DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 176
4 members and 172 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot, shiphteey
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Season 2018 Planning
Unread
  (#1)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

Season 2018 Planning - January 18, 2018, 11:16 AM

Yo....haven't been on here in near forever, it seems. (Yes I'm still alive, didn't kick the bucket yet).

Last year got completely away from me; had a death in the family, my brother had a meltdown, my wife became gravely ill and we nearly lost her, and my business demands exploded, all about the same time.

Needless to say, I put very few (under 10K) miles on, took no trips, and only managed a couple of non-commuting, just relaxation type day rides.

Barring more crises, my plan is to actually schedule some overnight or multi-day rides. I want to get back up the the Adirondacks, I want to visit Ohio hill country, and I'd like to do a number of WV, PA Western MD day and/or overnight rides.

When I put it on paper it sounds like a lot, but I've started considering that this ol' bod is getting closer to the "Use By" date and I have a lot of riding that I want to get done. My goal is to work things up to a multi week/month long ride the end of this year or beginning of next year. I need to build up my ass, lose some weight and build strength and conditioning. I've turned balder, fatter, softer and even uglier and if I can fix two of those issues I'll feel better about planning a longer ride.

Anyone that wants to plan some longer rides this year, feel free to post here or PM me and we can start looking at the calendar.

As an aside; I'm too effin old to be sleeping on the ground, I have no interest in "Slaying the Dragon", but I'm open to other destinations. I'm an Olde Farte', so protracted periods of triple-digit speeds are out of my ability. I don't mind short periods of "playful" speeds, but if bombing across the eastern seaboard at sub-light velocities is your thing, you'll be leavin' me in your wake........

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

January 18, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
Yo....haven't been on here in near forever, it seems. (Yes I'm still alive, didn't kick the bucket yet).

Last year got completely away from me; had a death in the family, my brother had a meltdown, my wife became gravely ill and we nearly lost her, and my business demands exploded, all about the same time.

Needless to say, I put very few (under 10K) miles on, took no trips, and only managed a couple of non-commuting, just relaxation type day rides.

Barring more crises, my plan is to actually schedule some overnight or multi-day rides. I want to get back up the the Adirondacks, I want to visit Ohio hill country, and I'd like to do a number of WV, PA Western MD day and/or overnight rides.

When I put it on paper it sounds like a lot, but I've started considering that this ol' bod is getting closer to the "Use By" date and I have a lot of riding that I want to get done. My goal is to work things up to a multi week/month long ride the end of this year or beginning of next year. I need to build up my ass, lose some weight and build strength and conditioning. I've turned balder, fatter, softer and even uglier and if I can fix two of those issues I'll feel better about planning a longer ride.

Anyone that wants to plan some longer rides this year, feel free to post here or PM me and we can start looking at the calendar.

As an aside; I'm too effin old to be sleeping on the ground, I have no interest in "Slaying the Dragon", but I'm open to other destinations. I'm an Olde Farte', so protracted periods of triple-digit speeds are out of my ability. I don't mind short periods of "playful" speeds, but if bombing across the eastern seaboard at sub-light velocities is your thing, you'll be leavin' me in your wake........
It's like I'm seeing myself in the mirror, 30 years from now. I would so be part of this, but I've moved to Europe for now, so I sincerely hope you find some partners in crime and please post updates!

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Triumph-ant

January 18, 2018, 04:18 PM

I want to do a Nova Scotia trip in late August but summer classes only warrant a small time frame. Alternatively, I planned a trip to Belize where we can rent dual sports and gp off roading for a solid week

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#4)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 18, 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
It's like I'm seeing myself in the mirror, 30 years from now. I would so be part of this, but I've moved to Europe for now, so I sincerely hope you find some partners in crime and please post updates!
You're in Italy, right? I'm soooo jealous.
I would love to ride there!

As far as the other part; Yep, bury your parents, your siblings and almost lose your significant other and it gets your attention. Time is winding down for me. I don't know if I have two weeks or twenty five years left, but it would be a shame to waste any of it....

I'm just guessing, but I'm willing to bet that nobody on their deathbed ever said, "dang, I wish I had worked more and played less".....

Just sayin...

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

January 18, 2018, 04:51 PM

Dude, I so hear ya! As we age the reality that the clock is ticking comes into play.

I got serious about my motorcycle bucket list a few years ago. My parents had both passed, put 2 children in the ground, and buried my wife. It was time for some ME time before someone's tossing dirt over my face.

About mid-winter I start doing regular light work outs to build stamina for riding season and get out when I can throughout the winter. I discovered dual porting/ADV riding really was a lot of fun and a good workout. But whether strictly pavement or a combo of paved and unpaved there sure is a bunch of country to see!

