DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
5 members and 583 guests
2blueyam, 2wheelin, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Monday ride report - To the spot, to summit, and home.
Unread
  (#1)
Triple Secks

Monday ride report - To the spot, to summit, and home. - May 27, 2008, 12:05 PM

First, big thanks to Nubbs for setting up the noob ride.

Got up at 7am. Got my pack ready. Shoes, sunscreen, water, food. Room mate decided to bail on the ride with me so i was gonna have to fly solo. i came real close to just caging it, i didn't - it was the right choice.

Toss the gear on, left at 7;45am, got to the spot in herndon at 9.

The ride was really smooth for the most part. There was no traffic - i didn't hit a SINGLE light going down rt 29 to 495. I did have an incident on the Dulles toll road. I was pacing a SUV at close to the speed limit after having seen a cop pull someone over, and going through a speed trap myself. To the right of the SUV was another vehicle. My left wrist was aching from lifting/golf the day before and i decided to rest it on my leg. No sooner than i do that, the SUV in front of me brakes really hard.

I'm all and grab a handful of brake. The SUV swerves left. Then i see it, a gaggle of fcking geese decided to cross the road. Lazy fuckers had to walk across instead of fly. GG. My heart skipped a beat, but i managed to avoid the walking poultry, and the rear end of the SUV. I think the SUV missed the geese by about 3-4 feet, and they seemed unaffected by the close encounter. Crazy. I thought it might be a pre-courser of bad luck, when i got to starbucks i emailed the wife to make sure she kept her cell phone on today in case something happened.

Got to the spot early, which was good. Took about an hour to get there and my left knee always gets really stuff. My cheeks werent as bad as i thought they'd be but they hurt a bit.

People started showing up around 9;30. i'm not a big talker to begin with, but seem to talk much less around groups of people i dont know well. I try to make sure i introduce myself to w/e shows up. I met a lot of people i recognized from the board.

45 minutes later someone realizes my bike is a 250. Damn it the secret is out!

Took awhile for us to head out, but i was glad for the extended break between rides. I generally dont do a lot of long intervals on the bike. I totally forgot to take pics. ;(

The Ride out!

Nudista and Nubbs schooled me on hand signals. Which i promptly forgot. They broke my group ride cherry, they were gentle with me. Hopefully i did ok, anyone feel free to criticize if you noticed me doing something incorrectly!

The ride out was a lot of fun, not fast with a good mix of some decent twisty stuff - sadly it's a lot better than what i see in MD. The scenery wasnt bad either. I tried not to get overzealous. Last bit was a good stretch of slab. Nudista took off here and Tony took the lead. By the time we got to summit i couldn't WAIT to get off the bike. My ass cheeks were hurting something fierce. I hadn't planned to stay too long, but ended up staying for almost 4 hours instead of the planned 2. Thanks Nudista and Tony for leading, and Nubbs for sweeping(i think, i was at the front).

Summit Point.

1st time here ever, and as Bexx pointed out "couldnt have done better w/company for your first time at the tracK."(or something to that effect) I couldn't agree more. I met tons of people. Again i tried to introduce myself to most, but i didn't manage to greet everyone. I had a great time and will definatly be up for coming out more often. Quick thanks to Jay and shavedmonkey for the ride to watch some races, and thanks Ladyk for the ride back!

Being the genius i am, i did not print out directions home. I ended up asking the people at DeviousR6's tent. No one there knew, but Chris told me to ask Travis. So i walk over there, introduced myself and hoped he might know. Travis looked beat, but he tried to help me. He kind of gives directions like i do, "descriptions" without a lot of actual road names. I thanked him and told him i'd give it a try. My nerve wavered tho, and i ended up asking Pitpig right before i put my gear on. He included some road names, which combined with the description i got from Travis put me a bit more at ease. I used the directions Pitpig gave me, but if i hadnt chatted with Travis i'd have prob turned back thinking i had taken a wrong turn somewhere. So thanks to both for the directions.

The immediate road out of summit looked like it would have been a lot more fun if i was less concerned of where i was going. I could only recall how sore my rear end was after the ride to summit, the ride home figured to be slightly longer. The stretch of slab took me through harpers ferry, which i have to say, was very pretty. Next time i'll probably pull over and snap a couple photos. Eventually i got on rt 70, and pretty much cruised at 85mph all the way to columbia without incident.

Once again, thanks for the good time - it was great meeting the people i see post all the time. (except for yao, that fucker called me worthless!) Sorry if i didn't say bye to some of you, i was exhausted and wasnt looking forward to the ride home. Next time i might cage it and bring a dog with me.

I took a lot of pics, but my camera is pretty basic and i dont know shit about cameras to begin with. I left it on auto and hoped a few would turn out alright.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Rat's on Crack Attack

May 27, 2008, 12:19 PM

Nudist led... not me, but I'm sure you were looking at my back the whole time... so close enough

"And then, God created man. And I wanted to thank her right then and there for the snake, the apple, and the free will to mess up the entire world"
Unread
  (#3)
Triple Secks

May 27, 2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudista
Nudist led... not me, but I'm sure you were looking at my back the whole time... so close enough
I think i've already proven in another thread how bad i am at matching peoples real names to their SN's if they are even slightly simliar.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#4)
facebook what is that?

May 27, 2008, 12:40 PM

nice pics!

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#5)
Banned!

May 27, 2008, 01:25 PM

MATT WTF!

you live with me and this is the first time i saw the damage!

its not that bad...its nothing.

have fun on todays track day.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 27, 2008, 01:43 PM

no dude you did good. The two that tagged on when we went through Hamilton need some practice. I look back and see a bike go over the double yellow and was like is doing??? then realize the two bikers at that gas station off of rt15 tagged along. it was like the bike train kept growing.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#7)
No! You!

May 27, 2008, 06:57 PM

It was a hella fun ride... and yes, we had the bike train growing and going...

PS. Can you please resize your giantic pics?! lol

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).