DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 315
4 members and 311 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Nobrains, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Socials Corner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Alexandria City Hall -- 12/13/14
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Alexandria City Hall -- 12/13/14 - December 9, 2014, 10:43 AM

The Alexandria police department has its officers going business to business, providing a flyer with **misinformation** on Virginia’s gun laws, targeting mostly open carry.

Unfortunately for the police, a VCDL member was present when they came into a restaurant this morning, handed a flyer to the owner, and chatted with the owner for a few minutes.

Afterward, the restaurant owner showed the VCDL member the flyer and said that the police told him that he didn’t have to allow open carry and if he saw somebody doing so, he could call the police!

While true - a business owner can call the police to enforce a trespass charge - it is certainly out of the ordinary for the police come into a business out of the blue and encourage a business owner to infringe on his customer's civil liberties.

The flyer particularly endangers 18 to 20 year olds as it incorrectly tells a store owner that if they see someone under 21-years-old with a handgun on their hip, that is illegal! That is NOT true and having the police show up on a bogus “man with a gun” call endangers everyone unnecessarily.

The flyer also makes these other FALSE claims about the law, which again could lead to unnecessary man-with-a-gun calls to the police:

* Open carry is not legal in churches

* Open carry is not legal in government buildings (we’ll show that’s not true when we flood their city hall on Saturday, December 13th - see below).

The flyer makes a point of saying that sometimes gun owners hold “demonstrations or events” to raise awareness of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms and those events “may cause alarm” and to call the police if the store owner sees “anything suspicious or of concern."

Aside from the blatant falsehoods, the flyer appears designed to demonize lawful open carry and to confuse and scare the business into calling the police to confront law-abiding gun owners. It does this by citing laws regarding reckless gun handling to paint a frightening image of gun owners brandishing and shooting up his establishment!

The police, of all people, should NOT mislead the public or actively seek to create a chilling effect on the exercise of civil liberties.

--

You can see a copy of the offending flyer by clicking here:

https://vcdl.org/sites/default/files/Alexandria_Flyer.jpg

ACTION ITEMS

1. So openly carried guns aren’t allowed in government buildings? Let’s flood City Hall with gun owners wearing “Guns Save Lives” stickers on Saturday, December 13th from 9:30 AM to 10 AM during the public comment
period. I will certainly be open carrying to make the point that it is NOT illegal and hopefully educate the police at the same time. I will also address City Council about the egregiousness of the police targeting law-abiding gun owners exercising their right to openly carry handguns.

Address:

City Hall
Council Chamber
301 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

A big turnout would send a strong message that Virginia gun owners do not appreciate being discriminated against or having the police disseminating blatantly false, misleading, and inflammatory information to the public on gun laws.

2. Let’s also flood City Council with webmail. Click here:

http://request.alexandriava.gov/CCC/#tab...rvice=CNC_GROUP

or

http://tinyurl.com/lglaus8

Suggested comment:

The Alexandria police are providing false, misleading, and inflammatory flyers to businesses about gun owners openly carrying handguns. It is not the role of the police to foment public bias against gun owners. Direct the police department to stop handing out the offending flyers and spend their time looking for criminals instead of encouraging unnecessary confrontations with law-abiding citizens who are doing nothing more than exercising an important civil right.

--

If you are planning on attending the City Council hearing, respond to this and let me know. Thanks!

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

December 9, 2014, 10:54 AM

Interesting.
I was always under the impression one had to be 21 before they could legally register and carry a handgun.

The rest though is utter nonsense. NoVA must be a pretty sleepy and boring place if all the police have to do with their time is run around fomenting and ginning up action calls and crimes.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 9, 2014, 11:08 AM

A 18-20 year old can not legally purchase a handgun from a dealer/ffl. They CAN purchase one legally from a private party. They can also legally receive one as a gift, usually from family/friend.

Unread
  (#4)
Meh

December 9, 2014, 11:15 AM

Good on you for posting this up.
Unread
  (#5)
no one's blowing up moons

December 9, 2014, 11:22 AM

Huh. . . . how 'bout that. Police abusing their authority? You don't say.

I always thought inciting public fear was a Tool of Terrorism.

If I had a gun (or even a permit) I'd definitely be there with you guys. Thanks for getting the word out.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

December 9, 2014, 11:28 AM

You don't need a permit or a gun. Your physical presence will be sufficient.

Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!

December 9, 2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Interesting.
I was always under the impression one had to be 21 before they could legally register and carry a handgun.

The rest though is utter nonsense. NoVA must be a pretty sleepy and boring place if all the police have to do with their time is run around fomenting and ginning up action calls and crimes.

What register are you talking about?

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#8)
no one's blowing up moons

December 9, 2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
You don't need a permit or a gun. Your physical presence will be sufficient.
I have a union meeting 9 to noon. Anything I can do after that?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

December 9, 2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What register are you talking about?
Maybe Heist is not aware of the right VA residents have? Purchasing a new firearm is de facto registration, however purchasing a used firearm from a private party exempts people from necessarily needing to register a firearm.

Throughout history, registration always leads to confiscation sooner or later. It has never NOT led to confiscation. This is why many firearms owners prefer purchasing firearms used, person to person. It is not the government's business to know how many and what types of firearms you own. If you can legally own a firearm and choose to own one or many you aren't breaking any laws. Registering just gives the government a nice little list they can use against you when its time to "round em up"

Unread
  (#10)
I'm a llama again!

December 9, 2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe Heist is not aware of the right VA residents have? Purchasing a new firearm is de facto registration, however purchasing a used firearm from a private party exempts people from necessarily needing to register a firearm.

Throughout history, registration always leads to confiscation sooner or later. It has never NOT led to confiscation. This is why many firearms owners prefer purchasing firearms used, person to person. It is not the government's business to know how many and what types of firearms you own. If you can legally own a firearm and choose to own one or many you aren't breaking any laws. Registering just gives the government a nice little list they can use against you when its time to "round em up"
Yeah this is why I like to buy mine used. They don't need to know and the thought of a registry turns my stomach.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

December 9, 2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
A 18-20 year old can not legally purchase a handgun from a dealer/ffl. They CAN purchase one legally from a private party. They can also legally receive one as a gift, usually from family/friend.
Ah, ok. Wasn't aware private sales & transfers were excluded in VA.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

December 9, 2014, 03:19 PM

tempting
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

December 9, 2014, 03:42 PM

I think they edited it!

9,000 hours in MS Paint!

https://www.facebook.com/AlexandriaV...25208214257579
Unread
  (#14)
Parkin lot pimpin'

December 10, 2014, 12:13 PM

Doesn't shock me they did this...Thank you anti-gun and anti-common sense Northern VA.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

December 11, 2014, 12:24 PM

Alexandria has been particularly anti-gun for a while. If you need the head of police's signature for something, NFA items or something, just go with a trust.