DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
5 members and 568 guests
2blueyam, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
DC to Myrtle Beach, SC
Unread
  (#1)
IYS
always getting rained on

DC to Myrtle Beach, SC - June 18, 2007, 09:38 AM

My father wanted to do a long haul from DC to Myrtle for Father's Day so that's what we did. We actually started from just outside of Landover, MD, where the Redskins stadium is. He rode an 06 Yamaha V-Star 1100 and I was on my 750 Gix.

We left on Saturday between 7:30 and 8am. The trip was smooth and the 750 was comfortable enough. Several fueling/stretching stops were made (4) and one stop for food so we got there in about 9 hours (a little after 5pm). For any trip longer than this one, I'd probably break it up in to two or more days or at least have a stop for a few hours but I made it there and back with energy to spare.

Only thing that actually bothered me about the trip is that the V-Star only has about a 3 gallon tank so we were stopping every 120 or so miles. Maybe that's what kept me from getting sore though... I dunno. Good trip though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

June 18, 2007, 10:51 AM

Ow. I've done that ride one-way. (Myrtle beach to DC) and I have to tell you that I would never do it again. Maybe if my bike had cruise control. But I found just about every position available for putting my feet (out of need to stretch & boredom). Front framesliders, rear passenger footpegs.. whatever!

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
IYS
always getting rained on

June 18, 2007, 11:10 AM

Yea I thought about getting a throttle lock for the trip. I should've bought it but I survived without it. I agree with you though, won't do another long trip without it.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 18, 2007, 06:43 PM

sounds fun, i did from VB to centreville on sunday, nice ride though.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 18, 2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Ow. I've done that ride one-way. (Myrtle beach to DC) and I have to tell you that I would never do it again. Maybe if my bike had cruise control. But I found just about every position available for putting my feet (out of need to stretch & boredom). Front framesliders, rear passenger footpegs.. whatever!
did that a while back. wasn't really a fun trip. one buddy got a flat in NC and all the shops closed at noon. put fix a flat in, called the ladies to pull off and wait for us on the side of 95. loaded his and me and his brother finished it up. OBX is about the perfect trip though.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#6)
F4iGuy

June 19, 2007, 07:07 AM

Damn and I was whining about 30 miles out to Centreville! Hahahahahaha
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
IYS
always getting rained on

June 19, 2007, 02:57 PM

It would have been a lot better if I were riding with some other sport bikes or at least a cruiser with a larger fuel tank. Other than that, and maybe a throttlemeister, it was a cool trip.

http://www.throttlemeister.com/

I could see it being messed up if anything like a flat tire happened. I probably would've been against ever taking another long trip if that had happened.
Unread
  (#8)
MD in a VA biased board

June 21, 2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYS
It would have been a lot better if I were riding with some other sport bikes or at least a cruiser with a larger fuel tank. Other than that, and maybe a throttlemeister, it was a cool trip.

http://www.throttlemeister.com/

I could see it being messed up if anything like a flat tire happened. I probably would've been against ever taking another long trip if that had happened.
nah, 100-120 miles is a good length to stop & stretch. don't want to get like tunnel vision or anything.

Blue '05 SV650S
Quote:
Newfoundland is like calling a place Untitled Document.
i bet its the default name for discovered land
and they just clicked Ok
now all other countries have to start out as Newfoundland 2
Unread
  (#9)
Knarly Adventurer

June 21, 2007, 03:32 PM

First year to VIR in '05... from Poughkeepsie, NY
9 hours on the R1!

Last summer... Frederick, MD - to - Columbia, SC
(about 100 south of Myrtel Beach)
1020 mls round trip... 24 hours! woohoo!

Getting an FJR over the winter for obvious reasons.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
IYS
always getting rained on

June 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

One more note... AVOID the Sleep Inn down there.

108 Waccamaw Pines Dr.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
(843) 236-0102

I go and check my credit card statement today and these bastards have over charged my card damn near $500. I called them this morning telling them I want that charge removed and the first guy I talk to is like "Yea the extra charges are right, you stained the carpet, we got reports of people climbing in and out of the window, and the window is damaged!!"

I'm like WTF!?!? The only people in the room were me and my father who is damn near 60! We came off of a 9 hours ride on motorcycles... Who the hell is going to be climbing in and out of windows?! Then the guy is like there's nothing I can do. You'll have to call back in a couple hours and speak to the manager.

All of this is crazy and I want ALL of my money back.

I finally get the manager on the phone and talk to him about everything. He adds on that there is damage to the A/C unit! I'm like what the hell is going on!? Do they have the wrong room or something!!? I state my case and he says he'll see what he can do and that he'll call be back in 5 to 10 minutes.

Over 40 minutes go by and I call the place back even more pissed. Where the hell is the professionalism? If I commit to calling someone back in 5 to 10 minutes by telling them that I will, then I call them back in 5 to 10 minutes. If I can't do it then I have someone else call them and let them know that I'm busy and will call them as soon as I can. It takes about 20-30 seconds to do that...

I call the hotel and eventually get the manager back on the phone; he agrees to remove the extra charges but not the charge for the room. Don't get me wrong I understand that a business has to make money to stay open and for people to keep their jobs, but I don't appreciate being charged extra and being accused of doing something I didn't when at best it was one of the housekeeping people who overlooked something or even damaged the place themselves. I damn sure didn't notice any stains or damaged windows, the A/C worked just fine while there and when we left, and I DAMN sure wasn't climbing through any windows.

Tell me that wasn't a piss poor customer experience and that I don't deserve a FULL refund... Maybe I'm just too upset right now to be rational about it all but I feel I'm being COMPLETLEY rational and logical despite being PISSED THE FUCK OFF. Give me my damn money and screw the Myrtle Beach Sleep Inn!
Unread
  (#11)
MD in a VA biased board

June 22, 2007, 05:48 PM

hell yea, they tried to scam u man. i would try to get all the money back too after they did all that. they were obviously in the wrong if they eventually decided to refund the extra charges. it will probably be hard to get them to give all the money back over the phone (especially for a small establishment like that...which is trying to keep all the money they can).

Blue '05 SV650S
Quote:
Newfoundland is like calling a place Untitled Document.
i bet its the default name for discovered land
and they just clicked Ok
now all other countries have to start out as Newfoundland 2