DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 498
2 members and 496 guests
2blueyam, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
oct 9/10 overnight trip to route 16 (va/nc)
Unread
  (#1)
just some dude

oct 9/10 overnight trip to route 16 (va/nc) - October 6, 2010, 09:59 AM

this is probably a long shot, but anyone interested in an overnight camping trip down south towards the nc border? here's the planned route: Directions to Wytheville, VA (Econo Lodge) - Google Maps

leaving early saturday, returning sunday evening. the leaves are changing colors and i have some time to kill this weekend, so i figured it was a great time to head into the mountains for some beautiful scenery.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)

Last edited by novasquid; October 7, 2010 at 05:34 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#2)
Lets Ride!!!

October 6, 2010, 10:09 AM

Well if you are going to be down this way, you might want to check out "the snake." It has something like 450 curves and is often compared to "the dragon." Look up rt. 421 right over the VA/NC border in Cherokee National Forest.

Have fun!!

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
RIP Jeff Vega

October 6, 2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblue750 View Post
Well if you are going to be down this way, you might want to check out "the snake." It has something like 450 curves and is often compared to "the dragon." Look up rt. 421 right over the VA/NC border in Cherokee National Forest.
Did the snake early this year, fun stuff...a little too tight for the FJR to be fun LOL.

Do, I was thinking of doing the New river Gorge ride. I really don't have much camping gear or I would tag along if weather was nice.

BRP on the way down?
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 6, 2010, 10:22 AM

I'm up for something like this in the Spring/Summer...
Unread
  (#5)
Lets Ride!!!

October 6, 2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
Did the snake early this year, fun stuff...a little too tight for the FJR to be fun LOL.

Do, I was thinking of doing the New river Gorge ride. I really don't have much camping gear or I would tag along if weather was nice.

BRP on the way down?

I have never been on it, but the Virginia Tech Motorcycle Club is going down there in 2 weeks so that is how I heard about it. Looking at the map, it seems like there are a ton of roads down there that are just as fun! I will have to make an extended weekend trip down in the spring!

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#6)
just some dude

October 6, 2010, 10:29 AM

i tweaked the route a little bit and on the way down will probably hit skyline drive starting in sperryville and then brp.

brian and i were on route 16 earlier this year and it was covered in sand and gravel. i heard it's all clear now, so i'm looking forward to that.

2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#7)
just some dude

October 6, 2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post

i was looking forward to the gorge ride this year, but other plans came up. hope the weather stays nice for that weekend!

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 6, 2010, 09:30 PM

Rt 16 is a lot of fun almost all the way up to the New River Gorge. Particularly nice between War & Welch.

The whole area down there would be Super-Motard heaven IMHO. I found the FZ1 to feel a bit big and cumbersome in parts so I know those FJRs were a handful.
Unread
  (#9)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 6, 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Rt 16 is a lot of fun almost all the way up to the New River Gorge. Particularly nice between War & Welch.

The whole area down there would be Super-Motard heaven IMHO. I found the FZ1 to feel a bit big and cumbersome in parts so I know those FJRs were a handful.
I'll have to hit that up then when I get my street tires, I'm gonna test my knobbies at the snake in two weeks with the VT club

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Bit under weather....
Unread
  (#10)
Signed up for Track Days!

Bit under weather.... - October 7, 2010, 03:47 PM

If I feel better by tomorrow AM. I am in! I will most likely get a hotel as I can't camp and don't like bags on my cycle. I will PM to find out for a possible overnight stop.
Unread
  (#11)
just some dude

October 7, 2010, 04:58 PM

decided to hotel it in wytheville, va. forgot i was signed up for the choice hotels reward program and their promo of "stay 2 nights, get 1 night free" ends nov 3. $47 for an econolodge and i scored a free night to use later.

so no other takers besides goa360??

Unread
  (#12)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 10, 2010, 01:39 AM

Cant believe I was late again by 3mins. Got pulled over by a cop in my community. Lucky to get away with a warning. He told a 7min story about his Honda cruiser blah blah...I don't care but nice guy to give me a warning. I went Rt33 all the way through and turned around...felt sick after gas(remember Do?). Was fun coming back when I hit 211 with redbull kick'n!...