DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 145
5 members and 140 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Deep, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
09/28/08 - The Newb ride that turned out not to be so NEWB!
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

09/28/08 - The Newb ride that turned out not to be so NEWB! - September 28, 2008, 10:58 PM

Yes we rode...Yes were crazy..If you think I am sane, you have another thing comin!

"You are no longer allowed to set up a newbie ride in the fall! Your luck SUCKS!" came out of Godfathers mouth once he took off his helmet at the gas station in Bowie. And he's right on the money. I am now 0 for 2 for newbie rides recently - and I am the godfather of the North Beach Ride. Every once in a while, I get a hair up my ass to rally up a newbie ride. I do it because people took the time out of their busy schedule to do the same for me. So, I like to return the favor. Originally, about 35 people were supposed to show up. I also posted the ride up on .COM. Realistically, I expected to have about 50 (damn lurkers!). I was watching the weather and the storm was supposed to blow over before Sunday. I was planning to cancel the ride early Saturday but I just kept on getting the feeling that I should hold off..And I'm glad I did.

I woke up late (WHAT A SUPRISE) because I didn't get to sleep till about 2:30 thanks to my neighbors and a lot of beer. I look up in the sky and its REAL cloudy. Roads real wet too..But it doesn't feel like rain just yet. But I wonder how my Bridgestone BT002 will do in the rain. I got to the original meeting spot a little after 11 at the BP and Jonathan750 was anxiously waiting. Godfather just hit up Jonathan and told him that hell meet us at the Exxon. I received a page from Doublins and he texted that he was on his way up. Around 11:40, Jonathan750 and I are waiting by the treeline when we hear Doublins pulling through the circle. I see him looking around but were blending into the treeline. I then realize that he doesn't see us. Well, he goes around the round-a-about and starts heading towards the Exxon in Bowie. "Aww..***!" We both jump on our bikes and take off after Doublins.
We pull up to the Exxon and Doublins sees me. We all pull in the back meeting spot at the Exxon and start waiting for people to show up. One by one people start trickling in...Badass...Godfather...Greygixxer..Now there's six of us. At first, we weren't going to do the NB route. "Roads too wet.." came out of everyone's mouth. "Who's leading..." Badass looks up and points over to me.. "He called it...His ride.." I look up and its still real cloudy but it shifting. "*** IT..NB it is. Lets go." We all jump onto Governors Bridge Rd. Its REAL WET AND SLIPPERY! I do a little slip action and realize, and DOublins and Badass yelling didnt hurt either, I was going way too fast. So, I slowed my butt down and concentrated more.

The roads weren't that bad. But the road conditions definitely wasn't good for newbs. The bad thing about it was that each of us were kicking up debris from the road to the other riders behind us. Tree branches everywhere along with whatever that crap was growing from them..Looked like apples. The sun tried to peek its head out on the way to North Beach. But, where there was tree cover, was WATER. Not many puddles but the road was wet. I LOVE my Bridgestones. They STUCK to the ground. Parts of Patuxent Road were dry...Right at that 10mph turn was REAL WET. But we all went through with no problem. Polling House Road was more of the same..Open Sky - dry road. Tree cover - WET. We start riding through Deale Rd, Solomons Island Rd at a good but cautious pace and it was fun. Couple of blind switchbacks with a wet road never hurt nobody! We start picking up the pace little by little. I look behind me and there's badass leaning off his bike like hes at Summit. We arrived at North Beach and my head is a ringing. I forgot my ear plugs at home. SO, we stop at that Bar/Restaurant right at the stop sign once you enter North Beach and got a little food.
Once we get back on the road, were off into Calvert County. No rain and the roads were drying up. We were able to get a good pace going and it was a blast. I don't remember the name of the road but its the one we make a right at after Ledo's Pizza. The roads pretty much dry and no traffic. Back and forth, left and right....Up and down....FUN FUN FUN. BUt, were still being a little cautious because you never know what the storm left behind. Now were at Rt. 2 before you know it with grins on our faces. Since we got a late start, I had to call my ride short. We start heading down Rt. 2 since it was the quickest way home. A couple of times, I don't know how it happened, the throttle just opened up for a quick little blast.. Well, were headed down Rt. 2 and I look up. I see a REALLY dark cloud coming. Then, a couple of drops hit my helmet. My spider senses go off and we pull into the CItco Gas station at the circle. And then God opened up the flood gates. It started to POUR! So, we sit there for a good 30 minutes. The rain starts easing up and Jonathan heads out. The rest of us still wait to give the rain a chance to leave out. The rain stops and the sun comes out "WHAT LUCK!" Godfather takes off to go home in the other direction. Doublins and I decide to continue our trek down Rt. 2. I look up again and see another cloud. Were about to cut right through it. A couple of rain drops hit my shield and BOOM - The monsoon starts all over again. We ride through it and come out the other side. Doublins turns off and I ride away on Rt. 3. Everyone is home safe and sound.

The route is a lot of fun. For those who didn't make it, MAKE THE NEXT ONE! Or just hit me up. I just need an excuse! For newbs that dont like big group rides, hit me up and let me know. I have been thinking about having a SMALL newbie group do a North Beach Ride..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
Tough guy

September 29, 2008, 07:42 AM

less words...more pics!

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#3)
Semper Fi

September 29, 2008, 08:54 AM

I'm sure it would have been a nice turn out if it wasn't for the shitty weather.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lyman2134  
Unread
  (#4)
Triple Secks

September 29, 2008, 10:14 AM

Wish i had came regardless of the weather. I just didnt wanna ride out there and.. not see anyone then go home.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

September 29, 2008, 11:20 AM

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

September 29, 2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive
Wish i had came regardless of the weather. I just didnt wanna ride out there and.. not see anyone then go home.
+1 I saw myself being the only dummy soaked at the gas station at 9AM with my leathers on...

MHR Speedy
07 Daytona 675 Street
02 SV650 Track
www.mdhillriders.com
Unread
  (#7)
Triple Secks

September 29, 2008, 01:21 PM

i meant to say "i'd have come regardless of the weather"

Scorp, shooting you a pm!

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

September 29, 2008, 08:11 PM

It was a good time..It would of been a pretty good turnout. The NB route usually turns out good. The biggest one I have ever had was 120 people. That was CRAZY!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R