DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 572
4 members and 568 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
August Deal's GAP ride report!
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

August Deal's GAP ride report! - August 22, 2007, 12:52 PM

Five states,

a ton of twisties,

and a little gun runnin';

two flat tires,

electrical problems,

and parts flying off the bikes;

one crash,

too many cops,

and 50/50 group batting average for tickets;

a little runnin',

but not enough,

and a visit to the county jail for some;

but it's all good,

it's Deal's Gap.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
ATTN INVESTORS!

August 22, 2007, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 22, 2007, 01:00 PM

The plan was to meet and depart Front Royal at 6am on Thursday and ride down to the Gap. Then, ride around the Gap on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and ride home on Monday.

We forgot to check the weather and started the trip by getting completely soaked. This was actually OK for me, because I just got new armor for my suit that is a little big, so I got a chance to stretch my suit a little.

The plan was to hit as many good roads West of BRP/I81 on our way down, and East of BRP/I81 on our way back. (ride down;ride back)

The roads were predictably awesome. It's hard to go wrong with roads named 'motorcycle playground' in a region that has many 'welcome bikers' signs.

The ride down was exhausting. The temps were in the high 90s. It felt like having a hair dryer in your face. We took a lot of long brakes, so we didn't quite make it to our hotel in Knoxville, TN before dark, but we got very close.

Day 2, 3, 4 - The Gap

The Gap is hot right now and cops are all over the place. They literally have 5-12 cruisers (on a 11 mile road) harassing bikes - and especially sportbikes - almost all day. TN is also expanding operations into other areas, inclusing 421. People are being written BS tickets.

But going to the Gap is not about doing laps at the Gap itself. It's about riding all the good roads in the area. North Carolina and Nothern Georgia are full of great roads and this is why we came here.

Cherahola riding tips... This is where the first tickets were issued. We were riding in 2 groups. The first group (including myself) was warned my other bikers of PO ahead.
We slowed down, saw the PO at an overlook giving some other bikes tickets, hit a few turns slow, and then it was back to business. But somehow, the group behind us got caught anyway. They were blocked in by 3 police cars
and 5-6 people were issued speeding tickets.

Keep in mind that all we saw was one cop car. I have no idea where the other 2 came from. We must've gotten really lucky to miss the other 2 cop cars.

Instructor Stan;

This is what a bike shop SHOULD be. Good service, good selection of items, good prices, chain lube, visor cleaners, bike wash, pressure hose, etc for anyone to use. I was tempted to wash my bike, but I resisted. My bar end fell out (for the 2nd time) on the Centralia ride, and this is where I got a replacement.

On top of Fontana Dam..

We still managed to hit the Gap late in day. Around 7-8pm, the cops would go home, but I never actually got a clean fast run while I was there. Anyway, here's some pics...

Tree of Shame;

Buy your genuine Dragon water here...

As well as the Dragon Hot Sauce, and anything else you can slap a Dragon logo on...

Nothern Georgia/Blood Mtn/Wolf Pen's Gap

We hit alot of good spots on our trip. A couple more guys joined up with us down there.

Lenny's Place... a really good place to stop near Wolf Pen's Gap. Excellent BBQ.

It's on this day that my luck started to run out.... We are riding on a particularly sweet road getting our lean on, and all of the sudden, as I exit a turn I see something bounce off the ground and fly straight at me. I duck and miss it by 2 feet or so. It turns out that the rider in front of me lost his frame slider. I felt pretty lucky, and invited him to my Lost Engine Bolt Club.

Later on, I'm hitting some twisties right before the Gap, and my bike seems weird. It felt like I was going through some small rumble strips when I would exit some corners, and I would also run bad lines. (instead of going wide, I would apex too early)
I thought it might be poor pavement, and me just getting tired and blowing lines. I get to the Gap, and guess what... I have a completely flat tire. We got it plugged, but the edge of the tire was cusped and kind of messed up. (I will post in the Tech section about this)

I tried to get a replacement at Wheelers, but never made it there when he was open. So we did a night run on the Dragon, and went home.

After this run, we start heading back to the hotel in Knoxville. 25 miles from the hotel, my gauges start to cut out. My bike eventually dies. It's an electrical issue. I pull all the fuses, and try to limp along the shoulder without any lights. It worked for a little while, but then even the engine wouldn't run properly, and I was able to ride at max 10mph, then max 5mph, and then the bike wouldn't ride at all. Thankfully some guys trailered to the Gap.

I am pretty sure it's just my battery, but it's possible it's a weak alternator as well. It didn't matter anymore for me. I got a new battery, but my ride was over anyway. My rear tire was not only plugged, but weirdly cusped at the edges, and the thread is mostly gone from the edges anyway. The ride home would be about 700miles. I could probably baby it home, but what fun is that. So I took the trailer instead.

In terms of crashes, we had one small crash in our group. It was in a 'good' turn to go wide. When we were at Blood Mountain, it looks like some other rider went off the cliff at the very crest of he mountain. We passed the acciddent scene and soon saw a ton of emergency vehicles responding to this accident. That looked like a really bad place to crash. I tried searching
online to see what happened but I couldn't find anything. Are there any Nothern Georgia/Atlanta sportbike forums out there?

Add your story to this report...

Rest of the PICS!

http://witold.org/photos/motorcycle/...16_20dealsgap/
Unread
  (#4)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

August 22, 2007, 01:09 PM

Great Pics Witold.. Nice recap (minus some unmentionable shenanigans).. Big thanks to Stan for putting this trip together and to all of the guys for making this a truly remarkable adventure for me.. Can't wait for next year. For those of you who hemmed and hawed about going along... you need to clear your calender for Aug '08.

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
Unread
  (#5)
singin sweet home alabama

August 22, 2007, 01:31 PM

Crap, this came and went and I didn't even realize.

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a good time even with the unfortunate events.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

August 22, 2007, 01:45 PM

Great read. Nice write-up. sounds like an awesome trip. Now tells us how you guys ended up in the slammer!!

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

August 22, 2007, 01:51 PM

jealous

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

August 22, 2007, 02:04 PM

Great pix, and a nice write-up. I would love to go next year!
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 22, 2007, 02:32 PM

What I really want to know is, how are those MotoGP leathers...

...in the slammer?

Sounds like a great trip!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy

August 22, 2007, 02:36 PM

Good times. Thanks for sharing!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#11)
Resident Rodent

August 22, 2007, 02:41 PM

Nice, Vito!

I'm on like my 3rd left bar end, too. They just won't stay in.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

August 22, 2007, 02:42 PM

Witold,

Thanks for doing the trip report.... It's a great write up... Also want to send big thanks to everyone who went on this trip.... You made all the planning for this trip worth it.... I had a blast. I can't wait till next year...

Stan
Unread
  (#13)
Brainwash Your Face!

August 22, 2007, 02:44 PM

<-----soooo jealous

Amazing write up!

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

August 22, 2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan55
Witold,

Thanks for doing the trip report.... It's a great write up... Also want to send big thanks to everyone who went on this trip.... You made all the planning for this trip worth it.... I had a blast. I can't wait till next year...

Stan
I know you took pics too. Post up. Write up the last day.
Unread
  (#15)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

August 22, 2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
What I really want to know is, how are those MotoGP leathers...

...in the slammer?

Sounds like a great trip!
LOVE the MotoGP leathers.. I lived in 'em for 5 days.. 2800 miles. Some UnderArmor underneath and you're good to go.

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.