DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 652
6 members and 646 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, Heist, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike in VB
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Bike in VB - June 5, 2007, 03:40 PM

Ok, so last weekend I took a ride to Virginia Beach. I did the responsable thing and checked the weather report and it said there was a 20% chance of rain on Sunday, so I hopped on my bike and took the 4 hr. ride to VA Bch with my wife following in the car. First of all Sport Bikes are VERY uncomfortable after about the first hour and a half of riding so my butt started hurting around Fredricksburg but it wasn't too bad and we were moving along at about 90mph so I figured I would be ok to deal till it slowed down. About half way around 295 toards 64 my freaking legs started to cramp, Oh my god! I think this was about the only time I had ever wished there was traffic on my way to Virginia Beach, not to mention I was having to speed up and let go of the gas just so i could sit up to relieve some of the pressure on my back and arms. My hands were so numb I couldn't feel anything from the elbow down! Of corse we were still moving about 95 mph so I figured something was going to happen to stop us dead in our tracks at any moment.

When we finally got on to 64 we stopped at the first rest stop we came across, by this time my butt was so sore from sitting and sweating on the seat that it actually hurt to get off the bike! I hadn't even gotten off the bike before she was standing next to me laughing at how miserable I was! (She hates my motorcycle and refuses to get on it or any other one for that matter.) I growled at her and limped to the bathroom. About 35 minutes later my butt had quit throbbing enough to get back on the bike and finish what was left of a 4 hr. ride. Hampton Roads has the worst streets you can imagine! the interstate had bike ramps every 200 ft. that would send me flying into the air only to land squarely on my butt...... I winced with pain every time I went over one. Shortly after we reached our destination in 3.5 hrs doing 90-100 mph. the whole way, with the flow of traffic of corse.

The next day.... My father had arranged for us to take a ride to Currituck Ferry in North Carolina, not that it is real far away, but my dad and his friends ride Harleys and don't know how to ride in a pack. Instead of riding together they just kinda ride in the same general direction and don't really pay attention to what is going on behind them. I was going crazy trying to ride on one side or the other of whoever the hell was in front of me. One of the guys when he lead wouldn't pick a side of the road to ride on and would signal his intent to change lanes 10 min. prior to actually doing so. This guy drove me up a whole different kind of wall. The only one out of them that could ride was this guy with a Aprilla sport cruzer. He lead for about 30 min. before all the other fogeys started complaining that they were being left. these guys had 1300ccs and were complaining that my little 600 was leaving them. they may as well have been on 250s! To say the least, it was a very frustrating ride.

Sunday..... I awoke to rain. It rained all day so I decided to leave my bike there in my dad's garage till I could come back and get it on the 15th of this month. It has been 2 days without my bike and I am going out of my mind! I MISS MY BIKE!!!! I want to ride so bad it isn't funny!!! But that was my weekend, at least I know when I go to pick up my bike 1. plan more stops on the way back. and 2. Don't go on a fogey ride.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#2)
06 GSXR 750

June 5, 2007, 03:55 PM

I am from VB and enjoy the ride down. Was this your first long ride? You should look into a gel seat.

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to VMIGIXXER  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 5, 2007, 03:58 PM

yeah it was my first ride that far, but i usually spend all day on my bike and don't have a problem. i don't know why three and a half hours kicked my ass. i have thought about a gel seat before but didnt think i needed one, where can i get them quickly?

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 5, 2007, 04:17 PM

That's a good girl ya got there. If I told my girl that she had to follow alone and in the car because I was riding my bike to the beach she would laugh in my face and tell me to get in the car. In fact, we are going to OBX this weekend...needless to say we are taking her car

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
06 GSXR 750

June 5, 2007, 04:18 PM

http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yr63f.shtml

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to VMIGIXXER  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 5, 2007, 04:44 PM

This is one of those times where I can say Im glad I got a VFR. Can you say sport Touring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 5, 2007, 06:01 PM

duplicate!

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

June 5, 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal
That's a good girl ya got there. If I told my girl that she had to follow alone and in the car because I was riding my bike to the beach she would laugh in my face and tell me to get in the car. In fact, we are going to OBX this weekend...needless to say we are taking her car
she tried, but she was going down for a different reason than I was. (My parents gave her a $7000.00 lazer hair removal package that can only be used down there.)

Unread
  (#9)
PewPew

June 5, 2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6speed
yeah it was my first ride that far, but i usually spend all day on my bike and don't have a problem. i don't know why three and a half hours kicked my ass. i have thought about a gel seat before but didnt think i needed one, where can i get them quickly?
Hwy riding is a totally different ballgame from riding the mountains on a sportbike.

I second the suggestion of buying a gel seat. It'll help, but in the end nothing changes the stress it puts on your right wrist. It's just an unavoidable occurance from long riding.

My point is, suck it up or don't do it. That simple

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#10)
Chupathingy?

June 5, 2007, 07:59 PM

I was in Hampton at my brothers house for our annual bday get-ta-gether. We rode around there and Norfolk Saturday on his old Kaw LTDs. nice weather, and think everyone we saw was a squid. Yeah its muggy but comon.
Was thinking once my bike is back up I might do a ride down there.

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#11)
Largely Unsupervised....

June 5, 2007, 09:25 PM

Besides a gel seat, there's a couple other things you can do for longer trips:

1) anti "monkey butt" powder helps keep your butt dryer (which causes most of the soreness.
2) bicycle shorts under your leathers/pants will "wick" most of the moisture away and keep you from getting so sore.
3 an "Airhawk" (air bladder) seat cushion will keep your butt cooler and provides a cushion of air to sit on.
...of course a lot of Long Distance (LD) riders swear by the tried and true wooly sheepskin seat covers.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 6, 2007, 01:42 PM

nice, thanks for the suggestions, I am going back down on the 15th to get the bike. i hope it doesn't rain again, but until i get that gel seat I am going to have to just deal.

Unread
  (#13)
Chupathingy?

June 6, 2007, 01:51 PM

anit monkey butt powder is great for everything... my company sells that stuff in cases!

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#14)
Let's not talk politics.

June 7, 2007, 12:43 AM

thanks for your story. my folks live down in suffolk and i have always bee curious as to what the ride would be like on the interstate.

I'd be curious to hear how things went for folks who take route 17 to get down there.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to R6G8R Send a message via Skype™ to R6G8R 
Unread
  (#15)
Fair Weather Fan

June 7, 2007, 08:43 AM

R6Speed, don't know if you have ever riden a dirt bike before, but if you aren't fearful of it, stetch out your legs during the ride. Not only by kicking your legs out while sitting down, but stand on the pegs for a few seconds. It really helps with keeping the bloodflow going.

I've riden to VaBeach a couple times. I recommend stopping every 2 hours or less. Doesn't have to be a rest stop, just a gas station to get off your butt for a few minutes and get a drink.

Senatus PopolusQue Romanus
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbait Send a message via AIM to Sharkbait