Since I got serious I've ridden the TET to Florida and back. Ridden from VA out to CO and explored on and off-road throughout a good part of the state. Ridden up to the Upper peninsula of Michigan and did a 1200 miles D/S loop around the Upper Peninsula. Ridden dirt and back roads to NC and back to join some other Tiger riders for a weekend. Spent countless hours prowling around locally searching out little hidden gems.

My next "Trip" is Florida at the end of february. I'll be hauling a little 250 dirtbike down to ride a weekend event down there and do some exploring. I have some serious reservations about hauling a bike versus riding a bike but we'll see. I doubt I'm gonna get hooked on the idea of hauling bikes places.

Anyway, seen some wonderful country on two wheels these last few years, met some wonderful folks, had some awesome experiences.

Just do it.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#6)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 19, 2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Dude, I so hear ya! As we age the reality that the clock is ticking comes into play.

I got serious about my motorcycle bucket list a few years ago. My parents had both passed, put 2 children in the ground, and buried my wife. It was time for some ME time before someone's tossing dirt over my face.

About mid-winter I start doing regular light work outs to build stamina for riding season and get out when I can throughout the winter.

I didn't know...sounds like you had a time of it.

Funny how that crap changes your perspective.

One minute I was head down, slogging through the daily grind........and I looked up, and almost everyone I cared about was dead and buried.

Fack that.

I'm not going quietly.

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 19, 2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
You're in Italy, right? I'm soooo jealous.
I would love to ride there!

As far as the other part; Yep, bury your parents, your siblings and almost lose your significant other and it gets your attention. Time is winding down for me. I don't know if I have two weeks or twenty five years left, but it would be a shame to waste any of it....

I'm just guessing, but I'm willing to bet that nobody on their deathbed ever said, "dang, I wish I had worked more and played less".....

Just sayin...
Yup, I'm in northern Italy. One hour away from the beach, one hour away from the alps. And I have a GS and a 998 to play with, could not ask for more in the motorcycle department!

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 20, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post

About mid-winter I start doing regular light work outs to build stamina for riding season and get out when I can throughout the winter. I discovered dual porting/ADV riding really was a lot of fun and a good workout. But whether strictly pavement or a combo of paved and unpaved there sure is a bunch of country to see!

Since I got serious I've ridden the TET to Florida and back. Ridden from VA out to CO and explored on and off-road throughout a good part of the state. Ridden up to the Upper peninsula of Michigan and did a 1200 miles D/S loop around the Upper Peninsula. Ridden dirt and back roads to NC and back to join some other Tiger riders for a weekend. Spent countless hours prowling around locally searching out little hidden gems.

My next "Trip" is Florida at the end of february. I'll be hauling a little 250 dirtbike down to ride a weekend event down there and do some exploring. I have some serious reservations about hauling a bike versus riding a bike but we'll see. I doubt I'm gonna get hooked on the idea of hauling bikes places.

Anyway, seen some wonderful country on two wheels these last few years, met some wonderful folks, had some awesome experiences.

Just do it.
what in the world? Am i reading this right?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

January 23, 2018, 06:46 AM

Adirondacks you say? I live in Ballston Lake, NY now, just a bit North of Albany before the Adirondacks. Then again, depends on what part of it you're talking about.. If you find yourself up my way, give me a shout for a place to stay and whatnot.
Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!

January 23, 2018, 09:05 AM

I'm always down for a weekend trip.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 23, 2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Adirondacks you say? I live in Ballston Lake, NY now, just a bit North of Albany before the Adirondacks. Then again, depends on what part of it you're talking about.. If you find yourself up my way, give me a shout for a place to stay and whatnot.
Nice! I love most of upstate NY.... I might take you up on that.

Unread
  (#12)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

January 23, 2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I'm always down for a weekend trip.
Any preference on destination?

Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

January 23, 2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Any preference on destination?
My current schedule, I am off Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I'd like to explore upstate NY more.

Did Lake George up to Lake Placid over the fall on a buddies bike.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
No more 1050 :(

January 26, 2018, 03:49 AM

Lake George is about 30 mins from my place on a bike.

Large swaths of the Adirondacks aren't great for road motorcycling though, because there's nothing there... (I never realized how big the Adirondacks were until I moved up here... it's the largest park in the lower 48, larger than Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, etc). Much of it is only served by fire roads, and the paved ones that go through are straight as an arrow. Check out the Catskill region a bit South/ Southwest of Albany. Woodstock, Phoenicia, Big Indian area. That's gorgeous country.

Last edited by drz1050; January 26, 2018 at 03:57 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
just some dude

May 9, 2018, 07:09 AM

my buddy and i are planning a 2-3 week cross country trip starting august 31, you're welcome to come along.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid