DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
5 members and 557 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Heist, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Memorial Day Ride to Deepest Darkest WV
Unread
  (#1)
Now Riding Red

Memorial Day Ride to Deepest Darkest WV - May 28, 2008, 01:54 PM

Took a long ride this weekend on Sat/Sun out to curve country in WV.

Memorial Day Weekend 2008
(To give the real impact of the roads I traveled you need to pull up google in another window.. open maps and switch on satellite view. Then enter the names of the towns I passed thru.)
I had not initially planned to take a trip anywhere but on Friday I was talking to Charlie and I happend to look on weather.com at the upcoming weather for the weekend and saw that Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon were going to be progressively sunnier each day.
That was all I needed to see to have a plan form for my trip to Point Mountain (no. thats not like candy mountain).
I made some mental notes and plans for the trip and then carried on with my day.
Saturday Morning. 07:30 Alarm goes off.. SNOOZE
08:05 OK OK I'm up! Shower Dress in shorts and pack my backpack real quick and head out to the storage place where I keep my bike.
Pull the bike out prep, warm up. Gear up in the HG leather pants and the HJC yellow/black jacket and the Teknic gloves.
Wanted to take my camera but couldnt find it so there are no pics.
Headed out of town on i66 west. Traffic was light so I zoomed it when I could.
Got to i81 and headed south to Strasburg, VA and got on 55 heading West.
Nice drive but nothing fantastic. Once near Moorefield it turns into this beautiful Autobahn looking highway with NO traffic. ZOOM ZOOM.
Moorefield to Petersburg on 220
Petersburg to Seneca Rocks on 28.. ZZZZZZZZZ
Seneca Rocks to Harman to Elkins on 33. This was quite fun and they have more of that Autobahn stuff.
Elkins to Valley Head on 219 South. Scenic but dull.
Valley Head. Here we have the reason I originally bought my bike.
Point Mountain.
Up the road to Monterville.. curves. on to Waneta.. more curves...Woodzell.. OMG curves.. Ralph.. OMFG more curves.. and arrive at Cherry Falls outside Webster Springs.
Awesome curves but the road surface was not that great. Gravel in most turns right where YOU wanna be. Chuck holes and bad cracks and tons of shade for all of this to hide in. The curves were very awesome tho and I was happy to have made the trip. Had my one scare on the trip when I was eyeballing the side of the road looking for a landmark and almost left blacktop... cold sweat for a moment.
Distance so far... 250 miles.
Stayed at my Uncle's house in Parcoal (below Ralph) and just chilled and relaxed for the night. Sunday was gonna be a doozie.
Sunday
I left around 11am and headed out the way I came in.
At this time the World Championship Wood Chopping festival is happening in Webster Springs.
No cars. No cops. No remorse. ZOOM
Going out on Point Mountain was much more fun. I was rested and ready to haul ass.
Got to Valley head pretty quickly and turned South on 219.
I went south on 219 a few miles and turned onto 66 (old historic 66) East.
This leads to Snow Shoe ski resort.. via the back way.
Even the satellite map cannot do justice to how insane this road is. Curves upon curves.
Snow Shoe is around 4,000 feet up and the ride down the east side of the mountain is an E ticket!
Follwed 66 til it hit 28 and I turned northward thru Green Bank.
Nice country ride. I saw 10 to 1 bikes over cars this entire time in WV. They were everywhere. Every gas station had 10 bikes filling, cleaning, resting. It was awesome. HD is selling the crap out of touring bikes..
And now. The life changing part of the trip. 250 East. OMFG this was by far the most amazing thing I've ever done. This road was designed by some psychotic cow following engineer who must have owned an asphalt company and wanted to see how many square miles of mountainside he could plaster blacktop on.
250 from Green Bank to Staunton was 67 miles of curves. Yeah there were a few straight spots but I spent more time leaning and flipping than I did cruising.
Fron Staunton I followed i81 both on and off 81 back to i66 east and to home.
My ass was sooo sore from the vibration of the seat that It hurt to sit for the next 2 days.
I had a vertigo feeling when I got off the bike from having spent so many hours weaving and bobbing and bouncing and shaking.
This weekend was THE reason I own a bike and I can't wait to make another trip to 250 in WV.
I met some bikers at one stop and a guy told me that 33 is equally as sick as 250 so I'm thinking a 33/250 trip is in order this summer.
Total distance traveled 556 miles.
Thanks for taking the time to read my trip log and I hope you enjoyed it and it provides you with some useful or informative info on places to ride.
[sattelite pictures of some of the curves]

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M

Last edited by j-skid; May 29, 2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: link was not working right
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to