowd that is into sportbikes and there are tonnnsssssss of easy women there then too (senior beach week, fresh 18 yr olds)
I see what you're saying, hmm

Still plenty of time to figure something out, I'll start talking around here and see what the club thinks

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

March 25, 2011, 04:29 PM

Could someone please condense this thread to layman's terms for a new guy?

What is this thread about? A ride to where/when?

I think this is about long distance rides, if so, is Sturgis an option?
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 25, 2011, 05:43 PM

The Beach gatherings are never about the ride. Mountain gatherings are (almost) always about the ride. There are a ton of them, they just don't draw the same type of crowd or total numbers. This is a good thing! Riding pristine mountain roads bumper to bumper would suck. If it sucks why be there when you can be at the beach?

Guess what I'm saying is the locations of these events makes perfect sense as is.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 25, 2011, 06:09 PM

Ok I got it

The reason why bike weeks are more about Harleys than sportbikes is because there are more of them than us, they generally have more money to spend, they travel extremely long distances, and they usually bring the passenger girls. The reason why bike weeks are not in mountain shredding locations is because Harleys rule the scene and Harleys are more into scenic rides than into dragging knee.

I really don't think you'll be able to establish a new Bike Week unless your primary focus is Harleys. My idea for sportbikes would be that you setup a riding weekend. Is there like a lazy river nearby that gets filled with college girls during labor day or something like that? Cause mountain getaways are all about camping, cabins, drinking events, and girls.

Maybe the first step for this would be to organize a middle sized gathering at a place with ample camping. Take a van load of entertainment gear. Another van load of drinks and food (sell it there at a low upcharge). And plan daily rides with several routes and stand up times and riding styles (MC style) to choose from so people can split up. And plan daily activities (like a lazy river, fishing, canoeing) for family members that come along for the camping experience. Plan a big party and bonfire for each night. Make this happen with 30-60 sportbikes (or any mix of bike styles) and you'll have yourself the start of a yearly bike week(end) growing a little more every year.

BTW...we're sportbikers...so first driving somewhere that is still 4-5 hours away from the Dragon is not really appealing. I'm not about to drive to wherever Blackburg is and then wake up the next day to ride 5 hours to the Dragon. So that's not really a selling point. The Dragon at 5 hours away is a weekend trip all by itself.
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2011, 06:32 PM

i think combining a sportbike meet with the ocean city car n truck show is the most likely way you'll get a nice turnout
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2011, 06:33 PM

its not thatttt hard to set up a big meet, bunch of forums and make a nice flyer. could contact the people that run the oc car n truck show and they would promote through there and get decent results.
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

March 25, 2011, 06:35 PM

The OC Car Show - Ocean City, Maryland

if ya'll are interested I'll contact them n see if they wanna throw sportbikes in. I used to set up some big carmeets back in the day in nova up at fairfax town center so i have a bit of an idea of how to set up.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

March 25, 2011, 08:56 PM

The OC Car Show would be great for a bike ride/meet. And I'm down to ride out there if a ride is set up. But it's not exactly a "bike week" type event. Bike Show maybe, but not Bike Week. There needs to be daytime routes for riding and endless amounts of affordable outdoor drinking/music events. You also need the opportunity to show off custom rides.
Unread
  (#15)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 25, 2011, 09:01 PM

^ that would be awesome, and to the point about camping and whatnot, I'm pretty sure there are more campsites than households in these parts, and some are really awesome

I might start working on a flyer or something and see what I can come up with

and windblown, I know what you mean about numbers haha, we went to the Snake on a not so busy day and it was awesome, barely anyone out there. Numbers also tend to draw police attention as well