DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 613
2 members and 611 guests
beatle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Snowboarding at Wisp? alternative to Snowshoe?
Unread
  (#1)
man up

Snowboarding at Wisp? alternative to Snowshoe? - January 4, 2010, 11:35 PM

I just heard from a friend that Wisp is a better alternative to Snowshoe. I haven't been to either but from what I can tell it seems as though its a bit smaller than Snowshoe but its cheaper and a lot less crowded. I haven't been to either so does anyone have any advice to whether I should just go to Wisp and skip out on Snowshoe?

Also, I want to go sometime this week or weekend- let me know if you'll be out there!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

Cool January 4, 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride View Post
I just heard from a friend that Wisp is a better alternative to Snowshoe. I haven't been to either but from what I can tell it seems as though its a bit smaller than Snowshoe but its cheaper and a lot less crowded. I haven't been to either so does anyone have any advice to whether I should just go to Wisp and skip out on Snowshoe?

Also, I want to go sometime this week or weekend- let me know if you'll be out there!
I've been there. Its more then just a bit smaller then Snowshoe and costs the same. I got lucky since my bud has a gig there so I got a discount and a place to stay. IMHO, the only viable alternative to Snowshoe is Seven Springs - I've been to both (and Wisp) and Snowshoe is where I prefer to go.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 4, 2010, 11:50 PM

Actually the best place to go as an alternative to Snowshoe is Timberline...1000ft of vert, gets really good snow, and there are almost never any lift lines...it is also less expensive than snowshoe, has cheap food and beer as well. Ask for JR and tell him "Pink bike Adam" sent you and you might get hooked up...I helped build their mountain bike park with a few of my friends up there this summer. Mountain is owned by an old vascular surgeon nicknamed "doc" super chill and laid back vibe as well.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

January 5, 2010, 02:26 AM

i just got back from snowshoe. went there this year and last year for newyears. i'm not a fan of the location.

pros:
-it gets a ton of snow
-the village is nice, there's lots of shops and restaurants
-and the western territory is nice (separate area/lift that services only black/double black nice long runs).

cons:
-it's far, and 4wd def recommended (see comment about tons of snow)
-housing and tickets are expensive
-it's crowded as shit (although i've only been there over newyears weekends). this makes the lift lines take forever, like more than enough to make the experience miserably cold even for seasoned/geared skiers+boarders. crowds also makes the waits for food ridiculous even though there are a ton of decent restaurants.
-the park was sparse as best with no dedicated lift. although i heard that the sliver creek area (separate area not accessible by skiing) had a pipe and park
-the only cell service is att and only a very weak signal at the very top of the mountain. this combines with everything else to make it a pain in the ass to meet up with people. you send a text and hope that they receive it the next time they are at the top, then if they send you one back you won't hear until the next time you're up. and with the long lift lines it can take awhile to implement a simple plan. it's like sending a message to the moon, it could literally take over an hour to send a question and get a response.
-the only trails that traverse across to different lifts are flat and narrow greens, with the tons of people crowding/crashing/stopping all over the trails. this again makes it a pain to meetup with groups. and if you don't stay at the village, the main free parking area is at the top of one lift on the side, so you spend a decent bit of your time (again esp if the lift lines are long) just trying to get to and from where you wanna go.
-everything above. at the end of the day, between the long lift lines/crowds, snafu's and waiting to meet up with people, and traversing around the mountain, you can easily end up with no, or only a handful of decent runs all day and still be miserably cold and hungry.

i know opinions are like... but that's my take. i've been to wisp a few times but never when it was fully open (usually end of season and early season for the $7 anniversary celebration). but i liked it, and always had a lot better time there skiing/boarding wise. this probably has a lot to do with the time of year, and the size and experience level of the group that i go with to snowshoe. but next year i think i'd rather go to wisp. the housing there is also reasonable and plentiful (esp since it's a true 4 season resort area with deep creek lake).

i've only been to timberline once, i liked it, but thought it was much smaller than wisp/snowshoe/sevensprings. maybe i'll give it another try this season.

Last edited by slow231; January 5, 2010 at 02:28 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
Owner & Creator

January 5, 2010, 07:40 AM

7 Springs or Blue Mountain
Unread
  (#6)
Traction Control

January 5, 2010, 07:53 AM

slow231 is right about driving there. if there's snow, and you dont have awd, forget it. those roads are very dangerous. however, snowshoe does get a good amount of snow, and they have good trails, which is why most people like it. but it is damned expensive, $75 during peak season. I think peak is over now though, so it might be like $5 cheaper. I guess a big plus to snowshoe is the fact that they have buses running all night, so you can go drink and have a free ride to ur hotel.

if you're a big park guy, I wouldn't recommend going all the way out there for it. I was there just before new years and they still didn't have a lot going on, and they also suck nutz at grooming. I've been going there for 6 years, this is the slowest start to the park I think I've ever seen. 7 springs is usually one of the best places in the area for that.

i need to shut up, i could type all day about this shit

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

January 5, 2010, 08:47 AM

I went to Wisp when I was in like 8-9th grade....

At the time it gave me that old creepy feeling...like the resort was going to shutdown any minute.

It did feel like smaller compared to the other ones I've been too....doesn't seem like a good substitute for Snowshoe....but I've never been there so my opinion is not that accurate on Snowshoe.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

Cool January 5, 2010, 10:16 AM

not trying to bash - just my suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow231 View Post
cons:
-it's far, and 4wd def recommended (see comment about tons of snow)

relative - it only takes me 3.5 hours and I've done it in less.

-housing and tickets are expensive

also relative, some people can afford and some can't

-it's crowded as shit (although i've only been there over newyears weekends). this makes the lift lines take forever, like more than enough to make the experience miserably cold even for seasoned/geared skiers+boarders. crowds also makes the waits for food ridiculous even though there are a ton of decent restaurants.

true, however - that is what Silvercreek (other side of the mountain) and the Western Territories are for. The last time I went, we spent Friday owning Snowshoe (no crowds), Sat was full so spent the morning on the Western Territories and then we went to Silvercreek where there was no crowds - up early to repeat on Sun.

-the park was sparse as best with no dedicated lift. although i heard that the sliver creek area (separate area not accessible by skiing) had a pipe and park

Silvercreek has the much better park then Snowshoe, IMHO.

-the only cell service is att and only a very weak signal at the very top of the mountain. this combines with everything else to make it a pain in the ass to meet up with people. you send a text and hope that they receive it the next time they are at the top, then if they send you one back you won't hear until the next time you're up. and with the long lift lines it can take awhile to implement a simple plan. it's like sending a message to the moon, it could literally take over an hour to send a question and get a response.

- spend $50 on walkie-talkies/personal communicators, I've gone on many trips with many different people and we do this - it even worked on my trips to Germany and Canada (Garmisch & Whistler) - cell service in that part of WVA sucks all around.

-the only trails that traverse across to different lifts are flat and narrow greens, with the tons of people crowding/crashing/stopping all over the trails. this again makes it a pain to meetup with groups. and if you don't stay at the village, the main free parking area is at the top of one lift on the side, so you spend a decent bit of your time (again esp if the lift lines are long) just trying to get to and from where you wanna go.

can agree with most of this, however I also outlined what I did to get around it above.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#9)
Mommy's Little Monster

January 5, 2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
7 Springs or Blue Mountain
100% agree.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X