DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 603
0 members and 603 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Rides and Events

LinkBack Thread Tools
Spring Zing Ride May 7th
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Spring Zing Ride May 7th - April 17, 2011, 08:34 PM

This is the 2nd year for doing this ride. We leave Sheetz in Stephens City. The ride is up the mountains of West Virginia to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland having lunch at Uno's Pizze then heading down to Lavale Md for dinner at Datria's. We leave at 9 A.M. sharp and the roads are great...allot of turns, some nice straights..etc. Last year we got back at 7:30 at night so it is a full day ride for sure. (275-300 miles) The pace is no more than 10 over the posted and of course on some straights we clean out the carbon The goal of the ride is to get back in one piece and no tickets so this is not a race. Last year 15 bikes showed up so with that many you have to ride smart and safe. Not to mention cops in VA seem to have it out for bikers. A group of harleys nobody looks twice but our bikes it becomes a big deal..

My rules are simple...if someone in front is going slow pass them but do it in a safe manner. Drawing attention to the group (reving to red line, Wheelies, burn outs.. not excepted on this ride. I have been on rides before where guys were getting crazy and the whole group got busted... they couldn't prove who was doing what but they gave tickets to all of us for loud exhaust, license plates that were mounted wrong, turn signals that were not factory..a bunch of bullshit but it cost us all money and nobody was happy that day. We are riding through 3 states so mapping out the weather for all locations will done days ahead of time. If weather is not looking good then a new date will be set.

This is a sportbike ride only and you should have miles under your belt for this long of a ride, nobody will get left behind however if you have only been riding for a year or less maybe this is not the best ride for you. I don't want anyone getting hurt trying to ride over their head. Like I said above no more than 10 over average I want everyone to come back tired but in once piece and no tickets.

747 Fairfax Street
Stephens City, VA 22655-2818
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spingzing.jpg (454.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg springzing2.jpg (526.4 KB, 224 views)

Speed Is Just A Matter Of Money... How Fast Can You Afford To Go ?

www.flairphoto2.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

April 27, 2011, 02:12 PM

Looks like we will cut out Cumberland to shorten the trip a little still should be a full day but taken 60 miles out of the loop.

www.flairphoto2.com
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

April 27, 2011, 02:18 PM

Update again on the week of. Subscribed to thread.
Unread
  (#4)
NEVER SURRENDER

May 3, 2011, 07:07 PM

I'm trying to get a group of Northern virginia people to meet at the Haymarket sheets about 7:30 am leave at 7:45am (bout an hour ride) to meet for the spring Zing ride starting at Stephens City sheetz at 9am.
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 4, 2011, 01:49 PM

So far the weather looks good. Working to finalize the route and where we stop and eat. Leaving Sheetz Stephens City at 9 sharp. Will post up some route info so any one late can catch up. Refer to first post on rules and the pace we will be riding at. Later in the year we do ride where the pace is faster but this early in the year, with temps cooler, and not knowing the road conditions after winter we will ride like we have some sense just some

More info on Friday

www.flairphoto2.com
Unread
  (#6)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 4, 2011, 02:48 PM

Sounds like fun but I don't have a sportbike. I will let u fast guys go out and have fun, at least give us some good roads to ride out there.
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

May 6, 2011, 07:58 AM

Happy Friday All,

Update for Ride: Depending on how many show up and the time it takes to get from A to B will determine where we eat at. So that will be decided after the first break. I will go over some road details tomorrow at 8:50, never know who is reading these posts so would rather not give all the details here. The Spring Zing is one of 3 of our big rides we do in this area. Because of all the rain we know some of the roads have gravel on them, and because of the cooler weather road temps are not where they should be especially in the morning so we need to be careful...the summer ride is a faster ride because of that but we will still have a good time on this one. At each break I will go over the next route details and what to look out for. Once again at 9:00 we will be leaving so gas up as soon as you get to Sheetz or have a full tank already. We have allot of miles to cover and some are coming an hour away aready so want to have everyone home before dark no matter where to drive out from.

