DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
4 members and 569 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
211 Got Me - Flat tire time again
Unread
  (#1)
I'm so tired

211 Got Me - Flat tire time again - June 24, 2007, 02:27 PM

So I get up early on Saturday and go outside. Man was a nice morning it is. I get the bike out of the garage and I head out taking some back roads towards Haymarket.

I get to the Haymarket Sheetz and head towards Front Royal. I decide to take 55 all the way there. Not bad. No cars and I'm doing the speed limit. I have nowhere to go and not really in a hurry to get there.

I get to Front Royal and stop of at Luray Caverns. Rest up some and get my legs back.

After that I head from Front Royal to Luray. Itís a short ride and only takes about 20 minutes if that. From Luray I head west on 211. Nice pace, nothing to fast. I get to New Market in about 30 minutes and stop off at a gas station at the end of 211 before I cross over 81. I decide that I have gone far enough and should head back. I get back on 211 and go back the same way I came. Same thing....not really in a hurry and just out for a ride. When I get over the top of 211 on the mountain, I feel the bike getting all squishy. Nothing moving all over the place, just the feeling that something is not right. I continue all the way down the mountain and the bike if just getting worse and worse. So I pull over and at the point my back end of the bike is all over the place. I get off the bike and look at the rear tire and she is flat. All the way down to the rim.

Shit....now what do I do. I'm about 2 hours from home and its 4pm. I make some calls and get nothing but voice mails. I leave some messages as best as I can. I must be on the edge of a cell tower because I have to walk around until I can get a signal. I'm out in BFVA.

I take a chance and call my room mate and see if he is home. Its a nice day and its Saturday so I was thinking he was going to be out on the Golf Range somewhere having a good time. But he answers the phone and I try to tell him whatís going on. He says that he is going to get my truck and trailer and come out and get me. YES!!!! But he is 2 hours away. So what am I going to do for 2 hours in the sun...no shade? Grrrrrrrr.....

A VSP stops off in a sweet camero that is all decked out and asks if I need help and if I need to call someone. The trooper looks like he is 16 years old. But a really cool guy. Asks if I need anything and I tell him that my roomie is on his way out to get me. He gives me the whole spiel about calling #77 if I need help and then he takes off.

A little while late a young couple comes up and asks me if Iím okay. He looks at the bike and asks if I was going fast when I laid it down. I tell him that the fairing is all messed up because of a crash last year and I'm just too lazy to fix it. He sticks around for a few minutes as we talk and then he heads out.

About 45 minutes later the same VSP guys stops by again and makes sure that I'm still doing okay. I give him the story about living so far away and that its going to take my room mate a while to get here. He gives me a nod and heads out again.

I'm roasting out here. There is no shade and I am getting really thirsty. Why in the hell didnít I get some water and put it under that seat like I usually do. Grrrrrr some more.

An older couple comes by and asks if I need to call any one. I tell them that help is on the way. They take off.

The SAME VSP comes rolling by again and is just stopping by to check in on me. Dude is really cool and is just making sure that I am hanging in there. He takes off and I hear the power that he has under that hood. What a sweet sounding car.

I get a call from Ed saying that he is in New Market and will be where I am shortly. He rolls up at about 6pm and I have been standing...not sitting (the ground is to damn hot) for 2 hours. I am so happy to see him.

We load the bike up in the trailer and I strap her down and head home. We get home at exactly 8pm. What a freaking long, hot as day.

All I can say is that, I was passed by about a billion people and no one stopped except 3 people and one of them stopped by 3 times total. Everyone else...especially the bikers, just keep on rolling by. They would look over at me, but would just roll on by. What a bunch of punks. I'm so glad that when I see a biker on the side of the road, I stop and check in on them. You feel so much better when someone makes sure you are okay or if you need help.

Well, thatís all I got. I want to give a big shout out to my room mate who wouldnít leave me hanging out in the sun and came out and picked me up. Thanks Eduardo Sauvť.

Here are some pics of the bike as it sits on the side of the road roasting in the sun like I was.

(Click on image to make it larger)

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Retired to most ...

June 24, 2007, 02:30 PM

Mike can you come to the shop Tuesday morning with a tire?

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm so tired

June 24, 2007, 02:34 PM

No can do. Gots bills to pay at the end of the month. If I have money left, I will come by with a new tire and rim off the bike. Thanks Johnny.

Myke
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125

R.I.P. my friends;
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#4)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

June 24, 2007, 02:35 PM

I sooooooo have been there.Especially the getting passed by part.I carry a tire repair kit now.I suggest everyone get one,the ones with the CO2 cartridges too.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#5)
I'm so tired

June 24, 2007, 02:35 PM

Nothing could have fixed this unless you have a extra rubber. Its a big hole.

Myke
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125

R.I.P. my friends;
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#6)
Retired to most ...

June 24, 2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRydr
No can do. Gots bills to pay at the end of the month. If I have money left, I will come by with a new tire and rim off the bike. Thanks Johnny.
I'll be out of town all next week for Dereks wedding. Ask for Rocky if you go in next week.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#7)
Spike

June 24, 2007, 03:36 PM

That sux Mike!!! Glad you're ok tho! Now I know why I'm constantly being told not to ride alone. At least if someone was with you, they could have gone to get you water. I would have!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#8)
I'm so tired

June 24, 2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz
That sux Mike!!! Glad you're ok tho! Now I know why I'm constantly being told not to ride alone. At least if someone was with you, they could have gone to get you water. I would have!
I know you would have. Thats cool. I just wanted to get the hell out of there and back home. 2 hours waiting for Ed to come get me and 2 hours to get back home. At least I was out where people drive by. If I was out in the back end trails and twisties...I might still be out there waiting for a ride and trying to explain to someone where I was. I'm just happy to be home now.

So...does anyone know about this other biker that is "down" on 211 today?

Myke
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125

R.I.P. my friends;
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#9)
Still here

June 24, 2007, 04:04 PM

Glad all turned out OK! Next time ask the VSP for some water, as many times as he checked on you I am sure he would've helped you out there!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

June 24, 2007, 07:05 PM

Myke, you really should get a repair kit.
Unread
  (#11)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

June 24, 2007, 08:31 PM

Myke hope your ok bro
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#12)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 24, 2007, 08:44 PM

Of all days... the one Saturday a month that Chris is actually working.
I'm sorry this happened to you, I feel ya! Chris definitely would have picked you up had his car not had issues. Glad you're ok... sorry nobody stopped... maybe they thought you were sight-seeing??

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 24, 2007, 09:03 PM

Myke glad it ended up ok but this is why I carry a kit to repair flats. You would be surprised how small of a kit it is. BTW should have tried me cause I was in Hume and could have come by to try and help!!! I owe you big time anywhoo!!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

June 24, 2007, 09:21 PM

Sorry I wasn't there to help Mikey

I just got your message today. Glad you're ok buddy.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

June 24, 2007, 09:26 PM

Yea, suprisingly no other bikers stopped when my friend went down today on 211 either. In fact while we were trying to get the bike out of the ditch a group of 5 or 6 riders just rolled right past. I guess they didn't want to be around if cops came though or were upset that someone crashed which could cause trouble for all bikers there, but to not stop for a flat or a biker off the side of the road is pretty lame.