DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 633
4 members and 629 guests
car54, davidcycle, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help A Brotha OUT !!!
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Help A Brotha OUT !!! - March 23, 2008, 09:10 PM

So I'm still at the begining of my love affair with my 05 R6. Took her for my fourth ride and 1st real expedition. I live in DC so roads to ride are near none, so I went north of Georgetown and made a left on MacAuthor (sp) took that out past Clara Barton Parkway and deep into MD. I'm still a newish rider so I'm still taking it pretty easy but I tried to push it a little bit today. I thought I was riding kinda hard a couple times until I noticed that I never got the bike over 8k rpm and never went past 3rd gear.Am I not riding right or is my bike really so badass that I need to find clearer roads to really ride it? Where can I find these roads? Where can I ride hard nad be sure that I ain't gonna run into Molly Minivan and her distracting kids?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

March 23, 2008, 09:14 PM

I think you did just fine. You came back in one piece so what does it matter? My bike doesn't go much above 8k rpms as a constant but then I don't stay under 4th gear either. Maybe it was just the roads you are on. Also, keep in mind you need to be smooth first, speed will follow.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
Brainwash Your Face!

March 23, 2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz
You came back in one piece so what does it matter? keep in mind you need to be smooth first, speed will follow.
Yeah, what she said.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#4)
Far from a rookie!!!!!

March 23, 2008, 09:30 PM

yea anytime you comeback n one piece is GREAT trust me my boy didn't comeback from our 2nd ride back in 99

James

Joe Rocket Whore

Why your man acting like secret service??? I'm going to get you alone and get my secret serviced!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boogie_gsxr26 Send a message via AIM to boogie_gsxr26  
Unread
  (#5)

March 23, 2008, 09:32 PM

It probably doesn't sound like it but it's not the speed I'm really after. I want space to get smooth I need roads to get used to my bike. I live in DC so if I ride around town and get over 30 miles per hour I'm asking for touble. Just looking for places to go ride on outside the city that aren't straight.

By the by how do I get smooth?
Unread
  (#6)
Spike

March 23, 2008, 09:44 PM

With practice. Don't freeze up and get on the brakes, don't be shakey through turns and don't park it in the turn then try to race out of it. Go in smooth, hold your speed and start to accelerate after the apex of the turn.

When/if Rronin posts a newbie ride in MD, make it a point to ride it!!! He'll help you a LOT in working on technique and body positioning. If he can't teach you, you will never learn!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#7)

March 23, 2008, 09:53 PM

I'll keep an eye out.

Thx
Unread
  (#8)
singin sweet home alabama

March 23, 2008, 10:22 PM

Look for some of the rides that will be posted around here as warm weather finally shows up. They usually won't mention specific routes but there will be meeting places and from there these people will generally show you the most of the good roads. Also as more people get to know you they'll let you in on some of the lesser known good roads.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#9)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 23, 2008, 10:29 PM

Being smooth comes with time. Look for noob rides and let the person leading and others know that you are new to riding. people will be happy to help you out.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#10)
Mr. Glass

March 23, 2008, 10:33 PM

take it easy, have fun, fuck everyone else.. ride for yourself.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#11)
Knee Draggin!

March 23, 2008, 10:34 PM

never got passed third gear? what was your top speed? It doesnt hurt to shift up a gear even if your revs are only at 3k or something. r6 is easy to wheelie too, so staying out of the low gears and high revs is recommended (for now).

ride the clutch if you wanna be smooth... eventually you get used to it and before you know it you won't be riding the clutch. also, you probably don't want to practice on curvy roads if you're trying to be smooth. Practice on straight roads with stoplights first. Thats lotsa stop and go practice for you. if you're in maryland, get on indian head highway... Eventually, you'll love that road if you like impromptu races and wheelies. haha. jk. wheelies r stoopid.

and you know the regular stuff... look through the turn... look to the spot where you want the bike to go, not at the guardrail that is about to kick your ass.... stay out of blind spots... everyone is out there to kill you. and uh... u shud goto the bike nights. lotta noob rides posted on this site. i think there is one beginning of next month that is sposd to be chill. They go on curvy roads too, so u can get your fix on those rides.

p.s. looking back at my post, i see its kinda basic stuff. not sure if this was what you had in mind... hopefully it helps.

i dont care

Last edited by BJtheFlip; March 23, 2008 at 10:39 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 23, 2008, 10:40 PM

1) Look for posts for the Spot
2) What Jtatooz said
3) Twist of the Wrist Book
4) Check the Wulf Pak Rydaz Section
5) Don't get ticket and wear your gear.

More to come while at the SPOT

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#13)
idiot

June 5, 2008, 04:17 AM

Well I don't ride (yet), but if you're all the way to Clara Barton in Potomac, you might as well head up River to where it gets country-ish. Plenty of straight road and turns. I drive up there with my friends a bunch. Only thing you need to look out for is deer.

It's where I will be practicing for the freeway once I pick up my 636 since there is rarely any traffic save rush hour.

But then again, I'm pretty new to bikes so I'd just listen to the experienced riders here.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

June 5, 2008, 06:21 AM

next time I post an all day ride chime in I will garentee nothing but twisties for 6 hours. When you are on my ride you must have self control. I will blast the corners so dont try to keep up. Just ride your own ride and Ill wait at the end of the road.
Unread
  (#15)
( * )|( * )

June 5, 2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetomi
I thought I was riding kinda hard a couple times until I noticed that I never got the bike over 8k rpm and never went past 3rd gear.Am I not riding right or is my bike really so badass that I need to find clearer roads to really ride it?
05 R6 is happy when you push the bike...something you cannot do on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetomi
Where can I find these roads? Where can I ride hard nad be sure that I ain't gonna run into Molly Minivan and her distracting kids?
These roads can be found at the following tracks locally:

Summit Point

VIR

Take the bike there and you'll begin to realize the potential...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year