Notes:

· Average speed will be no more than 10 over posted speed limit and I would expect you to be able to do that. If a turn is 45mph we will be doing 55 (road conditions allow) if for some reason you can't than once through it you may have to go 70mph to catch up with the rest of the pack. For safety reasons so we don’t want to be so spread out so speed up and catch us. On some long straights if I am leading I will open it up a little so everyone can clean out the carbon from the exhaust J
· Last year we were in a single line which took up to much real estate. This year I would like to be staggered like you you read about when taking your DMV test. This way we ride in a tighter pack. On turns of course leave room for the next rider incase something goes wrong you don't want to be in his ASS. (THIS IS NOT RACE) save that for Summit Point. Nobody knows who is better or faster so after the ride if someone is in front of you and they are causing you stress then pass them and move up in the pack. Nobody takes this personal and don't make it personal. Just do it safely and don't shoehorn yourself into a group of riders an then cause them to hammer the breaks. Since we are not at Summit NO passing on turns.. straights only. (Reminder we want to come back in one piece...us and our bikes.)
· Jackets, jeans, boots a must. Shorts, tennis shoes… not on this ride.

Helpful tips:

Check your tires and make sure you have good rubber. This will be a 300+ mile ride and up the mountains of WV and MD so don’t come up with tires that are shot.
Check your chain, LUBE your chain, give your bike a once over tonight to make sure bolts are tight. Having a issue 2 milels from home is one thing but broke down 4 hours away...not a good thing.

As you know ripping through the air, and muscling a bike around makes you tired. So every stop drink water, power bar, fruit, etc. I have been riding since 1985 and have seen my share of good riders go down because of just being tired and making a mistake which on a bike is costly. I will be riding an Orange/Blk Busa..soild the blue silver busa that is on my avatar.

www.flairphoto2.com

Last edited by vmaxbaby; May 6, 2011 at 08:01 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

May 6, 2011, 02:04 PM

sounds like a fun ride.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
It's all good..

May 6, 2011, 10:04 PM

Wish I could make this one Bill, it's been too long. I can't believe ya sold the blue one.
So loved that bike!!

Hayabusa : Home Page

Paul J
03 Busa
08 150R sumo
10 SXV 550
06 GSX-R1000

dprams1 "Really guy, really, you strapped your bike to the top of your car. Wow, wow, really"

Stillie: "The day you get on motard is the day you write of society as a whole. They are the ones living incomplete. Fuck them. "

PSN: paulj70

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009

http://www.rememberinggregwalker.com/index.html
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to UUBusa Send a message via AIM to UUBusa  
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

May 8, 2011, 10:22 AM

Well the guy that bought it showed up and rode with us, he lives somewhere in haymarket. It was cool to see the bike again and while riding to look back and see the beast in my mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (230.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (338.4 KB, 30 views)

www.flairphoto2.com
Spring Zing is Over..next up is Summer Zing
Unread
  (#11)
MSF Student

Spring Zing is Over..next up is Summer Zing - May 8, 2011, 10:32 AM

Well guys we had a great time yesterday, weather was a little cool in the morning but by 11 was perfect. Got allot of PM's about more advance notice for the Summer Ding which will be in July I am guessing. We do 3 big rides a year so we have 2 left. Allot of guys had plans this weekend but hopefully next ride will see some more riders. No tickets, no busted up bikes, so it was all good. We road 315 miles which for the first big ride of the year was a killer, will have more seat time in before the summer zing. We cut out deep creek lake because of the weather (RAIN) but the Summer ding will include it. We eat at UNO's out on the deck over looking the lake, then go to a go cart track near by and try and kill each other for a few laps.. That ride will be approx 350 to 400 miles so get some rides in first. Hawk sorry to hear about your oil plug don't feel bad 2 other guys were working on there bike Friday night and had issues and could not make the ride. Another rider drank to much Friday night and slept through the alarm. For the next ride do all work by Wed night so your ready by Saturday And for sure have good tires. LOL
Here is a few pictures before my camera died..for those I did not get next time I will pack more batterys. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (203.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (371.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (344.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (329.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (419.5 KB, 15 views)

www.flairphoto2.com

Last edited by vmaxbaby; May 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

May 8, 2011, 10:33 AM

Mor pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (273.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.JPG (404.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (276.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4802.JPG (437.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4811.JPG (427.8 KB, 17 views)

www.flairphoto2.com
Unread
  (#13)
RIP Jeff Vega

May 8, 2011, 01:14 PM

I thought you said sportbikes only....I see some Buells in there .

Next time I'm just gonna bring the FJR out....