DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 621
3 members and 618 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
To ride or not to ride...
Unread
  (#1)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

To ride or not to ride... - October 16, 2008, 02:28 PM

Ok, so after a leg breaking, bike ending crash almost 5 weeks ago... I'm sitting at home with 2 fresh Percocets coursing through my veins, and surfing the web for new bike ideas. This mostly is a daydream, as my injury and a mild helping of common sense would keep me off a bike for the next year anyway.

But as my pain begins to drop and my mobility improves, those immediate feelings after the crash of never wanting to get on another bike begin to fade. As I ride passenger in a cage going to doctor's appts or physical therapy sessions, I see familiar bikes being ridden around leesburg and I'm left with a mixed feeling of anxiety, fear, and disappointment. I ask myself often if it's worth the risk of another major injury to recapture those sublime moments on a bike that pushes us all to ride in the first place. I have a beautiful fiance and a large, supportive family that have all sighed a deep relief that I escaped worse injury or death last month, and they all rest easier at night believing that surely I would have enough sense to stay off of motorcycles.

Until now I have believed that I would move on to other things.. but I've found it difficult to look away when we pass by a bike on the road. The thought of riding again scares me, because I know that I'll want to push myself again to get to that point where body blends with machine and to experience the intoxicating sound of knee slider on pavement. I've always been a "get back on the horse" kind of guy. I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the prospect of never riding again.

Anyone out there ever deal with something like this? How to measure a lifelong passion against family pressure and a sense of responsibility?

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
One of The Usual Suspects

October 16, 2008, 02:38 PM

Ahhhh...I freakin' knew it!

You only live once. You are also statistically much more likely to be injured or killed in an automobile accident.

Eat right, exercise, live healthy...and die anyway!

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

October 6, 2009
We'll always have Dublin...

'02 Honda RC51
'04 KTM 105SX Supermoto
'04 KTM 250SX Supermoto/ Dirt

ATCS, P.L.C.
Engineering, Planning, Surveying
http://www.atcsplc.com/

Fairfax Cycles & ATV's
www.fairfaxcycles.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to toadmeister00  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 16, 2008, 02:55 PM

Quiters never win. I want that on my tombstone.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

October 16, 2008, 03:14 PM

Inner voice, man. That's all that matters.

If you feel like you're missing a part of life that matters to you by not riding, ride. If you're not feeling up to it by the time that you've healed, don't ride.

If you're on the fence and have lingering fears even though you still ache to ride, ride, but also pony up to take a riding class (Total Control, Cali Superbike School, etc.) to boost your confidence (and shake off the rust).

I'm more about having fun than worrying about whether I quit something. If I suddenly stop enjoying riding (for whatever reason), then I'll move on to something else that I find fun.

Just my two cents...
Unread
  (#5)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 16, 2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadmeister00 View Post
You are also statistically much more likely to be injured or killed in an automobile accident.
Where did you find that statistic? Mile for mile, motorcycles are 37 times deadlier than cages. If you're trying to say that nationwide more people die in cars than on motorcycles that can only be because most people don't ride motorcycles. That's sort of like the statistic that says sharks are harmless because only a few Americans ever get bitten by them. But most Americans don't swim in the ocean often, either.

The way I see it, you were willing to risk a crash before you rode, right? We all know that crashes happen and we all accept that risk when we ride. Has your risk increased because you crashed once? If you're a habitual crasher, you might want to leave the bike parked. If this is your first crash in 20,000 miles, you might rethink that position and invest in some serious gear and track days.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 16, 2008, 03:21 PM

I wouldn't even think about it right now. You can't ride for another year, so why make plans and set expecations at this stage? Forget the bike in the meantime. If, once fully recovered, you get the itch, you can weigh the pros and cons and make the decision then.

IMO, bikes are just a convenient transportation method and a fun hobby. The thing is... there are a ton of kick ass hobbies out there. Nothing wrong with trying something new, or using the motorcycle for relaxed convenience rides only and doing something else as your primary hobby...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when the time comes, you will know... and also, when you try a lot of different things, you won't see 1 hobby (motos) as the only option...
Unread
  (#7)
Tough guy

October 16, 2008, 03:30 PM

Hope your feeling better
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#8)
Can't Find the Ditch

October 16, 2008, 03:30 PM

I have broken my leg twice, one major bone infection and five surgeries on it.

You only live once, live it to the fullest. I ride, I know the risk and have crashed twice. I feared the bike each time and after each time I have gotten over the fear, but learned to respect the bike in a new way.

I say ride.

Last edited by Nobrains; October 16, 2008 at 03:41 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

October 16, 2008, 03:34 PM

Redundant post. Yes, I suck...

Last edited by dctex; October 16, 2008 at 03:37 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

October 16, 2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux View Post

Hope your feeling better
D'oh! At least give him something cool to ride like this:

Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

October 16, 2008, 03:37 PM

how did u crash?
Unread
  (#12)
done for now...

October 16, 2008, 03:38 PM

Look at it this way, their is those of us that have been done and those that will. You've been down and bad so i say ride who says you need to wreck again.
Unread
  (#13)
I got nuthin

October 16, 2008, 03:38 PM

Hey man, glad to see your at least concidering getting back on a bike!! My boy broke his femur in 3 places after lowsiding and sliding into a ditch. He swore he would never get back on a bike again, 9 months later he had a new CBR in his driveway. He still rides, he is just a bit more reserved. Its a passion most of us cant live without. Just take it easy on the streets, go to the track!! I need to listen to myself on this one.

Glad you are feeling better!! We will need to head out for some brews soon!!!

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

Thumbs up October 16, 2008, 03:38 PM

I've been down a few times, luckily never any broken bones... but plenty of sprains and road rash from my squiddin days. Only time will tell if you should ride again, just get better, and cross that bridge when you get to it. You don't wanna rush rehab to get back on a bike... I dunno you personally, but I don't think you're livelihood depends on turning 2 wheels. So take your time and do it right... the streets/track will be there when you get better.

As far as other hobbies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM27fujbiXs

MHR Speedy
07 Daytona 675 Street
02 SV650 Track
www.mdhillriders.com
Unread
  (#15)
I got nuthin

October 16, 2008, 03:42 PM

Quote: