DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 184
3 members and 181 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
First ride in 3 years... 4/21/11
Unread
  (#1)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

Thumbs up First ride in 3 years... 4/21/11 - April 22, 2011, 12:28 AM

Been a while since I've ridden. I just purchased my bike this past weekend and picked it up tonight. Rode with new helmet/jacket/gloves/boots... I'm actually glad helmets are required in VA and not "optional" like they were back in Indiana/Ohio.

Kept it at or under the speed limit the roughly 10 miles home down Gallows Rd and Little River Turnpike. Stopped in time for some last second red lights - the vehicles around me were good about not cutting me off or anything. I don't expect I'll be that lucky every day. I bought my bike A) because I missed riding and B) because I'd like to hop on the HOV when I move down to Woodbridge but need to commute back up to Annandale and Pentagon City.

I know I need to put many more miles on over the next few weeks before I begin commuting daily. I guess the real test will be taking it on the HOV?

I'm planning on signing up for an MSF course this summer/fall, but any advice for a new-again rider?

I:
  • fixed my mirrors before leaving
  • kept RPMs/speed low and slow
  • didn't grip the front brake too tight
  • didn't throw the rear brake on in a turn
  • remembered to turn off my signals after turning
  • raised off the seat slightly on potholes/speedbumps
  • kept my visor down, despite not having worn a helmet in a while
I don't want a cookie, I just want any adivce/reminders of the small things I might have forgotten.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ton Up!

April 22, 2011, 12:48 AM

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#3)
Ton Up!

April 22, 2011, 12:49 AM

If you gotta brake in a turn, rear brake is the best option.

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#4)
T.R.I.T.D.H

April 22, 2011, 08:40 AM

I think riding a bike is pretty much like riding a bicycle, you never really forget HOW to do it. But I don't know, the longest I've never ridden a bike is only a few months.

I would however say that the X Factor in riding a bike in this area (or any) is not just "re-familiarizing" yourself with the bike BUT remembering that traffic is ALSO unpredictable. So I would always keep PREDICTING WHAT COULD HAPPEN AS I RIDE. For the cars immediately surrounding you to the cars up ahead at intersections or parked on the side of the road, ALWAYS PREDICT WHAT THEY COULD DO and HAVE AN ESCAPE ROUTE.

This has always helped me stay alert and on my toes. Typically when you fail to predict what a car/truck is going to do to your space as a rider, the end result, if you miss that prediction, is generally an accident. Most times there is usually something different the rider could have done to prevent the collision EVEN IF the rider isn't at fault.

That would be my only "advisory" tip to you as you get back into riding. Other than that ENJOY!!!

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 22, 2011, 08:43 AM

^^^ Scratch that advice (about rear braking in a turn)... Since you're back in "noob" mode, when you gotta brake in a turn take the bike out of the turn and into straight up mode and jam on the front break while moving straight forward. You can go back into lean position after you're back to a safe/desired speed. Do not use any breaks while in the turn whenever possible. Be hyper aware of not pitting yourself in a situation that might potentially force you to grab some breaks while turning.

My reminder advice is to make 100% sure your kickstand is down and secure. Worst thing that can happen to your new bike is for it to drop while it's stopped.

2nd reminder advice, when roads are a bit wet be careful of the painted white lines on the road, particularly the big arrows. Don't use your front brake very hard when going over those.
Unread
  (#6)
Air-Cooled Goodness

April 22, 2011, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the new bike! Weren't you originally considering a 250, but ended up with a 1125R? Check out Taty's noob ride next month, until then maybe i'll see you on 395 HOV

-Tommy
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

April 22, 2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
^^^ Scratch that advice (about rear braking in a turn)... Since you're back in "noob" mode, when you gotta brake in a turn take the bike out of the turn and into straight up mode and jam on the front break while moving straight forward. You can go back into lean position after you're back to a safe/desired speed. Do not use any breaks while in the turn whenever possible. Be hyper aware of not pitting yourself in a situation that might potentially force you to grab some breaks while turning.

My reminder advice is to make 100% sure your kickstand is down and secure. Worst thing that can happen to your new bike is for it to drop while it's stopped.

2nd reminder advice, when roads are a bit wet be careful of the painted white lines on the road, particularly the big arrows. Don't use your front brake very hard when going over those.
This. Don't use your rear brake, and definitely don't use it in the middle of a turn for crying out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#8)

April 22, 2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
I think riding a bike is pretty much like riding a bicycle, you never really forget HOW to do it.
Yeah, I rode in this morning. Got a bit more comfortable with shifting my weight / leaning for turns, and watching for other cars and trying to predict what they'll do. Even though it's been a while since my last bike, riding has made me an even better car/truck driver by looking far ahead and keeping my head on a swivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Worst thing that can happen to your new bike is for it to drop while it's stopped.
Or have it stolen? No, I get you about the kickstand. But I did wake up in the middle of the night after having a dream that my new bike was stolen. Gotta look into a few security things for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Congrats on the new bike! Weren't you originally considering a 250, but ended up with a 1125R? Check out Taty's noob ride next month, until then maybe i'll see you on 395 HOV
Yes, the 250R was much too small. The 650R I was strongly considering, but then I found a great deal on my '09 Buell 1125CR. I always wanted a Buell when the Firebolts and Lightnings were around, and I fell in love with the CR after seeing it's unique look, hearing the engine, and... I don't know it's just a perfect fit / bike for me. I know there's plenty of "oomph" to kill myself on, so I'm keeping the speed and RPMs slow and low. Hopefully I won't use/need wide-open-throttle anytime soon.
Unread
  (#9)

April 22, 2011, 09:09 AM

So less than 900 miles, ~$1000 Drummer exhaust, transferrable warranty until Oct '12, both keys, service records, title, manual, brochure, etc. The owner babied this girl.

A few quick pics I snapped last night of the bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McFly-Buell1.jpg (65.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg McFly-Buell2.jpg (68.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg McFly-Buell4.jpg (73.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg McFLy-Buell3.jpg (38.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg McFly-Buell5.jpg (53.9 KB, 120 views)
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

April 22, 2011, 09:24 AM

Congrats on getting back on two, sounds like you're off to a great (re)start.

I was out of riding for a long time and got back into a few years back. Best decision I ever made.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

April 22, 2011, 10:50 AM

Noice bike.

Little things..... park diagnol to curb with back wheel touching....... stop directly ahead of driver behind you at stoplights (so he sees you!!)...... move to Maryland
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#12)

April 22, 2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
stop directly ahead of driver behind you at stoplights (so he sees you!!)
What do you mean? Like in the left 1/3rd of the lane? Or did you mean when I'm behind someone, be centered behind them so they can see me in the rearview? Or behind their left tail-light so they can see me in the side-view mirror?
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

April 22, 2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
What do you mean? Like in the left 1/3rd of the lane? Or did you mean when I'm behind someone, be centered behind them so they can see me in the rearview? Or behind their left tail-light so they can see me in the side-view mirror?
yeah, left 3rd. Don't think someone told me in MSF, but my buddy swears by it since he got rear ended by some yuppie douche in Columbia.

Idea is, when car is pulling up behind you at stoplight, he will defintley see you if you're directly in front of the driver's seat.

I hope the 1125 isn't your first bike...although my 984 was mine.... dumb idea in hindsight but it's too late now

Also.. Buell Forum, Buell Motorcycle Information, Tech Support, Photos, Performance Parts, & Advice - BadWeB for Buell shiz
Unread
  (#14)

April 22, 2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
I hope the 1125 isn't your first bike...although my 984 was mine.... dumb idea in hindsight but it's too late now
Nope not my first. First was a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600S. Nice and heavy, a little underpowered, comfy, a great learning bike. I then borrowed a few friends bikes a few weeks at a time - 2007 GSX-R 600, 2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R.

I was initially looking at the Ninja 250R. I'm just too big for that bike. Then I started looking at the new Ninja 650R. Would have been a good bike, no doubt, but I've always dreamed of owning a Buell and I got this bike on a very good deal.

I'm just very respectful of the power the 1125 has and I'm going very easy on the right hand.
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

April 22, 2011, 12:16 PM

Welcome to the dark side

Uncle Sam thanks you as well